Tacoma TRD Pro driven

paranoid56

Adventurer
Because heavy use requires you to take the drums off to clean and adjust the brake dust doesn't go anywhere and when water gets in. It turns to mud. The self adjusting doesn't always work if you never use your e brake.

Disk are better but I hate how Toyota still integrated a drum e brake. It's so much weight and much more parts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

never had an issue with drums an they are easy to change.
however, your beef with disks with parking brake drums, dont 90% of cars/trucks still use that? i know all the cars with rear disks have always used that same setup.

Clutch

<---Pass
I could not agree more, but I have no doubt that Toyota is letting our domestic brands test the waters here before spending the coin on a venture that may end up sour.
I still think that Toyota quality is superior to it's domestic rivals. I have friends with newer Fords, Dodges, and Chevy's...well GMC but whatever, and it's mind blowing how much time is spent in the dealer service dept. (mostly the GMC) for one reason or another, be it a problem with a failed window support bracket on the Ford, computer issues with the GMC, a front passenger seat on my friends RAM that has turned into a rocking chair. Meanwhile my 4runner scoots along, 15 years old with 162k, no squeaks or rattles, it's tight as a snare drum. My Tacoma, was newer '05, but at 82k its the same thing, I just don't have the faith that our American brands have that quality yet, they may but the problem is that it's going to take some time and some miles to sway diehards like me away. I don't mind trading up regardless of brand, but I need a solid track record before I just ship.

I do agree with you on Toyota quality, they have their small issues too...no brand is perfect. I have owned 3 over the past 25 years for my main vehicle...I think that is pretty good track record. My Tacoma is getting close to the 300,000 mile mark...it just now starting to nickel and dime me.

All of the new trucks seem to be built pretty well, will they go 200-300,000 miles (?) won't know until I personally put one there. The Tacoma is a bit small for me (capacity-wise) so I have been looking at fullsizes...the Tundra is nice, but I think there are better choices in that category.

Mid-size Toyota looks to own that section, but with the Colorado/Canyon...and the Frontier possibly receiving a diesel, Toyota may loose that spot.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
never had an issue with drums an they are easy to change.
however, your beef with disks with parking brake drums, dont 90% of cars/trucks still use that? i know all the cars with rear disks have always used that same setup.

I can turn and set of rotors and slap new pads on before you can one side cut and shoes replaced :)

Yea a lot of cars/trucks use the disk drum setup. I came from Hondas and they had disk with no drum parking brake set up so it was a huge surprise when I switched to all toyotas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
Seriously? Recorded every fuel purchase? You mean more than what is recorded automatically on your bank statement? That really sounds like a lot of work. @ 300 miles per tank that's a lot of data recording. You're devoted.

I know, my wife thinks I'm nutty. It only takes 20 seconds each fill up with an ap on my phone.

Sent via fat thumb

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Meh... It's personal taste, and these are just the grumblings of a guy who doesn't particularly like modern trucks, but I see these as faff to get rid of the last of this gen's Tacomas as "something special" (and charge a pretty penny doing it while up-ing the price of the 4Runner and Tundra in the process). Considering it's all things I either don't care about, don't effect off-road performance, or are things I prefer to use others products for (suspension esp.) they're really not anything I'm interested in. For some they'll be ideal, but I can't help but be further disappointed that when "TRD" goes at a truck, it goes after the appearance first and some sort of tepid minimal off-road improvement goal (usually centered around "desert racing") second instead of making something to go after the Power-Wagon/Rubicon end of the 4wd spectrum. I just REALLY hope we get a more... *ahem* "Rest of the world" flavor replacement for the aging Tacoma.

The Nissan/Cummins talk, the supposed Canyon Diesel (although I won't touch GM products) and the Ram Eco-Diesel are the most exciting things going in New N.American trucks right now IMO. I have a sneaking suspicion since Chrysler-Fiat have now put a small diesel in both the Ram and the GC that it just MIGHT find it's way into the Wrangler (that it hasn't already still really confuses me).

My biggest hopes are that Toyota's waiting the others out to see how they're received and then maybe we finally step into modern times and get Diesels in our trucks (hell swapping to a small diesel in the Prius MIGHT actually make it perform as claimed somewhere other then stop/go traffic). Toyota's already in a great position with a full line of diesels made in-house for everything from small cars to mid-sized 4wds to commercial applications. I'm also willing to bet the 5th Gen 4Runner was designed around being able to have a diesel stuck in it should they go down that road... Just a hunch but...

If only... The minimal bit of hope I have for humanity and that reasonable thought and common sense might become a "thing" says "OOOH they just might do it!!!"... the more dominant "we're screwed if this is what were working with as a species" side of me says I'm just setting up for more disappointment.

Cheers

Dave

Clutch

<---Pass
The Nissan/Cummins talk, the supposed Canyon Diesel (although I won't touch GM products) and the Ram Eco-Diesel are the most exciting things going in New N.American trucks right now IMO. I have a sneaking suspicion since Chrysler-Fiat have now put a small diesel in both the Ram and the GC that it just MIGHT find it's way into the Wrangler (that it hasn't already still really confuses me).

That 5.0 Cummins was slated for the Dodge, Ram, whatever they are calling it now....but since the Fiat merger, killed that. Which might be a good thing for Nissan.

Beyond me why a diesel hasn't found it's way into the Wrangler...that hot seller would be even more so. What more could you ask for, stripped down bare bones, coil sprung solid axle...annnnnnd a diesel. Be a real winner for the off-road community.

nickw

Adventurer
Was riding my bike to work here in Hillsboro Oregon, saw new Pro rigs, Tundra / Tacoma / 4Runner cruising in tight formation. They must be doing some sort of promotional thing.

Have to admit, color is awesome!

Toiyabe

Adventurer
That 5.0 Cummins was slated for the Dodge, Ram, whatever they are calling it now....but since the Fiat merger, killed that. Which might be a good thing for Nissan.

Beyond me why a diesel hasn't found it's way into the Wrangler...that hot seller would be even more so. What more could you ask for, stripped down bare bones, coil sprung solid axle...annnnnnd a diesel. Be a real winner for the off-road community.

You mean for the American market, right? You can get diesels in the Wrangler pretty much everywhere but NA.

Tinfish

Observer

$10 says if they ever offer a diesel it will be only with an auto transmission and in the most luxurious trim.

I bought a tacoma regular cab last year because that is the only comparatively small and reasonably rugged truck still available. I don't use it to tow so the small engine is fine. MPG is ok but not great, and so far at least it seems well built and likely to last. But if I needed to tow or carry heavy loads, the tacoma wouldn't have been on the list, because there are better options for that.

zscott

Adventurer
I keep wondering why people are so against the fact that the current Tacoma is 10 years old. Toyota's are known for reliability and as long as it has that, who cares if the design is 10 or 20 years old

CYK

Adventurer
I keep wondering why people are so against the fact that the current Tacoma is 10 years old. Toyota's are known for reliability and as long as it has that, who cares if the design is 10 or 20 years old

What he said. You can't be a reliability leader while at the same time debuting new engines, transmissions, electronic doodads on the regular like the Europeans and to some level domestics do.

Toyota at its core remains centered on quality, durability and reliability. To do this they call on more conservative, measured product release plays.

Not sure why so many customers can't grasp this engineering concept.

I celebrate it.

bkg

Explorer

Because it hasn't changed in 10 years and toyota continues to demand premium prices. Why buy a 35k 2014 when it's barely different than a 2005n

tyv12

Adventurer
Because it hasn't changed in 10 years and toyota continues to demand premium prices. Why buy a 35k 2014 when it's barely different than a 2005n

Because the 2005 isn't a new truck....a 2014 is still a new truck demanding new price. So do you think the 79 series land cruisers overseas that haven't really changed in 20 years should change just for the sake of it, if it ain't broke don't fix it! I would pay 35k for lots of "older body styles" if they made them
New again wouldn't u? For example a 2014 land cruiser fj80 diesel even if it wasn't some new plastic rig like the new stuff is becoming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne