Motion X trail maps.

Livelarg

Observer
I have been looking here and online, but cant find what I am looking for.

I am planning a trip to Moab in July, then heading East to Crested Butte Co. I am wanting to do as much off-road travel as possible from moab to Crested Butte. I Have motion X, and am looking for off-road trail maps that i can download to the motion X.
Anyone know where I can find the maps?

I know there is debate over motion X, but thats what I have, and yes, I will have paper map back-ups :)

Thanks
Kent

robgendreau

Explorer
Have you looked in MotionX? You don't go and find maps elsewhere and download them to MotionX; you access maps from within MotionX. Out of the box it has lots of types, and if you want to have them offline just find what you're interested in the app, show it on the map, and download the tiles. Type "poison spider, moab, ut" for example. The MotionX terrain map is probably the most useful for your purposes. If you pay the upgrade fee you can add other map sources.

But remember that there are not "maps" in the sense of discrete maps like AAA's "Indian Country" or something. Instead it's more like searching for products on Amazon; the app figures out from your location, or your search query, which map tiles it needs to get from a server and displays them. And depending on your choices, layers, resolution, etc you get what you see. The 1:2500,000 tile would be different than the 1:17,500 tile, and different again from the tiles for roads, terrain and satellite.

As you can see, this may be an especially cumbersome problem for planning a trip. For that I'd suggest the other offerings that do allow the download of a "map," like PDF-Maps. With that you can download discrete maps, like the visitor map by the NPS for Arches, CO OHV Recreation map (free), USFS maps, or even the excellent Benchmark Utah recreation map. I like this much more for planning, although I still might use MotionX for more detailed nav. Right tool for right job, so to speak. And it's free, as are many of the maps.

Rob

Last edited:

Livelarg

Observer
Holy cow Rob, you are the new king of awesome! That is exactly what I needed to know. Thank you.
I will look at the other programs as well as motion x.
Working on the route planning now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles