GPS Receiver Holux

Commando Ricard

Hi to all,

I just bought a GPS receiver Holux brand model M215 +.

http://www.canadagps.com/Holux_M-215plus.html

Its advantage: it connects to GPS satellites but also Glonas, thus increasing significantly the number of sat in acquisition.

Received yesterday, I have not had time to install it in the Mercedes G, but I put it on the PC in my office which is in the basement of the house. And then, surprise, he found the satellites.

I also have a Garmin and 2 Magellan, and none of them work in my basement. The Holux: YES.

I think so, if it works in these conditions, it will have no trouble even in dense forest.

Well, it only remains to test in real conditions.

Last edited:
Is it an advantage?

As long as the number of parallel processed data chanels is not increased it is not an advantage. It is an additional load for the processor therefor increased energy consumption.
In a vehicle application this does not matter- in a handheld it does.

Sensivity is still antenna related not channel related.
So- the better the antenna the better the reception. Your new unit might have a better anntenna than the old ones...

I can compare with a Dagger and a Plogger- most units look very bad when it comes to Glonass. It is a matter of antenna - not receiver unit.

robgendreau

Explorer
True what Weasel said. One of my cameras actually has GLONASS as well; but it stinks at reception because of the aforementioned antenna issue. If that sat just happens to be a window where the unit can see it, cool. But if not the type of sat won't matter. But it does give you some more chances of hitting one.

Commando Ricard

Hi alls,

First, yes for the consumption, but it is installed in my 4WD, plugged in usb to my laptop. So the consumption is not a problem for me.

If it work in my house, i think that forest is not a problem. As I said, my Garmin and my 2 Magellan don't work in my house.

And I have a friend that work in the forestry, and he said me :

The systems that are installed in forest machines at my job, now have GPS Glonas. I can confirm you that it is more efficient under the forest canopy. Especially as installed in a cabin with interference engines and a big boom in metal.

So, this week-end, I'm going in the Canadian forest with my Mercedes G and the new GPS Receiver. I'll see if it's efficient or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles