Hostile Lands of SOAZ: Dragoons to Chiricahuas, April 25-27

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Ursidae69 said:
This is correct. Have you done any exploring in the southern part of the Chiris Brad? Some of the routes that spur off of 74 look cool on the map.

Seth: It be cool to finally meet up, I don't think this was a closed trip amigo.:beer:

There is so much of the Chiris that I have not seen, I don't want to miss an opportunity to run new trails. :drool:

I used to take my family camping by the Barfoot Park (meadow) but I haven't been there since the Barfoot fire several years ago. That spot is not large enough to support a group camp though. :(

I have been out the North Fork, South of the monument boundary to the Kasper Tunnel. That's a cool mining area but pretty rugged and only one way in unless you go through the tunnel to Hilltop like they used to in the old mining days. I have been in the tunnel a couple hundred yards but I don't know if it's open all the way through still??

On the far Southern Chiris, down by Rodeo, NM, there is Horseshoe canyon. That's a very remote and beautiful area that I have camped and hiked in. Lots of side rock canyons to explore. We also heard a mountain lion scream in the night. That raises a few hairs on the back of your neck. :Wow1:

HorseshoeLarge-1.jpg

HorseshoeMed-1.jpg

Horeshoedetail.jpg

If you want remote and wild, that would be my choice. But like I said, There are miles of the Chiris I haven't seen so I'm open to whatever the gang is up for. As long as I'm out...I'm happy.:1888fbbd:

Last edited:

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
Tucson T4R said:
As long as I'm out...I'm happy.:1888fbbd:
I hear that. :iagree: I needto find a week to do some backpacking in the Chiris and also the Peloncillos. I have done the Animas and Hatchets in NM, time to see more of the AZ sky islands.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
articulate said:
:rockon:
I can't turn anyone down in public, lest I look like a jerk. Lucky you Seth, you qualify as a pimp:

"usual suspects, cohorts, critics, pimps, campmates, trailmates, campfire drinkin' buddies, tall tale tellers, and other no-good scum of the earth ExPo folk otherwise known as my friends"

QUOTE]

You mean I just spent the afternoon today on Van Buren trying to find my first employee and I could have just chosen to be the tall tale teller... Son of a. Well, I have a great new side business out of it.

articulate

Expedition Leader
Scenic WonderRunner said:
If only I was a Pimpin' Kewl dude............!
You bring the James Taylor. That'll be pimpin' kewl.

for the record, I put this together then emailed the local folks I have emails for. Hardly an official invite. So, it's posted here for, you know, good vibes toward all ExPo-ites who like to get in their rig and drive a dirt road once in a while. Should they chose to insert the love like Seth knows how.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

articulate said:
You bring the James Taylor. That'll be pimpin' kewl.

for the record, I put this together then emailed the local folks I have emails for. Hardly an official invite. So, it's posted here for, you know, good vibes toward all ExPo-ites who like to get in their rig and drive a dirt road once in a while. Should they chose to insert the love like Seth knows how.

Love you too.............Mark! ......hehe

...........:ylsmoke:

RHINO

Expedition Leader
i am defintaley considered scum of the earth, along with worthless, rude and krass, i know many tall tales and make up alot of new ones everyday, do i sound like someone you'd like to have around or should i just keep camping solo to avoid alienating myself further from the human population?

7wt

Expedition Leader
Scenic WonderRunner said:
Oooooooooooooo!

If only I was a Pimpin' Kewl dude............!:rockon:

A first step towards that goal would be to spell cool properly! :bigbossHL:

MaddBaggins

Explorer
Mark, I'm taking friday off, so I'll roll with you on friday-sun.
Rhino, you should come along so we can drink together.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
kcowyo said:
I don't see my name on the list either. Am I not invited?
articulate said:
....my usual suspects, cohorts, critics, pimps, campmates, trailmates, campfire drinkin' buddies, tall tale tellers, and other no-good scum of the earth ExPo folk otherwise known as my friends - this is your thread.
He seems to have invited both of us.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I like many here are not sure if I fit into that list anywhere. I could be a drinkin buddy as Mrs. F'n did throw her beer on my tent. Would that count? If I fit the criteria I think I might be able to meet up with you guys on Saturday. I have never been to the Chiris and would love to go.

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
On a scale of 1-5, 5 being hardest, what would you rate the trail difficulty? I only have a little lift and 33s and have never been down that way. Any pics of the trail?

Thx,
Dave

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
MoGas said:
On a scale of 1-5, 5 being hardest, what would you rate the trail difficulty? I only have a little lift and 33s and have never been down that way. Any pics of the trail?

Thx,
Dave

Depending on where we end up, most of the primary roads down there are 1-2. You can find more challeging roads if you get off on some of the old mining roads but I expect the majority of our route will be fairly tame. Keep an eye on this thread to see what trails the final planning has us running.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94