Biodiesel in a FG

Buckstopper

Adventurer
Has anybody run b20 biodiesel in their FG? If so, any ill effects? There is a station near me that sells it and it is about $0.10 to $0.20 / Gal cheaper than Dino-diesel. I used to run this in my F350 with a 7.3l Powerstroke and it ran fine. I got slightly less mileage and did a filter change after a few tanks but otherwise no problems. I'm tempted to put some in the Fuso but thought I'd ask before going down that path. Anybody done this? Did it work out ok?

Buckstopper

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
What other benefit is there to bio diesel? Seems it's only about 2.5%-5% cheaper than diesel. That's, what, .5 mpg difference to make up the cost difference? Is it worth it with a filter change every few tanks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buckstopper

Adventurer
I change fuel filters every oil change regardless of fuel. That keeps the injectors happy. Bio cleans the sludge out of the tank so one filter after a few tanks of bio is the only one needed and the only one that is a result of the use of bio. The reason to do it is to tread lightly on our planet. If it's a push cost wise there is no excuse not to as long as it does no harm to the truck.

By the way, you are in Vancouver just north of me. If you are buying diesel inside the Portland City Limits you are buying diesel that has 5% bio blended in. It's been that way for a few years now and there was no sudden truck crises when it happened.

My question is will a higher % bio have an impact on my truck. Anybody running B20 in their Fuso?

Buckstopper.

lehel1

Adventurer
I change fuel filters every oil change regardless of fuel. That keeps the injectors happy. Bio cleans the sludge out of the tank so one filter after a few tanks of bio is the only one needed and the only one that is a result of the use of bio. The reason to do it is to tread lightly on our planet. If it's a push cost wise there is no excuse not to as long as it does no harm to the truck.

By the way, you are in Vancouver just north of me. If you are buying diesel inside the Portland City Limits you are buying diesel that has 5% bio blended in. It's been that way for a few years now and there was no sudden truck crises when it happened.

My question is will a higher % bio have an impact on my truck. Anybody running B20 in their Fuso?

Buckstopper.

hello all

i can only speak for an 08 fuso fg with the 1st series regeneration system, dont do it. the fuel filter is completely inadequate for this year. in addition you will need to be very careful in adding or making any chance to the fuel filter system as this will lead to low rail fuel pressure and will send you into limp mode.

cheers lehel

Flys Lo

Adventurer
Generally don't run any higher percentage of biodiesel than what the engine is rated for. If it doesn't specify a rating, this means no greater than B5.
The Fuso is rated to run B10 per its Body Builders guide:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...=d0j26DZo6gELw9VfI2OWdw&bvm=bv.66699033,d.cGU

Biodiesel often has some more desirable qualities than conventional diesel fuel sourced from crude, specifically lubrication, however the regulations surrounding Biodiesel still are not great, and the quality can vary greatly from suppliers - this can include things like having higher moisture content, lower pH and other things that can drastically reduce the life of your fuel system, mainly the high pressure fuel pump, the fuel lines and fuel injectors.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Regardless of your use of biodiesel or not, a biodiesel decal is one of the best accessories your truck can have.
A local buddy has a H1 Hummer and would get yelled at, flipped off, car spit on, etc until he put a biodiesel decal on the bumper.
Now all he gets is thumbs-ups, waves and nods. (go figure?)
-
My Fuso is getting one (or two) of the below and then all I need is a french-fry smell generator :sombrero:
no-dino.jpg

Buckstopper

Adventurer
Great sticker! My truck is 2005 so pre DEF and most other pollution control complications. The flushing effect should be the main concern. I am going to wait until shortly before my next oil change and will run a few tanks of b20. I'll start with 1/2 tank if Dino diesel is the net is b10 and see how it runs. If all is good I'll keep going with more b20/less Dino and will report the results. I carry 2 jerry cans of Diesel with me so I can adjust the blend as needed. I'm not due for an oil change for a few months so it may be a while before I post.

Thanks for the feedback.

Buckstopper

1aquaholic

Adventurer
I'm doing a full camper build and converting to veggie oil right now, will post when is on the road, no bio strait restaurant used veggie oil.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

biggoolies

Adventurer
I do not run biodiesel but SVO. Refined cooking oil. Ran down to California and back 2500 miles on veggie oil no problems. 10 percent less power approx. 10 percent less mileage. Make sure ANY fuel you use is refined properly, you will clog your filters in a microsecond and it will run like s-h-i-t-e.

eMULe

10% less HP in a Fuso?

biggoolies-Was that 2,500 mi trip in a Fuso camper? A Fuso down 10% HP in California. I have visions of a VW van at Le Mans with prototypes passing at 200 MPH closing speeds... I have an old one maybe new ones are that much better.

yabanja

Explorer
Lack of consistancy is the problem with bio. We work on diesel vw's and a bad batch of bio can be a very expensive mistake.

biggoolies

Adventurer
biggoolies-Was that 2,500 mi trip in a Fuso camper? A Fuso down 10% HP in California. I have visions of a VW van at Le Mans with prototypes passing at 200 MPH closing speeds... I have an old one maybe new ones are that much better.

I had no problems with the passes in California pulling a 2500 pound military trailer. Yes our Fuso camper. The truck actually runs better on the cooking oil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles