Family OBX Loop

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
We recently had an awesome 6 day trip with our little girl. We stayed in hotels and biked about 50 miles each day totaling just under 300 miles. We used adventure cycling association maps, starting in Elizabeth City NC and looping all the way back through the OBX. My daughter and I toured on our Surly Big Dummy with her Yepp seat on the back.

Our blog has all the daily details, but the below videos capture some of the highlights. Enjoy, and get out there on your bikes!

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
Butch, how are you transporting the Big Dummy? Care to post up your set up?

Funny you would ask... At the moment it just sits in the middle of our van, however this is a huge waist of space
image.jpg

Our thule rack pictured above is currently with a welder who is extending the tray 12 inches so we can put the bike where it belongs. The next step is a receiver on the front of the van so we can freely open the rear doors without needing to remove the bikes.

Butch

p nut

butter
Funny you would ask... At the moment it just sits in the middle of our van, however this is a huge waist of space

Our thule rack pictured above is currently with a welder who is extending the tray 12 inches so we can put the bike where it belongs. The next step is a receiver on the front of the van so we can freely open the rear doors without needing to remove the bikes.

Butch

Thanks for the reply. I am still contemplating how to bring the BD along in my LC. I think it would be too wide to carry on the bike rack. I am thinking of a vertical set up like this:

http://northshoreracks.com/NSR 4-bike.htm

It would probably need to be custom, though. Perhaps a cheaper/simpler option is to have a S&S coupler installed.

Nice videos, by the way. I'll just leave my comments at this, as to not hijack the thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne