1990 GMC 2500 4X4 Suburban

TennesseeBoy

Hi guys, I've been lurking around this forum for quite a while and am amazed at the wealth of info that's on here on some of my favorite vehicles. The Polar Bear 'burban is my favorite!

I've found a 1990 GMC 2500 Suburban 4x4 5.7L that a friend is selling. Those are awesome vehicles BTW. It's in pretty good shape, needs a few things but I like to restore so it's all good. It has a freshly rebuilt 5.7L TBI, not a race car, but will do.

My question is, he installed a 6" lift on it, and I'm not familiar with Solid Front Axle Suspension lifts as I've always had IFS Chevy's. What do I need to look at to ensure it's a quality lift that's not going to give me problems. He's had the lift installed for 10 years with no problems, but I want to make sure. It has the add-a-leaf and blocks in the rear, which I may replace with full leaf springs. The front is a just leaf spring lift I think, but I'm not sure what I need to look at. I want to make sure there are not parts stressed out that don't need to be, etc.

Could you guys help me with what to look at? Thanks for humoring the new guy.

Judoka

Learning To Live
Get rid of the clocks in the back first off. They promote axle wrap. Get springs! I think Skyjacker carries lifts that high. It is the shorter lifts that are difficult to find.

TennesseeBoy

Thats one of the first things Im gonna do! im not sure what size to get though. Should simple 6" spring work or should I get an 8" due to a little sag?

In the rear you should just remove the blocks and go with a 6" shackle reversal kit from Off-Road Designs. Better ride and more suspension travel. Check out Ord they make some great stuff for these Squarebody Chevys.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
The best thing you can do is to start the motor and have someone gently turn the steering wheel back and forth a couple of inches or so. While this person is doing said steering wheel gymnastics you should be under the vehicle and looking for any wear. By wear I meen any parts that seems to move and not moving the interlocking part such as tierod ends, steering pitmanarm, and so on. This will commonly show up as something that looks like it is only rocking the ajacent part without actually giving it any travel. Also you should take a pointy object and push it into the rubber, or hopefully urethane parts around the spring hangers and the front sway bar. With 6 inches of lift the stock sway bar may have been removed. Any soft or mushy parts you might find are worn out and need replacement. I hope this helps, cheers, Chilli...:)

Renntag

Adventurer
+1 for recommendation on the shackle flip in the rear. This is key.
Note that axle wrap can be controlled with a bar linking the frame to the axle. Doesnt have to be fancy. Common solution are 'ladder bars". This is nothing more than something to control axle movement used in trucks and race cars. It does add more parts and thus complexity, but think about it.

TennesseeBoy

+1 for recommendation on the shackle flip in the rear. This is key.
Note that axle wrap can be controlled with a bar linking the frame to the axle. Doesnt have to be fancy. Common solution are 'ladder bars". This is nothing more than something to control axle movement used in trucks and race cars. It does add more parts and thus complexity, but think about it.

Do you have a link to a "how-to" on this? Thanks.

TennesseeBoy

The best thing you can do is to start the motor and have someone gently turn the steering wheel back and forth a couple of inches or so. While this person is doing said steering wheel gymnastics you should be under the vehicle and looking for any wear. By wear I meen any parts that seems to move and not moving the interlocking part such as tierod ends, steering pitmanarm, and so on. This will commonly show up as something that looks like it is only rocking the ajacent part without actually giving it any travel. Also you should take a pointy object and push it into the rubber, or hopefully urethane parts around the spring hangers and the front sway bar. With 6 inches of lift the stock sway bar may have been removed. Any soft or mushy parts you might find are worn out and need replacement. I hope this helps, cheers, Chilli...:)

He's letting me have it for a day this week and Ill do this. May post some pictures on here. Thanks!

east_tn_81

Adventurer
J don't think this has been said but blocks can slip when off reading causing all kinds of problems. Get rid of the blocks. Good luck with it.

TennesseeBoy

Definitely getting rid of the blocks. Just have to figure out how to do the math to make the shackle plus the new leaf equal a level ride height.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior