is there a future for Windows tablets and phones

robgendreau

Explorer
I own as many Windows/MS products as Macs.

But seriously? I've never seen anyone young with a MS mobile device. They've got a whopping 2% of the mobile market. That's somewhere south of fail. Palm probably has more. And he says Apple isn't innovating? MS LOST market share when they introduced Win 8, and have yet to make that up. And they can't even convince their XP base to upgrade. It's like changing the menu in a retirement home. Sheesh. And they've lost tons of the server market, down from like 60% to 30%. For years they focused on crushing opposition rather than innovating, and because they had such a large market they didn't have to. And I swear they leave their OS insecure so they can hold their poor customers in thrall to security upgrades; it's a big market. And then they missed the boat on phones, tablets, search engines, the cloud, you name it. I love XBox, but they even had a bit of a misfire when they force bundled the kinect with it.

And they don't seem to have learned much from any of this. They've got some killer office software, but even with Word there are problems; fewer folks need to word process documents every day.

I still keep Windows around since there's a bunch of ham software and GPS software that needs it...but that's often cuz it's using serial ports and XP. That should tell you something about the future of MS. Can anyone name a MS offering in the last 5 years that was cutting edge? Check out this article:

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2014/05/microsoft-please-dont-give-up-on-the-future/

One irony is that the consequences of their business practices of the past has now made them slaves to their user base, rather than vice versa. They got more ink for ending support for a decade-old OS than anything new they've come up with. And as the article notes, now are in back pedal mode. I don't see Apple having to pay much attention to PowerPC users or Newton fans.

But. They are getting their rears kicked so bad in mobile that if they started giving away the OS, and just went for it, they might have a chance. The OP mentioned tablets, but I've recommended to people that instead of getting a tablet buy a touchscreen Win 8 netbook...you can get them for less than many tablets. If MS chopped the price of Win, then they might use that to eat back into the mobile market. Meanwhile, I'm thinking there's some kid in China right now thinking hmm, we already manufacture all the hardware...can I come up with a better OS for all this stuff???

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
the funny thing is, windows phone and tablet software is so far ahead of the rest. But anyone young will not want it because it don't have the "cool" look at my apple phone persona. its I don't care what anyone thinks and this runs awesome. I have swapped out everything to windows based products and could not be happier. I traded my mac mini and cinema monitor for an HP touchsmart and its way ahead, plus the windows tablets and phone are just a joy.

kojackJKU

PRO MAPS. works great, I think my asus tablet has gps built in. but im picking up a bt gps receiver and running of that.

OttawaXJ

Observer
Tablets yes, phones I'm not sure.

Someone mentioned security concerns but as an IT guy who supports Mac and Windows based PCs I can tell you the PCs with Mac OS have had a ton more security problems than the Windows ones.

If you remember Microsoft played with the tablet thing long before anyone else, it just never took off. Microsoft has a bad tendency of being too far ahead of the curve, the technology isn't there to support the software idea they have so it gets tabled until it is. Because they're not a hardware producer they need to wait for someone to take advantage of the software they've designed. Apple has a hardware division and software so they work together to design the product and that's why they SEEM like they have new ideas when in fact they don't. They copy other people's ideas and market them better thats all.

Personally I hate windows 8 and tablets in general. I would much rather a keyboard and track pad.

kojackJKU

My windows tablet has a keyboard and trackpad. and the keyboard has an extra 9 hrs of battery and USB built in. ASUS vivotab RT. Its awesome. My wife loves hers too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94