Overland Expo West, 2014

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
The problem with a midwest show is not scenery, of which there is plenty, but simple population base. We need access to a certain number of people within a day's drive to make the show successful. Flagstaff gives people reasonable interstate access from L.A., Denver, Phoenix and Tucson, Albuquerque, Salt Lake City—a big circle of major cities, all of them known for outdoor pursuits.
Heh, if you were to draw a circle the same size as that around Arkansas I wager you would encompass a larger population than the west OE does. Whether they are "known for outdoor pursuits" is another thing.

jlandon

Get Dirty.
I actually did that yesterday. 10 hour driving radius (~650 miles) is as follows.

Ox west - 57 million
Ox east - 141 million
Ox proposed for central - 111 million

As far as outdoor pursuits... culture is present and growing like crazy.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Fighting with statistics is unfair.

Isn't it?

We would definitely consider a move into the midwest at some point; also the Pacific Northwest.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I certainly understand that holding an event like this is an enormous effort...it is just a bit frustrating that the exciting new venue is just as far away as the Flagstaff location. But you're never gonna make everyone happy.
The point about population proximity is a good one, though...I suspect the east OE is going to be swamped with day pass attendees because so many people are close enough to drop in for a day.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
I am looking forward to the OX East event. It is a tad longer drive from me but from the sound of it, we are already putting together a caravan of folks from down here in Florida. Should be a ton of fun.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
Fighting with statistics is unfair.

Isn't it?

We would definitely consider a move into the midwest at some point; also the Pacific Northwest.

You guys have a huge following in the Pacific North West. If you found a way to centralize it I would imagine you could get quite the draw.

brushogger

Explorer
2014 was our first Expo and we loved it. The best part was getting to meet and put faces with the many friends here on the portal. The camping was great. We just set up the Pett toilet and it's tent to avoid the morning rush to the portables. We made even more new friends and will definitely return. We hope to make it to the East coast in the fall and hook up with the people from SEES. Hopefully the ARSES will make it too!
Come guys, it's camping. It was pointed out that the site is a dry camp and to be prepared for that. Was it crowded? Yes, but it was crowded with like minded people. Share a beer with your neighbor and get to know them. I learned as much from mine and their rigs as I did from the classes. Expo is about making connections. We did and that made for a great experience. We leave Friday for a trip through the Pacific NW and will be meeting up with some of those we met at Expo. They have also given us advice on some great places to see and camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WillRunner

Overlander
My Overland Expo West experience was an Epic Journey that started out in Houston, then to the Grand Canyon, and taking some scenic backroads to Flagstaff for the event. Below are some pictures...
For my full trip report click: http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27184&highlight=overland+expo

[/URL
[URL=http://s186.photobucket.com/user/bchillwill/media/2014%20Grand%20Canyon_Overland%20Expo/IMG_0837_zps4ae328ca.jpg.html]

URL=http://s186.photobucket.com/user/bchillwill/media/2014%20Grand%20Canyon_Overland%20Expo/IMG_0885_zps604ac971.jpg.html]
IMG_0885_zps604ac971.jpg
[/URL]

motrhed

Observer
Enjoyed the experience

My wife and I went to OE14 to explore our options for our next rough terrain capable camper. I would have preferred to drive down and camp on site but a week off just wasn't enough time so we flew to Vegas, rented a vehicle, and stayed in Flagstaff. We were there all three days and met some great people with some awesome products. I think that camping there would have made the event a bit more social for us but at least we got to see and touch the campers we were interested in and a few that were not initially on our radar. We have some thinking to do...
We were impressed by the diversity and quality of product, vendors, and demos. I would make one suggestion to Chrysler though... have trained and knowledgable people conduct the test drives in their product. It sucks when the company representatives have no idea about the product they are flogging (No, the winch is not controlled via the touch screen in the dash - ???).
I would like to thank the organizers for putting on a wonderful, well run event and perhaps next time we can drive down, camp, and get to know a few people.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
We were impressed by the diversity and quality of product, vendors, and demos. I would make one suggestion to Chrysler though... have trained and knowledgable people conduct the test drives in their product. It sucks when the company representatives have no idea about the product they are flogging (No, the winch is not controlled via the touch screen in the dash - ???).

Agreed. I was really excited by the Jeep and Dodge (Ram) stuff there, but was kind of put off by the indifferent attitudes of the people staffing their booth etc - they were NOT enthusiasts or knowledgeable about the product line or the history and seemed to be counting the minutes each day until they could clock out and leave.

That aside, we had a GREAT time at expo - AGAIN - and we'll be back in force next year! :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke