First impressions of bfg at kos.

All-Terrain

No Road Required
what is so amusing about that. it is true, I bet there are more BFG at's sold as a true AT tire than all other combined.

Just because lots are sold doesn't mean they are the gold standard. The Ford Crown Vic has sold in the thousands, maybe millions, and it isn't the gold standard for anything except maybe overpriced piles of crap. Plenty of poor quality items are sold in large quantities. How many Korean death traps (aka Kia's) are on US roads now? Sometimes "good enough" is better than "best" when it's cheap enough, to some people...

PS. Lots of Jeep Wranglers out there too.....

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I've seen firsthand the new KO's in an E-rated 315-75-16. Rounder shoulder,20% stouter sidewalls and hopefully not a ton of weight to balance when the DOT version comes out. Feedback from Baja was very good. No structural failures.
If they issue an E-rated 315 or 35"-17 for the big trucks,they'll sell.

colodak

Adventurer
Only tires I run, have ha one bad set, and the was because one belt on one tire failed, BFG warranted them. I've consistently gotten 45K miles out of each set, no complaints on dirt, rock, snow, ice, highway, try to avoid mud.

stioc

Expedition Leader
It's a standard tire on the Ford Raptor and the outgoing Power Wagon, enough said.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Just because lots are sold doesn't mean they are the gold standard. The Ford Crown Vic has sold in the thousands, maybe millions, and it isn't the gold standard for anything except maybe overpriced piles of crap. Plenty of poor quality items are sold in large quantities. How many Korean death traps (aka Kia's) are on US roads now? Sometimes "good enough" is better than "best" when it's cheap enough, to some people...

PS. Lots of Jeep Wranglers out there too.....

Please tell us a better all around tire that has proven itself like the AT? and.......PS: there are lots of Jeep wranglers because they are the GOLD standard for off roading.:Wow1:

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
There IS a reason why they are the gold standard among AT tires. The people that have "bad" experiences with them are FAR outweighed by the people who love em!
I'm one of them. I got a set of 285-75-16's at Discount Tire that took 4-10 ozs of weight to balance. Took them on the freeway and massive vibes (not dw). Returned and Discount Road Forced them. Same vibes. Because they did "zero out" Discount basically said hit the road. Must be the truck. The senior tire tech took me to the side and said "this happens all the time" Wts flug off the suckers.
I replaced them with Toyo E-rated M-55's. Problem solved. This was on my '98.5. CTD.
I ran into that same tire tech who was now a salesguy at a major offroad shop here. They stopped carrying the tire.
I e-mailed BFG with my experience and they said to contact Discount with the issue. E-mailing Discount said to contact BFG.
I've been running Toyo's ever since with zero quality or wear issues.
Had the matter been handled more professionally,I'd have more faith in Discount or BFG.
Neither one of these companies helped me.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Discount tire does suck. And Toyo does rule the tire world in my opinion, however only an idiot would try to argue that the BFG AT is, or at least was until very recently the best bang for buck in the AT world. I love my M55s, but they wear faster, and cost close to double what the BFG does. The majority of BFG "troubles" occur on big heavy diesel trucks. That also happens to be where the M55s really shine.

There are plenty of options out there now, but I have owned and driven Landcruisers, Hiluxs, K5s Broncos etc all with various tires (mostly BFG AT or MT) since the early 80s. There wasn't much else available in my early years unless I wanted to mail order (actual put a stamp on a letter with a check in it type of mail) something exotic and bias ply from the likes of Desert Rat in AZ. I am not trying to amuse anyone, just stating fact. There may be some good alternatives to the BFG AT now, but for decades there really wasn't!

All-Terrain

No Road Required
only an idiot would try to argue that the BFG AT is, or at least was until very recently the best bang for buck in the AT world. I love my M55s, but they wear faster, and cost close to double what the BFG does.

You said exactly what I said... "bang for the buck" --- they are not the BEST AT tire... they are NOT the GOLD STANDARD... there are better, more capable tires, that cost more. They are "good enough" for the price, for many. But they are not the gold standard.

And, neither are Jeep Wrangler's.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Discount tire does suck. And Toyo does rule the tire world in my opinion, however only an idiot would try to argue that the BFG AT is, or at least was until very recently the best bang for buck in the AT world. I love my M55s, but they wear faster, and cost close to double what the BFG does. The majority of BFG "troubles" occur on big heavy diesel trucks. That also happens to be where the M55s really shine.

There are plenty of options out there now, but I have owned and driven Landcruisers, Hiluxs, K5s Broncos etc all with various tires (mostly BFG AT or MT) since the early 80s. There wasn't much else available in my early years unless I wanted to mail order (actual put a stamp on a letter with a check in it type of mail) something exotic and bias ply from the likes of Desert Rat in AZ. I am not trying to amuse anyone, just stating fact. There may be some good alternatives to the BFG AT now, but for decades there really wasn't!
I should add that if I ever downgrade to a lighter vehicle,I'd seriously consider BFG's again.
I have a frugal fellow Dodge owner friend with an '05 3500 CTD,utility bed w/Callen 1/2 Cabover. He gets a super deal on 315-70-17 BFG KO's. With the D rating and 50 psi his tires nearly always have structural failures in Baja. It's just not enough tire for that vehicle,but he won't change. If BFG does issue a E-rated 315 with a 3800# load capacity like the 16" prototype I saw,it'll be popular.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
It's a standard tire on the Ford Raptor and the outgoing Power Wagon, enough said.
They came stock on my 2011 Power Wagon, didn't work in the mud, and wore out at 14,000 miles.

I've had them on previous work trucks and wouldn't buy them. Not good in the sort of terrain we have around here.

tommudd

Explorer
I was in the tire business ( sales, managed tire shops, had my own place) back in the late 70s up into the 90s BFG ATs were pretty much the go to tire, I sold the crap out of them, ran them on my own junk. Then issues started with them, bad tires wouldn't balance, tread separations etc. We were suppose to " quietly" take care of the problems.
I stopped running them back then and will never run them again.
Shame but they are just not the tire to have any longer. I think a lot run them just cause Billy Bobs twin brother said his cousin always ran them and to be cool you had to

kojackJKU

You said exactly what I said... "bang for the buck" --- they are not the BEST AT tire... they are NOT the GOLD STANDARD... there are better, more capable tires, that cost more. They are "good enough" for the price, for many. But they are not the gold standard.

And, neither are Jeep Wrangler's.

again, your opinion

kojackJKU

They came stock on my 2011 Power Wagon, didn't work in the mud, and wore out at 14,000 miles.

I've had them on previous work trucks and wouldn't buy them. Not good in the sort of terrain we have around here.

I have about 10k on mine now and they look brand new.

GDSQDCR

Adventurer
I have almost 20K on the current set and they still have most of the little new tire twigs on them. They have been in snow, mid, rock, gravel, water and even pavement.

I like then and will continue to run them. No balance issues or road noise for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior