Wifi backup cameras? Android/iOS anyone using them?

Cole

Expedition Leader
I've got a Sprinter that I'm building into a "family adventure van".

As you can imagine its hard to see directly behind you with no rear side windows and high up rear door windows.

So I've been considering the need for a backup camera to see behind me. I actually parallel park this thing more often than I would like in daily use.

First two simple solutions are 1. Change the stereo out to a single din flip up screen and a back up camera. Or 2. Add one of the mirror/external display back up cameras.

But.....

There are also "wifi" backup camera that can be viewed from an iOS or Android device. People use them when installing a tablet as a car stereo. (I've actually used my GoPro with wifi as a backup camera before to test the idea)

In the Sprinter I'd have to just stick my tablet or phone on a mount on he the dash.

Here is the cool part.....maybe. I could mount cameras on all 4 sides of the van and one inside.

Then at night I could see outside with night vision cameras from a phone/tablet while in bed, etc. Not so much for security but it would be fun to watch the wildlife activity, etc.

The inside camera would allow me to check on my dogs from a restaurant, etc (have to be close enough for the wifi to work) .

Anyone running these? Thoughts? Experience?

The Sprinter for reference.....cause the Internet sucks without pictures! :coffeedrink:

13366109665_6f8816d702_b_d.jpg

java

Expedition Leader
hmmm. Interested in your idea. Ill tag along. Do they need a wifi connection or is it a direct connection to the viewing device?

Cole

Expedition Leader
There is a little "wifi box" that plugs into the camera to create its own "hotspot".

So you have to connect to the hotspot and open and app to view it. (GoPro wifi works the same way)

A little cumbersome for a backup only application. But the other benefits might make it worth it.

java

Expedition Leader
There is a little "wifi box" that plugs into the camera to create its own "hotspot".

So you have to connect to the hotspot and open and app to view it. (GoPro wifi works the same way)

A little cumbersome for a backup only application. But the other benefits might make it worth it.

thats not too bad. I plan to have my tablet up on the dash for mapping anyway.

Cole

Expedition Leader
thats not too bad. I plan to have my tablet up on the dash for mapping anyway.

Yeah, kinda what I was thinking. I would be using my phone or tablet for music, maps, etc anyway. Seems like a better deal than upgrading to an old tech car stereo.(current one has a "line in" so that is enough.

Raul B

Explorer
I don't have any experience with them but I'm Def interested in more info and links

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles