tmleadr03 builds up "The Tank" FZJ80

tmleadr03

Observer
I am planning a major road trip this winter. Between Dec19 and Jan4 this year.

trip_zps88447c92.jpg

Working on figuring out everything I need for it. Plan on doing a bit of camping through out. Now to work out a list of things I need. I know for certain that I need a better jacket, boots and pants for outdoors in the Rockies in Canada and the US in the winter.

Fugly

Adventurer
G'Day! Mate..
Thanks very much for posting those Great Pic's
The 80 series is a fantastic wagon....
I have had mine for 5 years..

Cheers
Fugly

tmleadr03

Observer
Went for a little run today. Nothing crazy. But I do now have my light bar installed and wired to my highbeams. Wow. Seriously. Wow. Major difference. I had thought the light throw on the stalk was good, but the light bar is wild.

0R1fZACl.jpg

LRIzlZ1l.jpg

Sk2U2yOl.jpg

Isjkqdpl.jpg

FvQfEMT.jpg

VyQMY9El.jpg

Found some mud, don't know what it is about splashing in puddles that turns me into a 10 year old kid.
RaSQNpjl.jpg

Light bar installed.
hWhaD5ml.jpg

Potato pic of headlight operation.
VCZ0RKIl.jpg

Potato pic of highbeams with light bar.
xs1exc3l.jpg

tmleadr03

Observer
Just a quick run up into the hills. Wont be much longer before these trails get impassible.

XUVrNFbl.jpg

nBBjrDRl.jpg

Little water crossing, lots of ice flow.
CzivNVsl.jpg

Sxjz1hil.jpg

Went to a plane crash site. Interesting how much debris is still around.
5aWe6v9l.jpg

KB1rOtDl.jpg

FgdxcJrl.jpg

crQ0lpxl.jpg

DDsnKMul.jpg

eNMowzVl.jpg

tmleadr03

Observer
First road trip of the year. Never did get to do the massive 3600 mile one I wanted to do this winter.

The Tank needs some TLC but I passed on that since none of it is going to leave me stranded anywhere. Oil pump seal, tie rod end, and power steering lines. And birfs.
3ZvjPk5.jpg

ED4vevP.jpg

Aq4sc3Y.jpg

Just need to get them done before any serious off roading.

I decided to head down to the corner of my state by Cortez, CO and visit Mesa Verde. Beautiful country. The drive down was all hardball. Left late on Friday and stopped in Pagosa Springs to sleep. Continued on to Mesa Verde the next morning.

I really get why the indians spent so much energy to live in the cliffs, but it sure is cool looking.

hyMcbCl.jpg

You can just make out some of the dwellings in this panoramic.

Just over the kiddos right shoulder is the biggest cliff dwelling.
7aVmcNk.jpg

FHVvjt2.jpg

Crashed that night in Cortez after eating at La Casita De Cortez. If you are with in a days drive of this restaurant, drive there. I swear the best Mexican food I have had in years.

Sunday morning and it is time to start making my way back to Denver area. But not directly.

From Cortez we headed north to Delores, CO. Hung a hard right and headed straight north. Forest Service Road 526 will take you all the way through Norwood. Beautiful country, and traffic is seriously minimal. I think we saw 5 other moving vehicles the entire time. And I may have gotten us stuck snow bashing. Then unstuck, then stuck again, and finally unstuck.

Pr8wHTM.jpg

znMNabD.jpg

L4votW6.jpg

OGDG7Tj.jpg

h0fPjL7.jpg

IvfQB50.jpg

Heading out of the valley we had been traveling in.
O2gFVWz.jpg

Fa3fb2l.jpg

YaVrMRz.jpg

We had lunch at Norwood. Nothing special, but that is kinda to be expected of a town of that size. Then headed towards Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park.

MjXmHIT.jpg

Honestly I needed another day for this trip. I could have spent the night at the Black Canyon and then explored the next morning pretty easily. But we took a nap and headed back down the road back to Denver area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles