Securing awning poles while on concrete?

Pitch

I use a couple of 5 gallon buckets and fill with anything local. Rocks, water, sand, wood. Put the poles on the bucket and tie the guideline to the handle.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I use a couple of 5 gallon buckets and fill with anything local. Rocks, water, sand, wood. Put the poles on the bucket and tie the guideline to the handle.

Ditto this. Buckets are cheap, have multiple uses, and 2-4 stack together taking up not much more room than just one.

jruba

Adventurer

Im with this guy , no need to carry all that extra weight all the time , if your at state parks im sure you will find water .

java

Expedition Leader
msr dromedary bags. Fill with water. They have a grommet on one end. Tie to pole.

Honu

lost on the mainland
I would be more the stuff sacks or grocery bags kinda guy or just use my tie down straps around some rocks maybe ?
here I get some rocky ground have thought about making some canva pieces about a 12-18 inches or so square with grommets in the corners and load em up with whatever is around or set on it
might use my scepter cans ?

not sure I would want to carry around extra stuff just for that but something thin like pieces of material could get rolled up with the tarp

geojag

I sometimes camp at Corps of Engineers or state parks with these issues. If you have access to empty feed sacks of any kind, even dog food bags, fill them with whatever is there and put the pointed poles in them. I fill them with the old ash from the fire ring, kill two birds with one stone. For guy lines, we have a lot of camp spots with wood borders, I just keep a handful of wood screws in my truck.

Lilmo

It can be a head sratching puzzle how to weigh down awning poles into concrete. We decided to measure 8ft distance allows for width if awning and just have the front of awning to peg onto the grass as early season trips the grass is too sodden to use so awning is best on the hard standing instead. But we also have the problem of how to best weigh down the 2 poles that are up against caravan at either side. We have come across these water bags which will do nicely to set on the parts that are on the concrete but its the poles that we havent sussed yet. Dont want to carry heavy blocks/bricks adding more weight to pull so cow bells etc are out. Have to sort this out asap.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Since I carry 5 MSI/Septre 20 liter water cans I just use those when the ground is too rocky, too sandy or too muddy. Never had a problem yet except when we stay for a while and use up all the water :). But I do also carry a few aluminum blocks to use as jacking pads. It would be easy to put a couple of ho;es in these to use as tie down points. (just go to the local industrial metal supply place and buy their offcuts).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles