Baking in a cast iron skillet

java

Expedition Leader
I snagged a chicken pot pie recipe from a buddies wife this winter. Cream of mushroom, cream of chicken, sautéed chicken (cubed), veggies, and potatoes. Biscuits on top. Mmmmm....

Made this last night. It was awesome, thanks!
14943767720_e18951da8b_c.jpg

Beamer pilot

Explorer
We just spent last week camping in the southern Alberta Rockies, cooked everything in a 10 " DO. Never thought of taking pictures until the thread came up on my subscribed list this morning. Duh...:(

Honu

lost on the mainland
been doing a chicken dumpling fake thing a long time to :) my mom used to make it when I was younger to :)
don't throw a lot of veggies in though :)

this for camping one pan and this was done on partner steel stove with the dutch oven dome thing :)

2014-08-29_%2819-26-09%29.jpg

super simple

chicken as much as you like ;)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 pack chicken gravy (use the 1 cup water it calls for also)
1 pack pop up biscuits

in the dutch oven put in a touch of oil fry up our chicken cut into small pieces salt pepper to taste
once browned a bit throw in the can of soup and gravy with water bring back to boil so it thickens up then put pop dough on top and cook like you would for the biscuits

now I usually use buttermilk and also usually break into a bunch of pieces ? this time kids wanted big pieces

its kinda like a cheap quick chicken dumplings
this was down with our camp chef dutch oven lid thing on propane no coals

note I do sometimes brown the biscuits on one side really quick cause my wife hates it when they are not brown on the side against the sauce and chicken ? I like it that way stays a touch gooey :) to do that throw them in first quickly browning then take out
when you break them up into pieces I never brown the bottom parts only when they are large size like this[/QUOTE]

FJR Colorado

Explorer
^ that looks really good. I look forward to trying this. Thanks for posting. The tip about browning the first side of the biscuits is a good one.

I made another Peach Raspberry Cobbler the other day. But this time I used Colorado western slope peaches which are now in-season. Man, was it good.

SmokeEater2

My buddy bakes cornbread in a CI skillet with lid every trip. He puts down a few flat rocks to set the skillet on then shovels some coals out of the fire, Both below and on top of the lid. Fresh coals get added every so often until he decides it's done.

I've never seen him screw it up yet.

FJR Colorado

Explorer
Made another deep dish pizza tonight. This one had lots of mozzarella, some provolone, lots of pepperoni, diced Roma tomatoes, diced white onion, roasted red peppers...

5larsm.jpg

Not the prettiest thing but it sure tasted great...

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
Is that a Cabelas pan you made the deep dish in? I've got one of those and I love it, its so thick and heavy and it heats so nicely.

FJR Colorado

Explorer
Is that a Cabelas pan you made the deep dish in? I've got one of those and I love it, its so thick and heavy and it heats so nicely.

That one was purchased at Bed, Bath & Beyond (those coupons they send work great) and branded as an Emeril Lagaasse model. Quite possible it is the same as a Cabela's unit. It is indeed quite strong and rugged.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
That one was purchased at Bed, Bath & Beyond (those coupons they send work great) and branded as an Emeril Lagaasse model. Quite possible it is the same as a Cabela's unit. It is indeed quite strong and rugged.

The little thingy on the left side and the ridges on the handle on the right are just like my Cabelas pan. I just looked at the Cabelas website and they seem to have a lot of stuff branded as "Emerilware" so they may very well be one and the same nowadays.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz