First impressions of bfg at kos.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I tried them because I wanted something more ride friendly than the coopers. the benefits of the BFG outweigh the negatives. Positives, better ride, better fuel milage, better control, no pulling to the right like the cooper did, bf's are cheaper, and lighter. If I have a balance problem with one, the tire shop I deal with will take care of me no questions asked. When I know these are ready to be changed, im going down to the D load rated verisons. I will have even better ride, and milage then.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I have about 10k on mine now and they look brand new.
Kilometers are Canadian miles and not as far.
And a Jeep is ton or more lighter than a PW, has much less hp, much less torque, much more forgiving gearing.

The PW did much better both on road and off road with the Toyo AT-2 Xtremes in the 285/75-17 size.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
After having used both, I'd say I prefer the General Grabber AT2 to the BFG. Don't get me wrong, the BFG is a fine tire, but I like the way the AT2 handles mud and snow more. Wear seems to be similar, sidewalls are pretty tough, and they cost a hell of a lot less than the BFGs. I think the weight is similar too.

kojackJKU

Kilometers are Canadian miles and not as far.
And a Jeep is ton or more lighter than a PW, has much less hp, much less torque, much more forgiving gearing.

The PW did much better both on road and off road with the Toyo AT-2 Xtremes in the 285/75-17 size.

Im converting to miles bud! yes, I know the jeep is less everything than the PW. that's why the tires are even better on the JK than they would be on a heavy full size. I am running tera trac on my full size with great results too. but they look to car like in their tread.

kojackJKU

After having used both, I'd say I prefer the General Grabber AT2 to the BFG. Don't get me wrong, the BFG is a fine tire, but I like the way the AT2 handles mud and snow more. Wear seems to be similar, sidewalls are pretty tough, and they cost a hell of a lot less than the BFGs. I think the weight is similar too.
?

Can you get the AT2 in 285?

stioc

Expedition Leader
Agreed the BFG ATs are weak is the mud but so are most AT tires, some are marginally better. Wear wise I've only heard good things about them but then again the PW is a 3/4ton truck not a 3800lbs SUV. I'm also wondering if perhaps there was a bad run of them in the not so distant past with some folks complaining about their quality but I bet you can pick any tire and there will be some complaints. If not, I'd love to know the elusive 'perfect' AT tire that's tough when getting its sidewalls scrapped against sharp rocks, quiet on the road and good grip both on and offroad. Until I find one AT KOs do all that for me.

General Grabber ATs have been around for quite a while and were always considered cheaper knock offs of the BFG AT design (Maxtrax vs. Smittybilt lol). Lots of people initially reported having sidewall punctures similar to the Duratracs. However, lately I'm hearing good things about them as they're becoming more common. I think even the new PowerWagon is supposedly switching to the red-sidewalled general grabbers(?).

Keep in mind though the experiences are different based on the local terrain and climate. Out here where you're in the desert and rocks...the BFG ATs...well...rock! If you see a lot of snow and wet but not sharp rocks Duratracs will be better in my experience, just louder and softer.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
?

Can you get the AT2 in 285?

Yep, in load range D.

Agreed the BFG ATs are weak is the mud but so are most AT tires, some are marginally better. Wear wise I've only heard good things about them but then again the PW is a 3/4ton truck not a 3800lbs SUV. I'm also wondering if perhaps there was a bad run of them in the not so distant past with some folks complaining about their quality but I bet you can pick any tire and there will be some complaints. If not, I'd love to know the elusive 'perfect' AT tire that's tough when getting its sidewalls scrapped against sharp rocks, quiet on the road and good grip both on and offroad. Until I find one AT KOs do all that for me.

General Grabber ATs have been around for quite a while and were always considered cheaper knock offs of the BFG AT design (Maxtrax vs. Smittybilt lol). Lots of people initially reported having sidewall punctures similar to the Duratracs. However, lately I'm hearing good things about them as they're becoming more common. I think even the new PowerWagon is supposedly switching to the red-sidewalled general grabbers(?).

Keep in mind though the experiences are different based on the local terrain and climate. Out here where you're in the desert and rocks...the BFG ATs...well...rock! If you see a lot of snow and wet but not sharp rocks Duratracs will be better in my experience, just louder and softer.

This ^

General switched to using a heavier compound for their sidewall plies after a few years, so they are much tougher than they used to be. I've had mine over some trails that were pretty much made of jagged granite, the sidewalls didn't even blink.

kojackJKU

I will never run any goodyear tire anymore. just too many issues. The AT2 is interesting, But really, I do not use my BFGs in snow, I have a dedicated snow tire for winter because we have such bad roads, So, having a tire that can handle wet and dry trails and rocks are what I look for. I have not even seen mud in all my travels around newfoundland.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Yep, in load range D.

This ^

General switched to using a heavier compound for their sidewall plies after a few years, so they are much tougher than they used to be. I've had mine over some trails that were pretty much made of jagged granite, the sidewalls didn't even blink.
I didn't know that.
I had General Grabber AT2s for a while but ditched them after a couble of punctures ---- from twigs. Twigs. Not rocks, not logs, not sticks, twigs. Between the tread.
They didn't like GA mud (obviously) either. Not bad on the street though ---- and I got really really good gas mileage from them.

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
I will never run any goodyear tire anymore. just too many issues. The AT2 is interesting, But really, I do not use my BFGs in snow, I have a dedicated snow tire for winter because we have such bad roads, So, having a tire that can handle wet and dry trails and rocks are what I look for. I have not even seen mud in all my travels around newfoundland.

I just put TA Ko's on last July

they seem to be a good overall performer, but I honestly hate them in the snow

I feel the AT3's did better in the snow

my next set will be the KM2's

stioc

Expedition Leader
I just put TA Ko's on last July

they seem to be a good overall performer, but I honestly hate them in the snow

I feel the AT3's did better in the snow

my next set will be the KM2's

Are your KOs snowflake rated? Not all KOs are, just curious. AT3, as in the Cooper AT3s?

Seriously for a tough general purpose tire AT KOs are hard to beat. Another 'off-road rated' truck that comes with them standard is the FJ Cruiser Trails Edition. I'm not saying that's everything but shows that it's hardly an 'old/antiquated design' that most people write them off as. I did too, then paid the price and learned my lesson.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I didn't know that.
I had General Grabber AT2s for a while but ditched them after a couble of punctures ---- from twigs. Twigs. Not rocks, not logs, not sticks, twigs. Between the tread.
They didn't like GA mud (obviously) either. Not bad on the street though ---- and I got really really good gas mileage from them.

Watch the final episode of Expedition Overland's Alaska season. They put them through tire hell. Sharp rocks and branches everywhere. One developed a very small leak, and one had a sidewall puncture when they miscalculated when driving between a tree and a downed log. A little too far off to one side and a really large chunk of wood went through the tire. Beyond that, they had zero problems.

And from my experience, they handle the jagged and rocky trails out here with ease.

verdesardog

Explorer
I have 315-70-15 E AT KO's on my Dodge CTD, run them at 35psi all around with no load. They give a rougher ride than the Geolandar D's I had before and they seem to pick up and throw all small pebbles they can find! I live in the desert so no problems with snow but they do have the snowflake logo on them. The monsoon has just started so no experience in mud but not many tires do well in the deep mucky clay here....

DSC_04684.JPG

kayadog

Adventurer
I ran several sets of BFG AT KO's and General Grabber AT2's. Really similar tires and I liked both. The Grabbers were a lot cheaper. I now have Hankook ATM's and Cooper AT3 and both are much more refined tires on the road than the Generals and the BFG's and do just as well off road. You can't really go wrong with any of them for an all terrain in my opinion. The Cooper AT3's are probably the best of the bunch-- better than most highway tires on the road and better than most all terrains off the road despite their mild looks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke