Anyone actually install mini split heat pump on camper?

Healeyjet

Explorer
What about a small 110V window air conditioner mounted in a vented box? Is this not what the Earthroamers have?
Ward

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
What about a small 110V window air conditioner mounted in a vented box? Is this not what the Earthroamers have?
Yep, you nailed it. The residential units are a lot quieter, cost less and have lower power draws than RV-type rooftop units. And if the half-million dollar XV-LTs are running modified window ACs, you're probably safe in inferring that there aren't a lot of more worthwhile options regardless of the cost.

I think I wrote up the math on another thread, but you can get a window unit that will run on 500 watts, which is about 50 amps inverted DC. That doesn't make it practical for constant running off camper battery banks, but it's a nice modest load for an shorepower connection, or even a 1000 watt generator.

This picture shows the Sharp 5500 BTU unit used in my first Sprinter conversion:

DSC02118.jpg

It worked OK, but it was a bit overmatched at higher temperatures. 7500 BTUs would probably have been better. A lot depends on the insulation, window area and the solar gain.

Anyway, if you have a place to put it--and it's particularly important to keep the hot exhaust air separate away from the intake air--a properly-sized window AC might well be the best alternative.

bstory

Observer
Well, after a huge amount of internet research, I have found only about 4 examples of mini-split installations on campers. The ones on trailers seem to work the best because the trailer tongue is a really good place for the outdoor unit. Unfortunately, haven't been able to work out a good spot on our Sprinter for the outdoor unit - it is just too big to go on the side and won't work on the back as we need the rear opening doors. I had hoped to use the tumblehome on the upper portion of the Sprinter sides to advantage, but the outdoor units have to be below the indoor unit, so that won't work. Don't want the expensive big rig truck units with split units under the truck. So until/unless we get another sort of vehicle, this idea will probably be put aside in favor of a window air conditioner installed with a custom box and vent through the side of the van for exhaust hot air. If you become aware of any breakthroughs on the use of mini-splits on vans or smaller trucks, please share?

Two things to note re: the window air conditioners:

1. You can now get window versions of the heat pump air conditioners so you could have both heat and cooling with the same unit. Don't know if the window versions are quiet like the mini-splits - if they are it might be worth spending $900-1200 for one. (The quiet and energy efficiency is the main appeal of the mini-splits for us.) Once they have been on the market for more than a year or so, I'll check back in to see what the reviews say about noise and power use. Also would want one that i heat is capable of providing heat below freezing, which not all heat pumps do well. (Another reason the mini-splits that do that are so enticing.)

2. You can also get window air conditioners with electric resistance heat - like old fashioned electric baseboard heat. This is what we will probably do for the Sprinter short term as these units are much cheaper and we won't use the heat as much as the cooling. However, most have lower BTU ratings for heat than cooling and again, won't help much at temps below 30s, I'd guess.

Here is an example of the heat pump version of the window air conditioner unit - almost the same price range as the good mini-splits:https://www.acwholesalers.com/Fried...VvfrpSt8MAV98tyZmwmWjgSVoIZWj24SD4xoCrsDw_wcB

Here is an example of the cheaper window unit with electric heat:
http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/EP08G11B.html

Here is an example of an install of a smaller window unit in a Scamp trailer:
https://plus.google.com/photos/1127...112725818386464188270&authkey=COXS4d6H1v_GkAE

We'd build it into a cabinet under the bed that is part of the bed support system and vent it out the driver's side of the Sprinter. Would lose some under-bed storage, but the AC should allow us to avoid motels when traveling to and from lots of places we'd like to go. Many of them are seashore or mountain spots that are cool enough when you get there but involve a couple of thousand miles to and from through some hot weather.

Maninga

Adventurer
I spent a couple of hours with Shannon looking at his truck and the split system installed. It really is just a domestic unit being run through an inverter that takes around 350W to run, you can barely hear it running during the day and it works really well. He certainly had us considering moving one of the spare wheels and replacing it with the compressor, getting it running inside. I'm waiting on 400ah of 12V LifePo4 and have 810W of solar, that should be able to run it comfortably.

MrSandman818

INaVANdownBYtheRIVER
I have a 12,000btu Mr. Cool mini split A/C that also puts out 12,000btu's of heat. Got it on eBay for $950 shipped. Took a total of 30 mins to install.

I installed it on my 32' enclosed race car trailer. It already has a 15,000btu roof top unit that works decent. I built a divider wall for living quarters and the car or bikes stay in the back. That way I have less to cool and heat. Bought the trailer since im in the army and move every 3-ish years. Well I had to stay behind for work while my wife moved this time. Got our house rented out and I didn't want to do the whole apartment thing with 3 dogs. So I got a portable 13,000btu ac unit. It couldn't cool my trailer for ****. Finally broke down and got this mini split and I love it. The trailer is a meat locker now in the living quarters. On a 100+ degree day it can cool the entire trailer if I leave the doors to the garage opened all night and use a tower fan to circulate the air. The mini split is uber quiet and doesn't take up any space. I'm only going to use these on my rv's from now on. Once I make it over to North Carolina and settle in. I'm getting or making a truck camper and a mini split will go on it.

Coachgeo

Explorer
Is there a way one can device to connect/Disconect from these? I like that some of these now use DC motors (less power draw) but my camper box will also be used as a truck for hauling so camper box will most often be removed. Might even build a shop trailer and would be awesome if could put an additional inside unit in the shop trailer and when using that plug to it instead of camper box. (never would have both on at same time). I know some double mini splits are available but they are made for two permently mounted inside units; so that solves nothing in this situation

Open to suggestions.

Last edited:

Pjblakey

MrSandman......
How did you route the refrigerant lines to protect from or reduce the effect of vibration/movement? I assume they are copper tube?
Thanks
Peter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94