Hostile Lands of SOAZ: Dragoons to Chiricahuas, April 25-27

articulate

Expedition Leader
***Edit for Friday evening plan***
Meet 5:00 pm April 25 at TTT "Tucson Truck Terminal" I-10 exit 268
Depart at 5:15 pm under The Pirate's Code (he who falls behind gets left behind) - if you fall behind go here: N 31°52.465 W 110°01.322

Here's a map as provided by Brad.

Communications:
CB channel 15
2M Freq 146.460
***end edit***

The official planning thread for my usual suspects, cohorts, critics, pimps, campmates, trailmates, campfire drinkin' buddies, tall tale tellers, and other no-good scum of the earth ExPo folk otherwise known as my friends - this is your thread. 12 vehicle limit as the camp locations are uncertain. List below.

We're going to the Chiricahuas. The land of Apache wars, white man scalpings, wild west shoot outs and hangings . . . it happens to be quite pretty down there, too.

Potential routes are attached; beware that in the Chiris many roads turn into trails. I intend to lace up the boots and go by foot on Sunday morning.

The drill:
Friday April 25 - Camp western slopes of Cochise Stronghold, Dragoons. Convene in Tucson Friday evening.
Saturday April 26 - Drive via MiddleMarch Canyon to Pearce, then onto the Chiris. Meet Chuck, drive a loop trail, locate camp.
Sunday April 27 - Hike, kick back, etc. Head home early afternoon.

Jeff, Erin, Brad, Alvin, Brian, Steve, Kuhnses, Greg, and Jan . . . how's everybody sit?

I think everyone drives a Toyota except for me. And Brian. Whacky.

*** Edit 3/19/2008
The List, more or less in the order that I'm aware of the interest (which isn't limited to the responses in this thread):
  • me and fam
  • Chuck (ursidxxcxcad69)
  • Jan (Canuckistanian)
  • Steve Curren
  • Alvin (MadBaggins)
  • Brad (Tucson4r)
  • Erin (erin)
  • Brian (goodtimes)
  • Greg (Via Tierra)
  • Tim (Soaz)
  • Kuhns fam (Flying___)
  • Seth (seth_js)
It's a huge group . . . if you must bail out, say the word so one of these other dudes can join in. Thanks

Last edited:

seth_js

Explorer
Well I'll be damned. I was supposed to do the Dragoons two weekends ago, but had to back out for work. And I have the Chiris on the schedule for the first weekend of May. This seems to be the perfect compromise.

I'm in as of now. There are a couple things that could happen between now and then that could interfere, but we'll see.

articulate

Expedition Leader
I almost forgot!

Brad didn't agree with my assessment of the French press in the latest Overland Journal. So, we’re going to have a little coffee competition to set things straight.

coffee_beans.jpg

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
I'm going to arrive on the eastern side of the Chiris on Friday after lunch. I'm going to camp at the Sunny Flat campground just west of Portal. I'm planning some evening hikes and an early Saturday morning hike in the south fork of Cave Creek Canyon. This is my 3rd attempt to find an Elegant Trogon, a tropical bird that ranges through Central American and Mexico and just barely gets into SE AZ. Someday I'll see one of these colorful birds and get some pictures if I am lucky! :Astrologist:

Saturday I'll cross over on 42 and meet you guys wherever you decide to be. There are a lot of roads in the Chiricahuas that I have not explored yet. The views from Barfoot Lookout might be worth a hike. I'm not sure whether the FS still operates this lookout.

This is going to be a sweet little weekender trip. :beer:

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
articulate said:
The official planning thread for my usual suspects, cohorts, critics, pimps, campmates, trailmates, campfire drinkin' buddies, tall tale tellers, and other no-good scum of the earth ExPo folk otherwise known as my friends - this is your thread.

We're going to the Chiricahuas. The land of Apache wars, white man scalpings, wild west shoot outs and hangings . . . it happens to be quite pretty down there, too.

Potential routes are attached; beware that in the Chiris many roads turn into trails. I intend to lace up the boots and go by foot on Sunday morning.

The drill:
Friday April 25 - Camp western slopes of Cochise Stronghold, Dragoons. Convene in Tucson Friday evening.
Saturday April 26 - Drive via MiddleMarch Canyon to Pearce, then onto the Chiris. Meet Chuck, drive a loop trail, locate camp.
Sunday April 27 - Hike, kick back, etc. Head home early afternoon.

Jeff, Erin, Brad, Alvin, Brian, Steve, Kuhnses, Greg, and Jan . . . how's everybody sit?

I think everyone drives a Toyota except for me. And Brian. Whacky.

Sounds like a great trip!! Nice planning too. You're on top of it! :camping: :Astrologist: :rappel: :bowdown:

Steve Curren

Explorer
I am really looking forward to this, I have not been to that area of the State yet and beside that I love history. I guess the main reason is the camping as well as the chance for a cold brew with new friends.:victory:

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
articulate said:
I almost forgot!

Brad didn't agree with my assessment of the French press in the latest Overland Journal. So, we’re going to have a little coffee competition to set things straight.

coffee_beans.jpg

Yeah baby! Crate & Barrel SS French Press coffee will rule. :lurk: And you can still smile after drinking it. :hehe:

I'm definitely in, looking forward to the trip.

Your potential routes show possible coming out of Turkey Creek and connecting to the upper roads. I camped there last year and the Turkey Creek road dead ends with no connection to upper roads. It's a nice canyon but you have back track out of it to visit other routes. You can see on the map that the wilderness boundary wraps around the end of Turkey Creek.

TurkeyCreek2.jpg

Last edited:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
articulate said:
....my usual suspects, cohorts, critics, pimps, campmates, trailmates, campfire drinkin' buddies, tall tale tellers, and other no-good scum of the earth ExPo folk otherwise known as my friends - this is your thread.

I don't see my name on the list either. Am I not invited?

:removeredX:

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳
Nomad Kanukistani

Hi to all of you and can hardly wait to get going. Still a few electrical issues to sort out this weekend on my 73 series, otherwise waiting for the last of all the tax receipts to come as I am the resident accountant for my family.

I am looking forward to meeting up with you all and making new friends and seeing some of your rigs. Always looking to learn new things and creature comforts.

Again, if any of you find yourself up in my neck of the woods (Calgary) bring some more warmth with you and we'll share an ale and a place to crash!

Adios Amigos...and again thanks for inviting me along!

Last edited:

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
Tucson T4R said:
Your potential routes show possible coming out of Turkey Creek and connecting to the upper roads. I camped there last year and the Turkey Creek road dead ends with no connection to upper roads.

This is correct. Have you done any exploring in the southern part of the Chiris Brad? Some of the routes that spur off of 74 look cool on the map.

Seth: It be cool to finally meet up, I don't think this was a closed trip amigo.:beer:

articulate

Expedition Leader
seth_js said:
Wait, did I just invite myself? Was this only for those mentioned?
:rockon:
I can't turn anyone down in public, lest I look like a jerk. Lucky you Seth, you qualify as a pimp:

"usual suspects, cohorts, critics, pimps, campmates, trailmates, campfire drinkin' buddies, tall tale tellers, and other no-good scum of the earth ExPo folk otherwise known as my friends"

meaning.jpg

kcowyo said:
I don't see my name on the list either. Am I not invited?

:removeredX:
Yer killin' me with your antics.

Brad mentioned the trails near Turkey creek, and I forgot to add that my purple route lines don't all exactly indicate roads. Some are hiking trails only. But there are a few roads that will make loops. I think we can play that part by ear, as we've got plenty of time to explore. But going up that road along Turkey Creek isn't going to go through (by vehicle, anyway).

Muy verdad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online