230V 50Hz to 120V 60Hz

MIRIS

If you export an American RV to Europe, how do you deal with the different voltage and frequecy when you plug your RV in Europe?

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Three options:

-- For tourist trip, carry a step down transformer of the appropriate size. Heavy, but not that expensive.

-- Our option, build a camper that never plugs in, thus you never need shore power.

-- If exporting the camper to Europe permanently, replace the appliances with 220v models.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
-- For tourist trip, carry a step down transformer of the appropriate size. Heavy, but not that expensive.
How do you deal with the change in frequency and core saturation?

Some appliances probably don't care, heating elements will just run a little cooler for example, and SMPS usually can adjust themselves. But some things designed for 60Hz might not like being run at 50Hz. A 60Hz motor might not start or run at 50Hz. Anything that uses the power to generate a periodic will be off, for example a clock or timer that assumes a 60Hz signal will be off 17%.

Variable frequency transformers exist, but this is not something you're going to find at a consumer electronics store. They are used in the grid to tie very system together. At the consumer level you're probably going to convert from AC to DC and synthesize the new AC. This is the basis for VFDs used all over in industry, for example.

Last edited:

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Most modern equipment supports 110-240V 50-60hz with no issues

I use one of these in the garage, even powered my welder for my 110v garage tools

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-3KVA-SITE-TRANSFORMER-110V-TWIN-OUTLET-16-AMP-BRAND-NEW-/360917342906

In the house for specific items like fridge etc we use smaller household ones.

the frequency to me has never been an issue in 20+ years international commuting, as most clocks watches use quartz timers

We have 6 transformers dotted arround our UK house powering US equipment

If you have and want Air conditioning to work too.....thats gona mean a big transformer !

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
In CamperMog, which was a Netherlands truck, we got by with changing the shorepower inlet plug, changing the battery charger to 110V, and using REI-sourced adapter plugs for all of the outlets.

The problem you face is that for any given wattage, 230 volt wiring only carries half the current, so the wiring will be lighter gauge than would be ideal for 110V. But most North American DC camper loads are pretty small, and all the circuits were protected with breakers, so we did OK. But we also added a Prosine inverter, wired straight to the battery and with dedicated outlets with proper gauge wire for AC loads.

nick disjunkt

Adventurer
I'm having the opposite issue at the moment, with my UK truck in America and Mexico, but the solution would be equally applicable the other way around. I have a universal Input Victron battery charger which will take anything from 100v to around 300v and charge the batteries with it. I have split the mains voltage system in my truck into two separate systems, one is for the battery charger, and one is for eveything else and so I can select the source supply for each independently. For most situations I run the sockets and anything else I need off the inverter, giving them a stable 240v, whilst the battery charger runs of 120v and supplies the batteries with whatever is being pulled by the inverter.

sabconsulting

If exporting permanently as Diplostrat says you can change appliances. Many things will be 12v anyway and some things will be 110v-240v 50/60hz (power supplies for chargers, laptop computers, my compressor fridge) so there may be fewer things that need to change than you think.

However, the converter built into a camper would likely need replacing. Plus check any circuit breakers are rated for 240v.

On the plus side the wiring for a given wattage appliance will be thicker in a US 110v vehicle because the current drawn for that wattage will be approximately double, so you shouldn't need to worry about burning out wiring.

Alternatively, power tools used on constructions sites in the UK are 110v for safety I believe so it is easy to get the transformers for 240v to 110v. I personally doubt the slight frequency change would make much difference.

Steve.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
I have spend most of the last forty years living in the 240v/50Hz world with 110v/60Hz appliances. As noted, very few are frequency dependent these days. (The days of changing the pulley on your tape recorder or having your typewriter run hot are long gone.)

Most (but not all) modern US RV inverter chargers will take 50-60Hz without difficulty, so you merely need to step the 220v down to 110v. These folks have done more than 50 countries in their Tiger, using a transformer.

But here is the rub - many European and other countries simply don't make enough amperage available at campsites. Which is why Ndeke Luka was designed not to plug in, ever. Costs more, but it is possible. http://diplostrat.org/about/

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
Hiya

There are quite a few importers of RVs for resale in the UK who convert the electrics you could ask to rewire your camper perhaps? No experience but there are plenty.

Some friends recently fitted something like this http://www.xantrex.com/power-products/battery-chargers/truecharge-2-2.aspx. Ships Chandlers will have multi voltage chargers.

I suppose it depends how long you will be in Europe for? Short term just add a new external hook up and 240v battery charger? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles