Extended body 4x4 van handling off-road

birders

We are looking to buy a 4x4 van and are looking for opinions on off-road handling of extended vs regular body 4x4 vans. We drive a lot on rocky/dirt roads that require clearance and the occasional use of 4x4 in steep or muddy sections in Central America and are concerned that the extended body van will tail drag too much when driving off-road. Do the regular body vans handle better on 4x4 roads? Will an extended body van limit where we can go more so than a regular body van?

I searched the forums for questions about handling of extended body vans, but came up with nothing. Opinions and advice greatly appreciated!
Thank you

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I can't speak from personal experience but with plenty of lift and flex any terrain can be managed.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
To answer your questions:

Do the regular body vans handle better on 4x4 roads? Yes they do. Less length + less weight = better handling.

Will an extended body van limit where we can go more so than a regular body van? Yes. The additional length is limiting as is the rear overhang thus reduced departure angle. Keep in mind on Fords the wheelbase is the same so they're equally likely (or unlikely) to get high-centered (same breakover angles).

That being said, these shortcomings are both manageable and overcome in my opinion by the extra room afforded by the 20" increase in space.

I have not driven off road much in a van but I deliver newspapers in an EB in a very very hilly neighborhood and drive up and down steep driveways, across bridges and through gates and turn around in cul-de-sacs, driveways, and frankly, pull u-turns in intersections and do it all on <30" tires. I've drug *** in these driveways in everything from a Grand Marquis (stock, ~27" tires) to a Ford Ranger (stock ~30" tires) and the van is no worse than the truck and much better than the car. When I install my new hitch I'll bolt on some casters like you see under RV's (just a ~3" steel swivel caster u-bolted to the hitch) but remember I'm driving a stock E150 (lower than 250 and 350s) on what are likely the hilliest/most uneven streets east of SanFran.

For searching you should try "EB vs RB" I think I've seen some threads titled that way.

Last edited:

Heloflyboy

Adventurer
I had a standard 4x4 van and now I have an ext. E350( not 4x4 yet). The ext. is going to be harder to get around in tighter areas but I would not trade it for the space of the ext. Take a look at Ujoint offroad web page, Chris has some good pics on there to give you an idea.

bdog1

Adventurer
Rear overhang limited as already mentioned.... But, a positive trait I've discovered on my EB is weight is very evenly distributed front to rear. (Way better than a pick-up.) Pleasant surprise for 4x4 traction. Turning radius is the same on either model.

Sent by wing, prayer & ATT

EMrider

Explorer
I have only dragged the rear end of our EB while offroading twice. In both cases, there was another line or route option that got us through.

I have fully utilized the extra interior space for gear and other stuff dozens and dozens of times.

Unless hard four wheeling is going to be a big part of the van's intended use, the extra interior space is a net positive.

R

Toolman

Explorer
It all depends on your comfort level, and skill level of driving. I've seen guys conquer things in stock jeeps that other really built jeeps had problems with. I've taken my EB over things that I was sure to drag on and it cleared just fine. They do better than you can imagine. The UJOR kit is the only way to convert a 4x4 van.

it's stinky but its' my opinion

BajaSportsmobile

Baja Ironman
You are in San Diego. I have both a RB and EB 4X4 that you are welcome to come and try for your self.

I'm in Baja until the 22nd but will be available after that.

Ramsey
(619) 663-5493

We are looking to buy a 4x4 van and are looking for opinions on off-road handling of extended vs regular body 4x4 vans. We drive a lot on rocky/dirt roads that require clearance and the occasional use of 4x4 in steep or muddy sections in Central America and are concerned that the extended body van will tail drag too much when driving off-road. Do the regular body vans handle better on 4x4 roads? Will an extended body van limit where we can go more so than a regular body van?

I searched the forums for questions about handling of extended body vans, but came up with nothing. Opinions and advice greatly appreciated!
Thank you

BajaSportsmobile

Baja Ironman
EB space is worth the trade-off in rear over hang and departure angle - It won't be a problem and only occasionally requires extra creativity in line selection. We take our EB anywhere we want.

Robb, you have had both now - what is your preference?

I agree it doesn't matter much offroad.. so if you want/need more space, get the EB. And who doesn't want more space? I still haven't figured out what exactly I need to fill my van with, but I'm sure that extra space will be important for something!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior