Cold air intake and smog?

Multidookey

Hey guys I just bought a cheap cold air intake online off of eBay. It just sounds nice and I saw a small improvement in mpg. But I went to get is smogged and found that it didn't pass the visual test. If I replaced the filter with a K&n filter would it be legal or do I need the entire intake system to be legal? Just wondering for next time I do smog? Cause for now I'm just going to put the stock back on to pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
You in California? If so, you'll need either the original intake or an aftermarket one with a CARB EO number. The air filter is the only part they WON'T fail you on.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

highdesertranger

Adventurer
well you left alot out of this. what state/area are you talking about? you should have just asked the inspector. or are you in the peoples republic of California where they are not allowed to give you any advice. I don't believe putting a k&n on it will fly. highdesertranger

Multidookey

Sorry I have a jeep grand 4.0 2000 in Southern California. And so if I had just the filter would that give me a carb eo number or would I have to have an entire intake to have a carb eo number?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
They will fail you on any non-OEM intake (or just about any other engine component that touches air or fuel) that doesn't have a CARB EO number on it.

In this case, sounds like you need to put the original intake back on.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Does anybody know why you'd need the CARB EO number? Just out of curiosity, since I'm in OK, but it sounds to me like the setup he bought on Ebay should have improved his emissions, which I thought was the point of the smog laws they have out there.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
It may very well have improved, or at least not affected, his emissions, but the EO number is basically the "proof", it's the number assigned to a part after it has undergone the necessary testing that demonstrates emissions are not negatively impacted. In short, in California, you can only (legally) fit aftermarket emissions-related parts that have actually been tested by a state-approved lab. Once it passes testing, the California Air Resources Board assigns an Executive Order number which validates the part for sale and installation for on-highway use. (Off-highway, etc. is typically unrestricted)

The reason for this is that for a long time aftermarket suppliers were making parts that were substantially WORSE than stock, they basically peed the pool for everybody. The EO system was a way to close the loophole created when California mandated stricter emissions standards for cars. Too many people were buying new, clean, cars, then changing out any number of components in the name of performance and rendering the cars VERY unclean. In some cases, the combination of parts made the newer cars with aftermarket parts literally a thousand times more dirty for certain metrics than the older "pre-emissions" cars. Stuff likes oxides of nitrogen, CO, CO2, etc.

The range of tests varies with the parts. If you're doing something like a full turbo kit, it's a fairly involved test that lasts several days (because there are days of evaporative testing inside a sealed tent to make sure you aren't forcing fuel vapors out of the pressurized system, etc.). I believe the testing for a simple intake (or other "air plumbing only" type mods is simpler and only involves measured post-burn (tailpipe) testing.

<Soapbox>
As a lifelong Californian who is also a near-lifelong gearhead, let me tell you that overall, it's "worth it". We never had "snow days" when I was in school, but back in the late '70s and early '80s we had "Smog Days" - days where the kids had to stay indoors all day (no recess, lunch at our desks), because the local air quality was dangerously bad. Back in the '60s, my Mom attended USC in LA for 4 months before the first Santa Ana blew the smog out and she saw the mountains for the first time. She was so surprised she crashed her bike. The air is MUCH cleaner now, and the cars are faster than ever, despite complaints from auto makers and aftermarket manufacturers that new regulations would render the automobile untenable in California.
</Soapbox>

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Does anybody know why you'd need the CARB EO number? Just out of curiosity, since I'm in OK, but it sounds to me like the setup he bought on Ebay should have improved his emissions, which I thought was the point of the smog laws they have out there.

Nope, the smog rules in California have nothing to do with actual emissions output. When they first implemented them it was a tailpipe test that measured emissions. My 1969 Datsun 510 with sidedraft webbers passed with flying colors. Since then it has become a non-modification and money making scheme for the state government. In order to sell "approved" parts you have to go through a costly process. It's about generating income and who has a better lobbyist now.

zelatore

Explorer
As already stated, without an EO number you'll have to remove it to pass the visual regardless of how clean the truck actually runs. I ran into this myself on a different air filter on my '05 Ram. It made no difference to the emissions but I didn't have a sticker. The first time I smogged it somehow they didn't ask. This year I was failed. Er...??? I had bought it from Summit years ago and called them -they send me a sticker and I took it to re-smog. They still didn't want to pass because the sticker was for a 'summit brand' air filter and mine was branded 'green systems' or something. They had to call Summit and verify that over the years Summit had re-sold various brands (including 'green') under their name. Eventually I passed without having to re-install the stock stuff.

Further, while clean air is a great thing and I'm not 100% against testing despite the annoyance, I also agree that it's out of hand. Do a basic visual to make sure everything looks OK; do a sniffer to make sure it meets the numbers. If it blows clean, who cares what's bolted on or what motor is under the hood?

highdesertranger

Adventurer
I am glad some of you guy's spoke up. clean air is good but these smog laws are out of control and now we have the global warming laws starting to kick in. next, carbon tax on fuel. welcome to the peoples republic of California. highdsertranger

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke