Anyone here have a Puma 12V Air Compressor?

bluehash

Adventurer
Hello,
My next project would be adding a Puma 12V compressor to my JK. I was wondering if any of you had one in your jeep.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PUMA-12-VOLT-1-5-GALLON-OIL-LESS-AIR-COMPRESSOR-FREE-SHIPPING-/280790586347

There is a long thread on iH8Mud and people seem to love it.
http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/puma-12v-compressor.166969/

I was considering keeping the compressor and tank in one piece( instead of divorcing them ) and place it above the wheel well, passenger or drivers side, in the cargo area. Not sure if it will fit there though.

Not a jeep.. but you get an idea.
Capture.JPG

More example pics:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/puma-mount-install.543169/#post-7194476

DesertJK

Adventurer
I am considering one of these. I can use it in my Commander, JK, or camper trailer. I have a 5 HP 80 Gallon Puma and it has no issues after 3 years of constant air tool use in my hangar.

bluehash

Adventurer
Thanks for replying.. I might jump on this. I'm wondering how to get the wires from the battery to the rear of the JK.. Do I just get the positive and ground the other to the body?

Jake79

Looks like a cool compressor for the price. Have you found any sources besides eBay? I'm looking forward to seeing your install.

meental

Observer
I have one that I divorced from the tank and have it now plumbed to a 5 gallon tank. Its a little workhorse that will fill 2 285/75/16 from 10 -40 psi in 6 mins, I made a rig to fill 2 tires at once because one at a time was too fast and I'd rather get other things done while airing up. Works well with air tools as well, have yet to need them out in the wild but I've used them to work on the truck just to make sure its feasible.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

slomatt

Adventurer
They are great compressors, very reliable and put out a good amount of air. Mine is ~10 years old and still works as new. I think I purchased it for about $200 so the Ebay item you linked to seems quite over priced.

- Matt

bluehash

Adventurer
Thanks all for chiming in. This seems like a very reasonable buy and a good workhorse.
I can mail them if they are ready for a Group Buy.
Just emailed them: Will let you guys know.

Last edited:

toyotech

Expedition Leader
The link I posted is the best guy to buy from and or set up a group buy. They are not just a ebay store so they can be found if there is an issue. http://www.buzzardgulch.com

I would want in on a group buy if you can get one going. Post link to new thread here if you do. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jake79

Anyone thought about the dual tank one? Looks like it basically doubles the footprint. Not sure if it would be worth it.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
The dual imo is too wide for my liking. I did add a remote tank while keeping the original one. That way if the lines leaked or I mess up my secondary tank. I still can revert back to a complete puma compressor till repairs are made.

slomatt

Adventurer
I purchased two of these from Buzzard gulch about 10 years ago. We installed one on a friend's XTerra with the compressor under the rear bumper, the air tank where the spare tire used to be, and the pressure switch and regulator under the hood. This required a lot of wiring, air hoses, and fittings but it's a very nice OBA setup. Mine got used in my ZJ for many years, and currently I've been using it around the house while installing baseboard (running it off a spare car battery).

- Matt

bluehash

Adventurer
Update:
They got back to me saying they were ready for a group buy. However the single tank is out of stock and the new ones would come in around June. I'll be pinging him again then.

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
I had one of these in a 4Runner I had many years ago and liked it so much that I bought another one for my JK. In the 4Runner I separated the tank from the compressor and shoehorned them into the massive empty space in the rear fender above the wheelwell, but for my JK I've kept it together and I just toss it in the rear footwell when I'm loading up for a trip. I wired up a quick-connect to my under-rear-seat auxiliary battery. It's too big to permanently mount anywhere on the Jeep - it just takes up too much valuable space. It's a very fast compressor and has been perfectly reliable. The small pressure tank is a real nice addition. I can usually fill the 35" tires on 2 vehicles in the amount of time the common Smittybilt "high flow" can fill a single set of 33's. For the price, it just can't be beat!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz