tmleadr03 builds up "The Tank" FZJ80

All-Terrain

No Road Required
Great photos!

What size tires are you on?

How do your truck do with the altitude? Do you daily drive this truck as well?

tmleadr03

Observer
Great photos!

What size tires are you on?

How do your truck do with the altitude? Do you daily drive this truck as well?

285/75R16 Duratracs. So far I like them.

This truck is a dog in the mountains. I am in second gear up the roads heading out of denver and usually 45 mph on a lot of the hills. I would love more power. But once I get to the dirt it does just fine. Thou the I keep it in low so I dont feel like I have to press so much on the gas pedal.

And yes I drive this daily right now. To lazy to fix my other car which is better on the city streets.

All-Terrain

No Road Required
Were the 33's on it when you bought the truck, or did you put them on?

Wondering if the tire size increase made much a difference from stock in power delivery up there at altitude...?

tmleadr03

Observer
Last weekend. Did a pass, found some abandoned stuff.

20140720_103343_zpspqq0flgv.jpg

20140720_103019_zpsapdymcyu.jpg

20140719_131748_zpsmcayqmfz.jpg

20140719_131127_zpsltq317uf.jpg

20140719_124841_zps0dl69jxf.jpg

20140719_124947_zps8jct6fv6.jpg

tmleadr03

Observer
Look what came in the mail!

20140725_120202_zpsv8yzkgvr.jpg

Old and busted:
20140725_163805_zps5gptmje4.jpg

New:
20140725_164610_zpscmltdspz.jpg

Haven't had a chance on anything but city streets to try them out, but I can't wait to try some washboards again.

tmleadr03

Observer
Got to try out the new shocks! They are fantastic! Even loaded heavier then I was before I got them. I did some 25-30 mph driving through pretty rough terrain and it was easier to control, and incredibly smoother to drive. Would highly recommend.

Now here is why it was heavier. This showed up in the mail this last week. Got a Kukenam Sky I ordered from Box Rocket. Incredibly easy to do business with. Got the tent to me with in a week of ordering. If I decide to get any more I will absolutely be calling him.

20140814_111315_zpssapat0j0.jpg

20140814_112243_zpsbcfu6yzk.jpg

I went with Thule bars to mount it. I don't know how long I want to keep doing it as a roof top tent. Eventually I want to do a trailer top tent. The other reason for the Thule is there is less weight higher up. Boy am I glad I did that! More on that later.

This weekend I took my daughter camping in it. We stepped out friday night hoping to make it to the Crested Butte area before we stopped that night. Didn't make it, ended up just outside of Buena Vista. The San Isabel National Forest is on both sides and we were in the East side. I typically try to never hit the same trail twice but I had made a camp at this spot last time I was in the area and decided to hit it this night since it had already gotten dark out and the munchkin was knocked out already. Not to mention I was tired. So the first time I set up this Kukanam Sky was that night other them flipping it open in my shop. In the dark, doing it for the first time I got it set up in about 10 minutes. Note to everyone, the holes for the awnings still have some burs in them, don't feel around for them in the dark.

Next morning loaded up and headed back towards Crested Butte. Only we went via Cottenwood Pass. Added some time but the views were pretty good.

20140816_092119_zps8zj2qlsy.jpg

Our goal was Pearl Pass. I wanted to find a good camping spot on the Crested Butte side of the top. That place has some absolutely lovely trails towards the bottom. Starts to get just a little technical as you get higher.

20140816_122348_zps8vyzk4zp.jpg

20140816_130546_zpshdpm8fki.jpg

Some orthodontist is gonna make a decent month of my little girl... lol
20140816_131021_zpstoqpedhr.jpg

This is how easy the tent is the set up. The munchkin was getting cranky and it was nap time. Flat spot and less then 5 min later she was taking a nap. Ok, so was I...

20140816_133909_zpsy7oguesv.jpg

We found a camp site below the tree line and set up.

20140816_173044_zpsnfcrgin1.jpg

Got dinner going.
20140816_161035_zpspataz5ux.jpg

Even had a deer swing by after we were in the tent hiding from the mosquitoes. Kiddo was absolutely thrilled.

Next morning packed up after some breakfast and headed to the top. The Crested Butte side has a couple of shelf roads but nothing major. The Cruiser felt a little more tippy, but that could be me. I am finding I don't like shelf roads much.

20140817_083635_zpshkki4ptx.jpg

20140817_084456_zpsbger3z96.jpg

20140817_092617_zpsze2qnhhy.jpg

20140817_092635_zpsmavfik6o.jpg

I don't really have any pics of the part right after the pass. That is the hairy part. The shelf road is slightly washed out in a couple of spots. I was creeping along and I have to say, perhaps I am just a big wimp but when the cruiser leans away from the wall and over the edge I clench. Even when in my head I know it is barely any lean at all. Until it is. One of the washes I picked the best line I could. Perhaps should have done slightly different. Don't know. Anyways the right front wheel went lower then I expected and the truck really felt tippy. So I opened the door up, stood up on the running board and looked back. At my rear tire hanging at full droop. I got the kid out. When I had her out I slowly stepped off the running board and onto the trail and the wheel came up a bit. That was... not fun. I pushed on it a bit and it didn't seem to be going anywhere so I got back in gingerly and made it through with my kid a few feet down the trail and one hand on the door handle. Sorry, no pics. It just wasn't a top priority at that point.

Rest of the way down was less exciting, though there is one section that I could have used a spotter for. I ended up getting out about 6 times to check my lines going through it and still managed to bang and bend up my trailer hitch.

20140817_093626_zps7gnfqlk9.jpg

Just out of the technical part mentioned.
20140817_103027_zpspn9lb8lg.jpg

20140817_103039_zpswhx4k2s3.jpg

It never looks as hard in pictures. But there are some nice drops for your wheels in there to get your lodged high center if you goof.

The rest of the way down at that point was smooth. The shocks are solid. The Tank handles completely different and better. I am really glad I didn't get a roof rack to put the tent on. Though I am going to do some research on what feet I can get that are a bit shorter.

ETA: Here is the camping spot I was at. I don't do the same trail twice so I wont be hording this one. It was a nice spot but the view was only ok. Slightly before and after the view was much better, but no fire pit.

38.96267,-106.83314

Last edited:

tmleadr03

Observer
Got a check engine on last weekends trip. O2 sensor number 2. Wiring diagrams call them left and right, not one and two. So lets just do both.

The nuts were all sorts of corroded. Ended up using a combination of vice grips and air hammer to get them off.

20140826_160440_zpsoila34zo.jpg

20140826_160257_zpsiz4hfmln.jpg

20140826_160304_zpsvugwkaaj.jpg

All-Terrain

No Road Required
How does it run after the new O2 sensors? Any noticeable change?

Also, do you have a map that shows the route you took? I am heading out to that area soon to visit my parents who live out there, and wouldn't mind following a similar track.

Sounds like you had a scary moment out there! I would also have been pretty freaked with my little girl in the truck.

If you need another truck to convoy with, we can try to hook up at some point.

Be careful out there. Great photos!

tmleadr03

Observer
How does it run after the new O2 sensors? Any noticeable change?

Also, do you have a map that shows the route you took? I am heading out to that area soon to visit my parents who live out there, and wouldn't mind following a similar track.

Sounds like you had a scary moment out there! I would also have been pretty freaked with my little girl in the truck.

If you need another truck to convoy with, we can try to hook up at some point.

Be careful out there. Great photos!

It seems to be running fine. It wasn't misfiring or anything of the like before. I notice that when I clear the codes it idles a bit rough after for about 10 min then smooths out. I think the real test is going to be fuel economy this weekend. See if I get a .5 mpg bump.

This is the route from Buena Vista to the Pearl Pass trailhead on the Crested Butte side.

https://goo.gl/maps/fCJpe

Once you get to the pass it is pretty straight forward. Watch out for mountain bikers. They pedal over this thing. 19 miles up, 18 miles down.

tmleadr03

Observer
Decide that a three day weekend was going to do nothing but make the mountains crazy. So I went the other direction.

20140901_095241_zpsd8kjedzu.jpg

Found a one horse town, and that horse was old and tired. Most of the shops were closed for good on main street, and all of them were closed on Sunday.

20140831_113050_zpskffqsweu.jpg

Ended up here.

20140831_133559_zpsga9ozyeb.jpg

Camped at Minatare Lake.

20140831_173908_zpsqd8tghco.jpg

Had one small issue with the tent. Nuts.

20140901_071058_zpscyjrf5co.jpg

Even Nebraska has hills.
20140901_093852_zpsrkdsqx1q.jpg

tmleadr03

Observer
One of the nuts holding the ladder to the brackets came off. I stepped on it getting out the next morning and it twisted under me. I ended up just hoping down and found one side completely off. Put the bolt through and it worked long enough to button everything up. Not a big deal. Couldn't find the nut. I will just redo it tomorrow at the shop. With blue loctite.

tmleadr03

Observer
After the last update everything was very messy in the cruiser, mostly due to some serious winds/dust storms in NE. So I cleared everything out over the week after. Empty cruiser, still same fuel economy. LOL. The next weekend I was at breakfast with my daughter and decided "Lets go hit a trail, no camping since I don't have anything in the cruiser but an easy trail would be fun!" So we went to Argentine Pass and explored a mine on the way.

20140906_105621_zpswbfenuw8.jpg

20140906_110759_zps7bymn2ts.jpg

20140906_110423_zps7je7snb1.jpg

20140906_115132_zpsrzptxeeq.jpg

Top of Argentine Pass.
20140906_120959_zpsoz3gf00l.jpg

20140906_121148_zpsj5timssd.jpg

20140906_121325_zpsmierufwf.jpg

Then I went and got stupid. And careless. Bad combo, but I was lucky.

On the way back down from the pass I spotted a trail crossing the creek on my right. Checked my topo map on my phone and it looked like it went all the way back to the trailhead but on the other side of the valley. Sounds like fun, so off I went. The trail was not as well traveled, but it clearly was traveled and taken care of for most of the way. I got the far end and hit some switchbacks heading down.

20140906_133948_zpsl91adaqg.jpg

Then I slid just a little. It was at that point I started to realize that the trail wasn't really there anymore. It had become the side of the mountain...

Here is the spot where I started to slide.
20140906_143750_zpsyygxphdk.jpg

You may remember where I said I had emptied the cruiser? Yup, still empty. Clearly like my head. So I backed up a little and slid down the side of the hill more. For every 6 inches back I made it 1 ft further down towards the edge.

20140906_154525_zps5ckcwwec.jpg

This was with building up the "trail" with rocks and trying to slow my slide down. If I was with someone I would have tried powering back and just go for it. But no, I was just with my 6 year old daughter.

Left rear tire.
20140906_175249_zps8upbhzmv.jpg

This was the point where I decided discretion was the better part of valor. I don't think it would have rolled, but it could have gotten more stuck and/or tilted even more. I stopped messing with it, the ROI for continuing to mess with it wasn't there. Not when I was by myself with my daughter. The cruiser was tilted, but it wasn't too horribly uncomfortable to sleep in. The tent on top would open to the downward side so it was worthless. And my sleeping bags were in there... Yup, empty headed to say the least.

Here is where I got lucky. By myself I would have grabbed a camel back and hiked out to get help or a ride. With my daughter? Not happening. But I did have cell phone signal. 4gLTe even. So I posted up on a local forum asking for help. And got some. One guy headed out to help. At the main trail head he ran into a couple of jeepers who said "We can't leave him out there lets go get him." Those three met up about 7 or 8, and drove around trying to find me till 1 in the morning. Then it was an hour later of winching me out and getting turned around. 0330 before I got to the gas station in the closest town. 0530 before I was in bed. 24 hours up. I am not as young as I used to be, that sucked.

Haven't been back to the trails since. Will probably be going next weekend. I told myself when I got off that hill side I wasn't heading back out till I had everything I needed extract myself. Still waiting on a winch I ordered that was 2-3 weeks backordered. I have have all the straps, tree savers, come alongs, and chain I need. They will now live full time in the back.

ETA: What doesn't show in the pic is that there is not much left to slide on on the downhill side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles