Making a change: Nissan Titan to 5.9L Dodge 2500

Mack4

Adventurer
The Titan has seen it's last adventure! It will now be joining the work force to live out its days as a fleet vehicle.

Now, I've got my eye on a '04-'07 Dodge 2500, short bed, quad cab. Mainly due to its smaller dimensions (for a diesel) and engine longevity.

Before I pull the trigger I want to budget in some mods that will make the platform more capable for off highway adventures.

Here is the categories I would like to improve and I would appreciate any input you might have.

Suspension: Ride Quality and Articulation

I am looking pretty hard at the Kore Recon or HP kits, but those Carli kits look pretty slick.

Quick disconnects on the sway bars.

Some kind of steering dampener to offset larger tires and rough terrain.

Traction: Locker and Tires

Having a rear locker has been a trip saver on the Titan, I understand for the 11.5 AAM in the dodge my only option is an ARB if I want a selectable locker.

I am on the hunt for tall skinny 35" tires for 17" rims, looks like Nitto or Toyo ATs are my best bet.

Fuel Filtration and Range:

I have read these common rail diesels are picky about foreign matter in their fuel. The most common mod I see online is a 2 micron fuel filter. Any help here would be appreciated.

I found a 53 gallon fuel tank, which should give me close to a 800 mile range on the highway. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Diesel Ignorance:

This will be my first Diesel and my First SAS truck. I'd like to put upwards of 400,000 miles on this rig and and tips, tricks or warnings would be much appreciated!

-Mack

jdinevens

Adventurer
I found a 53 gallon fuel tank, which should give me close to a 800 mile range on the highway. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Diesel Ignorance:

This will be my first Diesel and my First SAS truck. I'd like to put upwards of 400,000 miles on this rig and and tips, tricks or warnings would be much appreciated!

-Mack

Are you looking at a titan fuel tank? I've got one in the ford, they are nice as I have to fill up once a month. only downside as far as i can see it is they stick a bunch lower than the stock tank, I guess they have to put the fuel somewhere =) So far so good though....

GJStringert

Observer
Same here, changed from a Titan to a Cummins!

I used to rock a Titan as well, one of the main reasons I changed into a diesel (12 valve 2nd gen) was to rid myself of all the electrical woes of the Titan ( I had every problem imaginable, from fried IPDMs to burnt out locker solenoids, and let's not forget blowing the toothpick rearend out of it...). I will, however, argue any day that a Titan is one of the most "handsome" trucks out there. A properly done-up Titan is a darn nice truck!

Being that I am a 2nd gen guy, I can only chime in a little. What I DO KNOW is if you want simplicity and reliability, don't get too carried away with engine mods (it sounds like you weren't planning on it anyway!). I've got a buddy who has a common-rail like you're looking at who likes to go nuts with the chips and programmers, and a massive turbo... Let's just say he's flirting with disaster. His EGT's are regularly deep into the quadruple digits... Then again, 1000 ft-lbs sure is a wild ride! I'd say just be mindful of your fluid and filter changes and you'll be just fine. (The '04-'07 is still pre-emissions hardware right? Like no EGR and all that?)

One more note on the IFS-to-solid change, your steering will be a good bit looser feeling (not unsafe, but certainly not tight), but I think you (like I have) will love the way a solid front flexes and droops compared to independent! And for a 3rd gen, from what I've heard from my common-rail buddies (those who can afford it, it's a bit pricey!), Carli stuff is second to NOBODY!

Have fun! (good luck with purchase?) We'll look forward to a build thread!

Graham

COBlue

I have a truck similar to what you are looking for- 2006. Almost stock so I can only give a little input.
'06/07 have better headlights but worse mileage. I liked the looks of the early style but have large animals in da hood.
You will probably want to upgrade the steering box as well- '08+ OEM IIRC or aftermarket- the Dodge CTD forums have all the info.
You may need a front spacer or small lift for 35s.
Stock fuel tank is plastic so look for some skid plates…..

ZJARCHER

Adventurer
Sounds like you've got the right idea! But dont go KORE. Go with Carli. By far the better product and the best customer service in the business. KORE s ride quality improvement is minimal, to say the least.
As far as tires go, Toyo makes the best tire for our trucks... by far. MT or AT.

Mack4

Adventurer
I drove one yesterday and the steering had almost 4 inches of play. Is that normal for a 2500? Is there any way to improve that with a stabalizer?

I think it will end up being a 2004 model, the newer ones get close to 30k sub 80,000 miles.

Thanks for the input on Kore, Carli suspension is looking better and better!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Anthony24x

Observer
A stabilizer smooths things out, does nothing to tighten the steering.
A good way to check things out is to have an assistant work the steering wheel back and forth without moving the tires, then follow the steering system down to the tires until you find the play. You might find it right in the steering shaft ujoint, or the steering box or the pitman arm, etc, I've found its easy to eyeball the issue.

surlydiesel

Adventurer
I would budget a steering rebuild on whatever truck you end up buying, assuming it is Ram that is. I had a 99 2500 and when I got it, I could rock the wheel all over and it wouldn't track at all. I put in a rebuilt box, track bar, brace and links. It was tight when I sold it but I never liked the overall build quality of the truck. Same feeling I get with my 04 Jeep. Gets the job done though. I would look for an 03-04 and factor in updates in the price.

Good Luck,
Jorge

chet6.7

Explorer
I drove one yesterday and the steering had almost 4 inches of play. Is that normal for a 2500? Is there any way to improve that with a stabalizer?

I think it will end up being a 2004 model, the newer ones get close to 30k sub 80,000 miles.

Thanks for the input on Kore, Carli suspension is looking better and better!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

From my reading on the cumminsforum,Carli and Thuren seem to be the best out there.
Fuel filtration is important,there is a lot of info at the CF site.
I have my first diesel as well,luckily for me, Dodge put some better filtration on the 14MY.
Looking forward to pictures of your build.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier