1979 416 with camper

amg463

Observer
What do you guys think is a reasonable price to pay for this rig? Has the 5.7L diesel, is far from mint but runs good.

p3.aleado-1.jpgp3.aleado-2.jpgp3.aleado.jpg

sambot

Observer
Pass on the info

If you don't buy it, please pass on the info of the seller so that we may make an offer. What country is this located in? I'd love to have it, but need a lot more info before making an offer.
Thanks

Joe917

Explorer
OK I'll do it, I would guess somewhere around $20 000 with that box. A great base to build on, but without more details about mechanical condition and extras its real hard to say, I could be off $10000 either way.

amg463

Observer
Will end up costing right around that, before any works been done. If anyone wants it I'd be more than happy to accept a finders fee for info :ylsmoke:

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
OK I'll do it, I would guess somewhere around $20 000 with that box. A great base to build on, but without more details about mechanical condition and extras its real hard to say, I could be off $10000 either way.
A only-slightly informed guess from me as well, but I'd be a little stronger than $20K. A good 416 by itself could easily be worth that, and the box, if it is big enough for your use, is well-mated to the truck. Points off for rear- instead of side- entry, and for what look to be the cheapest possible windows. Points back for a cool ladder and roof rack setup that would make a good mounting for a roof-top tent. Big demerits if there are any leaks in the cabin or if the mounting system is dodgy.

So, $25-30K if the underlying 416 is good to go, though much less if it has any issues at all. And run away if the truck has significant rust.

FWIW, if you have not driven one or are not familiar with their driving and performance characteristics, know that 416s often aren't a good mix with North American roads and, especially with no turbo, North American terrain. My 416 camper, which had 110 hp and redlined at 54 mph, was generally not happy when subjected to either either Portland urban traffic or Oregon's frequent steep grades.

Tennmogger

Explorer
AMGnnn, I have missed seeing your post. That is a nice camper in the making. Looking at the overall height, the interior headroom, and knowing where the frame on a 416 should be, I wondered if this is a traction head application with a non-Unimog rear axle. But yet there is apparently a portal axle in the rear. How did the builder achieve so much standing room in the box?

Mike, what do you think? You have had more experience with a traction head than anyone I know.

Bob

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Mike, what do you think? You have had more experience with a traction head than anyone I know.
I can't figure it out from the pictures. You're right, Bob, that it looks too tall inside to have portals, but you can't tell otherwise. And I can't figure out why the wheel wheels are not very high but are unusually wide, unless to clear the portal setup. Color me perplexed.

If it is a traction head, I wouldn't count that as a negative. I was always pleased CamperMog had that big NAF axle under the rear instead of portals. Seems to me that the portal hubs on a 416 are a big potential failure point even without the weight of a full-on cabin sitting over them. CamperMog had all the ground clearance necessary (near 11") for anyplace you were going to take something that big, so losing the rear portals on a big camper never seemed to me to be a negative.

It'll be nice if the original poster comes back with some more information, and maybe some more pictures, so we have a bit more context for our kibitzing.

amg463

Observer
Have no way of identifying any more than what's in these photos guys, a bit of a risk if I do say so myself

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
Here's a picture without the front plate blocked out. The hub bolts look the same front/back, I'd guess it's not a traction head.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke