Baking in a cast iron skillet

photo_i

Explorer
I thought about revising that line after I posted it. Then I figured someone would get a laugh out of it. Yeah, biscuits don't help keep down the weight... but they sure are yummy! :)

:)

Yes, they sure are. Especially out there in the woods.

FJR Colorado

Explorer
Beautiful!!! I'd eat that. I'd eat a LOT of that.
up2++.gif

Joanne

Oh, it's da' bomb. You can really get creative too.

I could also see making up the entire thing at home and keeping it in the cooler until it's time to do the DO treatment at your campsite.

Blows away anything you'll get in Chicago... (sorry devotees of windy city pizza)

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Thank you for posting that pizza!! I just ate lunch and I'm hungry again! Cant wait to try this on my next trip. Thanks!

FJR Colorado

Explorer
Another thing I sometimes bake in the CI skillet are brownies...

I like to use a dark chocolate mix and then cover the top with sliced almonds. It gets crunchy and nutty with chewy dark chocolate underneath. Quite good...

Beamer pilot

Explorer

I like to use a dark chocolate mix and then cover the top with sliced almonds. It gets crunchy and nutty with chewy dark chocolate underneath. Quite good...

In case you missed it, price of chocolate will skyrocket in the next few weeks. Soon to be a rich person's luxury.

Once the buns are placed in the Dutch oven I insert a large piece of chocolate into the batter. It melts and ends up imbedded, great right off the fire, never had a single one left over !:chef:

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.

I like doing dark chocolate brownies with cayenne in them. Never done it in cast iron but it would still be awesome.

Joanne

Adventurer
Another great option is a French dish called clafoutis. It's based on a batter similar to a crepe, but is baked with cherries. If you are not a fan of cherries, substitute your favorite fruit. Fresh peaches comes to mind... :chef:

And yes, it can be made in a 12" skillet.

avqv08.jpg

Clafoutis
1 tablespoon butter
4 eggs
1 cup sugar, divided
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 tablespoon brandy
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1 pound stoned/pitted cherries (or a can of cherries, drained)
Powdered sugar (confectioner's sugar), for dusting

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Butter an ovenproof dish, deep dish pie plate, or cast-iron pan (at least 1 1/2-inches deep).

Place eggs, 3/4 cup sugar, vanilla extract, almond extract, brandy, flour, and milk in a bowl and mix till smooth.

In a mixing bowl, toss the cherries with the remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Place three-quarters of the cherries and their juices in the bottom of the baking dish. Pour the batter over the fruit; arrange the remaining cherries on top.

Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until the top is brown and a knife inserted into the middle of the dish comes out clean. Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes before serving (cake will sink slightly). Sprinkle with powdered sugar over the top with a sieve. Serve the Cherry Clafouti warm.

Yield: about 6 to 8 servings

Joanne

Joanne

Adventurer
^ looks awesome

I make a mean peach-raspberry cobbler. I should try baking it in the skillet.

Wait right there! You can't go around telling us what a great peach-rasberry cobbler you make without including the recipe! That's just not fair... I love raspberries so the idea of peach-raspberry sounds just wonderful.

Joanne

FJR Colorado

Explorer
Wait right there! You can't go around telling us what a great peach-rasberry cobbler you make without including the recipe! That's just not fair... I love raspberries so the idea of peach-raspberry sounds just wonderful.

Joanne

Oh it's outrageous and ridiculously simple...

Peach-Raspberry Cobbler
2 cans of peaches (or better yet sliced fresh Colorado Western Slope peaches around August)
1 6 oz. package of raspberries

1 cup flour
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
cinnamon to taste
butter

Combine drained peaches with rinsed berries. Stir gently. Add a drizzle of real maple syrup if you like.

Combine sugars, flour and cinnamon. Add cold butter slices (cold whipped butter works well too) and work with your hands to form crumbs.

Fruit goes in the bottom of baking dish or DO that has been lightly sprayed. Crumb topping goes on top. Bake about an hour.

Serve with vanilla ice cream. OMG, is this good.

I'll try to take some pics if I end up making one in a CI skillet this weekend.

PS- Like you, Joanne, I am a raspberry fanatic. Might be my single favorite food on the planet.

Last edited:

nnnnnate

Adventurer
That looks like a great recipe. I don't know that I would have ever thought about combining peaches and raspberries. I haven't made this for a while but was thinking about it earlier today, now after looking at this thread I'm going to make it for sure tomorrow. Triple Berry Crisp. I typically use a ton less butter and about double the berries. Mmmm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior