New to Fly Fishing

toxicity_27

Adventurer
So I've never actually gone fly fishing before, but about 10-15 years ago my parents gave me a fly fishing set up for my birthday. I had it set up, and used to practice casting, but it was tough with all the trees in our backyard. Fast forward to now, I visited my parents this weekend and decided to grab my fly fishing set up. I used to be really big into fishing, and want to get back into it. Now my fly fishing gear isn't an amazing $500 set or anything, it's a simple Scientific Anglers set up, which I hear isn't too great. Basically what I want to do is get this rod good to go for around $50-60 if that's possible. I'll have to look through my tackle, but I don't think I have any flies either, so I will need to get something that will work with that. Any advice on what to get? Also, everything that is on this rod is from when I first got it, so my guess is everything will need to be replaced as far as line, etc. goes. I've attached a few pictures of the gear I have to if that helps. If there's anything I missed let me know.

daveh

Adventurer
From the photos I don't see very much line, so new line might be a good start. I would recommend visiting a fly shop in your area. They would be best to tell you what line and flies you will need to fish the type of water in your area. I could give you some ideas for PA but that won't help if you are fishing in MT.

toxicity_27

Adventurer
I'm in Minnesota. I'll have to look around and see if there are any fly shops around here. I knew that I was going to need to get some line, but was wondering what I should get, as far as everything goes.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Does the white on the reel look like a braided line...It looks like backing to me with very little actual fly line...or is it just the color of the reel?
Simple out of the box setups like that usually use a 5-6 wt fly line (at least most I have seen). I just saw the rod says 6 wt so you would be safe with either wt fly line.

daveh

Adventurer
The type and weight of the line will depend on what you plan to fish for. Typically you have backing then line followed by your leader and then tippet. The fly ties to the tippet and all others tie to each other. It looks like you will need them all and flies. If your fishing for trout ask the store about Adams.

toxicity_27

Adventurer
Does the white on the reel look like a braided line...It looks like backing to me with very little actual fly line...or is it just the color of the reel?
Simple out of the box setups like that usually use a 5-6 wt fly line (at least most I have seen). I just saw the rod says 6 wt so you would be safe with either wt fly line.

It's backing. I'm going to be pulling everything off and cleaning it up.

The type and weight of the line will depend on what you plan to fish for. Typically you have backing then line followed by your leader and then tippet. The fly ties to the tippet and all others tie to each other. It looks like you will need them all and flies. If your fishing for trout ask the store about Adams.

I'm thinking it'll be used for panfish, and maybe trout if I can get up to the lakes that have trout here in Minnesota. I'll have a look over at Gander Mountain and see what they have to say.

Sorry I'm late to this. With that rod put a trout line on it. I prefer Rio trout LT. Note that line probably costs what your rod did.

A previous poster said go with 5 or 6 weight. 6 weight I agree with, but it would never under line a rod. In fact, I'd tell you to over line it. Those low cost rods tend to be "stiff". So go with a 7 weight line and it'll help with some of your newbie casting.

Remember, a fly rod is designed to cast fly line. Bigger the rod=bigger fly line, and bigger the fly. With the set up I described. You could they some size 2 or 4 streamers.

I'm not a match the hatch guy. I can do what 90% of those guys do with 5 different bugs. Presentation is everything. Go back to the back yard and start casting. Better deal with trees there, then on the water.

takesiteasy

Adventurer
I'm in Minnesota. I'll have to look around and see if there are any fly shops around here. I knew that I was going to need to get some line, but was wondering what I should get, as far as everything goes.

Head to Bob Mitchell's Fly Shop in Lake Elmo. I don't know where you are in MN but it is worth a drive. Friendly, good products, classes and good advice. Not affiliated but I like the place. http://bobmitchellsflyshop.com/

DeadMoney44

Was just going to recommend Bob Mitchells Fly Shop. There is quite a bit of trout fishing in Minnesota, depending on where you live. Around the cities, head SE to the Whitewater State Park area. In the north, head to the Arrowhead.

Beyond trout, bluegill/sunfish are a hoot on top water poppers. Large mouth bass can be had on a fly rod all over the state. Walleye, Northern and even Musky are catchable on a fly, but probably not with a six weight rod.

You will get WAAAAY more and better information at a Fly Shop than you will at Gander Mountain.

Flyfishjeep

Adventurer
My recommendation is that you first go take a fly casting/beginning fly fishing class and learn a few things like how to set up the rod/reel/line/butt section/leader for the type of fish and fishing you plan on doing. Most of these classes also let you use some of their rods to cast with. That rod may not cast well and might turn you away or disappoint you away from fly fishing. Not that you need to spend a ton of money on a rod, but if that one is as old as it seems, even the worst of todays rods may be way better. Fly, leader and tippit selection will vary based on the fish and conditions, so you really need to arm yourself with knowledge before you start trying to figure out what you need. Just my thoughts and what I always tell those that are new to fly fishing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste