2006 Lj Build Prep...

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
We're buying a 05-06 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon in the next couple of week and I'm looking to put my build Plan together. I'll be looking to build a Jeep that will be close to as capable as our 2012 Unlimited was for overland travel and camping.
I have two plans of action. I just have to decide witch way to go.
Plan 1:
Old Man Emu 2.5" Suspension System Heavy Kit Or Teraflex TJ 2" Suspension
Tera Flex Belly up Skid.
Tera Flex 1" body lift.
1" M.O.R.E Motor Mount Lift
Tera Flex Wheel Adapters
Jk Rubicon Wheels and 255/75 r17 BFG
Warn VR 8000lb Winch
LoD Xpedition Series Rear Bumper & Tire Carrier
Spod
IPF Lights

Plan 2
Nth Degree 3.0" Frequency-Tuned Coil Springs
Bilstein 5100 Series Shocks
Nth Degree Tummy Tucker
Nth Degree Rear Spring Relocators
1" Transmission Transfer Case Drop Spacers
Tera Flex Wheel Adapters
Jk Rubicon Wheels and 255/75 r17 BFG
Warn VR 8000lb Winch
LoD Xpedition Series Rear Bumper & Tire Carrier
Spod
IPF Lights

Later down the Road both options:
Nth Degree Adjustable Upper and Lower Short Control Arms Front/Read
Gobi Roof Rack

Over all anyone have an opinion with one option over the other???

Nate

onemanarmy

Explorer
I'd lose the wheel adapters, body lift, and motor mount lift....that raises the drivetrain and then you want to lower the tranny/t case down an inch?

just adds cost and not needed for camping trips

but I love the LJ Unlimiteds. I want one myself.

CRolandLJ

Adventurer
He needs those things except for the wheel spacers for the belly up skid and im guessing the spacers are adapters to the pattern for the JK rubicon wheels.

I have no experience with either lift but LJ's are awesome.

I liked your JKU also so this should be a good build too.

hamr26

Observer
I did not use the brands you listed, but I did body lift, motor mount lift and tummy tuck at same time and the combination of all 3 works well. Some may say chose a heavier winch rating although I am trying to rebuild and install a 9000# winch now.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Thanks for the Compliments on my 2012 CRolandLJ, unfortunately were going to have to sell it. My wife wants a nicer house so I'm Sell the 2012 to help make the down payment and getting the Lj for my new DD. The well adapter/Spacers are only so I can use the JK wheel. I got a hell of a deal on a set with about 1000 miles on them.

Fargo

Adventurer
First off I think your choice in tire size is great. I have an 05 LJ (Rubihara) that I run 285/75R16 Cooper STTS. They are great tires but I often think I would be happier with the load range C 255/75R17 that is on the JKs. So I applaud you for your choice in tire size. My lift setup is a BDS 2" lift with Terraflex 1" body lift. I am using Bilstein 5160s for shocks. My BDS springs only netted me about 1 1/2" over the stock Rubi springs.

Here is what I would do. Put the tires on first and see how much room you have. Flex them every way you can and see where they touch. I have a feeling you might be able to get away with only a 1"-1 1/4" body lift. Keeping the stock suspension will help to keep control arm angles down and will improve the ride. You might be able to do a body lift along with some 1" spacers on the stock springs too for just a little more height.

If however, you want a suspension lift I would keep it down around 2"-2 1/2". I think that would fit those 255s as well without the body lift. With the LJ you will NOT need a transfercase drop with a 2-2 1/2" lift. However, things can get more complicated when you start doing tummy tucks.

For springs I think the OME Med springs would be a good choice. The LJ specific springs might be pretty stiff in the rear unless you have a heavy load. Those LJ springs are stiffer than my BDS and I sometimes wonder if I am too stiffly sprung when empty. Loaded I am fine.

The AEV springs will give you way more lift than you need for those 255s. It is my understanding they are quite stiff and typically lift 3 - 3 1/2". So unless you are planning on being very heavy they might be too much.

Speaking of weight, I would try to keep the weight down as much as possible. Weight is the enemy of performance. Check out http://undercoverfab.com/ for some aluminum tummy tuck options. Also check out Savvy offroad. They have a complete package that includes an aluminum tummy tuck and their 3" progressive rate springs. Most people get 2 1/2"-3" with the Savvy Springs.

For shocks, I would consider the Bilstien 5160. They offer more travel and compress smaller. They will also perform better in hot climates due to the remote reservior. They are more expensive than the 5100s but I love mine. I have no experience with the 5100s however.

In short, I don't think you will need both a suspension lift and a body lift to run those tires. Either one would do fine. Stock suspension with a body lift and a tummy tuck would give you more clearance than guys running 3" lifts with no tummy tuck and you would have a very nice ride.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Yeah the body lift was only to get the clearance for the Belly Up. I will look in to the other stuff too.

tweenerlj

Adventurer
Here is another option for running the JK tires. Chrysler 300c, Challenger, Magnum (LX Platform) come with a 17x7" stock steel wheel with a 71.5mm center bore and 4.5" backspacing. Some sources say 5x4.5 others list them 5x115. That is 0.02" difference, but there are some folks running this setup on their XJ and TJ with no issues. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/17x7-mopar-steelies-255-75-jk-rubicon-bfgs-1169862/

IMG_3302.jpg

Ryan Matthes

Adventurer and Explorer
TexasTJ - great choice for build platform. I went from a TJ in 05/06 to a JKU in 07. Played around with a Disco 2 (when it was no longer my DD) and then onto an LR4. Loved all of them for different reasons, but last year went searching for the perfect (in my eyes) build platform and got an 06 LJ Rubi. Love it. Have the RE3.5" with 33" BFG KM2's - very street able and extremely capable off road. Had a VR8000 and found it to be under powered. Now have a 10000 and it is great. Still working on the build, but am at a good point.

I agree with most all of the comments above, but would particularly agree with Fargo - put some tires on it - adapters or whatever - and then see what you need and in which order you want to invest in those. I agree with the items that you mention - all good choices for sure, but are all of those necessary for the wheeling / overlanding you want to do?

Lastly - I would love to wheel anything you know of down in the Austin area. We are going to Fredericksburg on Memorial Day weekend, and am working on part of the trip going from Mason down James River Rd and then over to Marble Falls. Planning on Saturday for this, if you want to meet up?

IMG_5279.jpg

Vince1

Adventurer
Pardon my ignorance (I come from the JK world), but is that Nth degree stuff still made/supported? My son recently acquired a TJ and he said AEV wasn't making those lifts anymore.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
TexasTJ
Lastly - I would love to wheel anything you know of down in the Austin area. We are going to Fredericksburg on Memorial Day weekend, and am working on part of the trip going from Mason down James River Rd and then over to Marble Falls. Planning on Saturday for this, if you want to meet up?

That's a super nice Jeep Ryan! I would love yo join y'all but I hope to be flying to LA to Pick up the Jeep.

Ryan Matthes

Adventurer and Explorer
That's a super nice Jeep Ryan! I would love yo join y'all but I hope to be flying to LA to Pick up the Jeep.

Another time then perhaps. Let me know when you have yours ready for a maiden voyage and we will see about meeting up. Also, do you have a link to your M416 that is for sale? I am in the market...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles