Cheap Lunette Lock

brian90744

American Trekker
I found 2 weights at the swap meet for $2.00 and an large bolt that fits the hole in the weights for $1.00. Drilled a hole in the bolt for a lock. =Cheap lock. Your trailer will be there when you get back.
Just FYI

Attachments

• Lunette lock 3.jpg
    Lunette lock 3.jpg
    528.7 KB · Views: 135
  • lock1.jpg
    lock1.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

highdesertranger

Adventurer
so I don't want to be a smart *** but you think the type off person that has a pintle hitch would steal your trailer? I don't see it, sorry. highdesertranger

Bigunit

Adventurer
so I don't want to be a smart *** but you think the type off person that has a pintle hitch would steal your trailer? I don't see it, sorry. highdesertranger

Am I missing something here but some of these trailers have well over $5k worth of parts and work into them and it would take someone with a pintle hitch to drive off with it...and pintle hitches aren't that rare are they? If people would steal a 50 cent pack of gum, why would they not think of stealing something they could make a few thousand dollars off of?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapataint

screwball48

Explorer
I in no way recommend it but I have seen several folks over the years simply drop a lunette ring around a standard hitch ball and down the road they would go.

Septu

Explorer
so I don't want to be a smart *** but you think the type off person that has a pintle hitch would steal your trailer? I don't see it, sorry.

I've never had an issue with mine... however a pintle lock is also on my list of things to get. More just a matter of making it that tad bit harder.

armygreen

Adventurer
Very cheap and practical.
I bought one of these. Works well but much more expensive.
Just a deterrent for thieves!
4210.jpg

Phoenix

Adventurer
You can also drop part of one safety chain through the lunette and pad lock it.

Had some mechanical difficulties with my rig today and needed to be towed home. Was trying to think how I could "lock" up the trailer. Used a padlock and the safety chains to fill up as much of the lunette as possible. Still sitting here waiting for the call from service so I can go get my trailer!

ghutch

Observer
The bolt and weight plate lock is a great idea.....next garage sale I'll have this made as a lock.....thieves are everywhere, most don't work so they have unlimited time to look for a fast buck or something to steal!

StanBo

Sorry I meant being rolled away.

This post http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/72127-Trailer-ers-Place-to-store-secure-a-trailer-while-you-explore?p=1029091#post1029091 took care of my question.

I have f150 wheels on my m416 and I don't think that lock would work with the smaller holes.

So I came across this setup:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LS5U9M/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Looks like it might work with my wheels so I am going to give it a try.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne