Any good camp stove/grill combos out there?

Vinman

Observer
I had an old style Coleman combo grill/stove (grill on left side) about 10 years ago and really liked it. I recently picked up their current version (grill on right side) and it looks like a cheap POS compared to how I remembered the old one. Are there any other brands I should look at?

troyboy162

Adventurer
Ive been looking too. They all seem to be pretty crappy at best with a couple uses on a picnic table in mind. This is the most positive one I have found, but I'm not rushing out to buy it either :/

http://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Mountain-Series-Griddle/dp/B005GIOMQ4

ms2gg_set_700x467.jpg

Scoutn79

Adventurer
I am keeping an eye on this thread.
I have been looking for one for the last year or better. None seem to be of very good quality and seem to have issues of poor craftsmanship/design/QC. It seems, just as you mentioned, they all are designed for once or twice a year use for a few years on a picnic table not bounced around the back of a truck for 20 years.
Darrell

perkj

Explorer
If you want something stout that will out live you, just buy an old Coleman 413 stove and then add a Lodge reversible griddle/grill combo

Here is a Lodge single burner griddle with "grill" side up:
Utah2013142640x480_zpsa8e5808f.jpg

Here is a Lodge dual burner model with the skillet side up:

Last edited:

Vinman

Observer
Ive been looking too. They all seem to be pretty crappy at best with a couple uses on a picnic table in mind. This is the most positive one I have found, but I'm not rushing out to buy it either :/

ms2gg_set_700x467.jpg

I've seen is model as well but seem to have a heck of a time getting one to Canada without ridiculous shipping charges. In fact, I just tried to order one through your link and an message pops up stating Amazon cannot ship this to Canada.

lostagain

Observer

ms2gg_set_700x467.jpg

I've owned this one for about a year and love it. It gets used every other weekend just about and has cooked a ton of different foods on it. What I like the most about it compared to my Coleman I had is the fact that its low heat actually is low, the Coleman didn't have a low setting really and this will go way low. I'd just recommend getting the camp chef bag separately. The one that comes with it is a garbage material that mine didn't make it one trip. Camp chef sells another one separate of their stoves that is made from a heavy duty canvas and hols up well.

Vinman

Observer
I just ordered the Camp Chef Rainier grill/griddle/stove combo from Backcountry.com for approx. $142.00 shipped to my door.
Thanks for the positive recommendations.

luk4mud

Explorer
The problem with grills like that is that there is no lid, so grilled good ends up too dry for my tastes. I guess you could try a wok lid on top and see how that works. I had one of the colemans and donated it to the scout troop, went back to my butane one burner stove and volcano grill.

perkj

Explorer
The problem with grills like that is that there is no lid, so grilled good ends up too dry for my tastes. I guess you could try a wok lid on top and see how that works. I had one of the colemans and donated it to the scout troop, went back to my butane one burner stove and volcano grill.

Yep, I came to the same conclusion but I went with the Weber Go Anywhere Grill and a single burner stove. Found a very nice carbon steel griddle that fits the Weber Go Anywhere perfectly so I can also use the GOAnywhere to say cook pancakes, eggs, etc. I think the Volcano offers a nice griddle too that is a perfect fit for it.

garwhal

Observer
I highly, highly recommend partner steel from Idaho. Their USA made stoves are phenomenal. I just received their gridle and so far it is meeting my expectation: does not warp, cleans easily and cooks evenly

Vinman

Observer
Well, I just received the stove in the mail today and I must say, initial quality looks pretty good, much, much better than the new Coleman grill/stove combo I bought then returned after seeing how flimsy and cheap appearing it was, nothing like the older models.
Now I have to wait for the first camping trip in a few weeks. I'll do a follow-up review post after I get the chance to try it out.

Scoutn79

Adventurer
Well, I just received the stove in the mail today and I must say, initial quality looks pretty good, much, much better than the new Coleman grill/stove combo I bought then returned after seeing how flimsy and cheap appearing it was, nothing like the older models.
Now I have to wait for the first camping trip in a few weeks. I'll do a follow-up review post after I get the chance to try it out.

What do you mean you have to wait for the first camping trip??? Aren't you going to eat between now and then? They work just as well at home as on the trail...besides you don't want to get to camp and realize there is a problem. You ALWAYS have to try out new camping gear in the house/yard first....at least I do :costumed-smiley-007

Darrell

Vinman

Observer
Lol, I guess you do have a point there. The thought of it not working never even crossed my mind, may have to have a BBQ this weekend to try it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles