My Offroad Tear Drop Plan/Build.

Wavebreaker

Adventurer
I have this posted elsewhere but seems as this is the year for Tear Drop builds I would post it here.
That and the conversations on Timbren suspension systems which I use.
This is going to be long winded i'm sure sorry about that in advance.

The whole concept of constructing a tear drop came from my wife being unable to use my previous trailer (The pod ) as i called it. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/110701-Woody-Expo-Trailer
The Roof Top Tent on it was just to difficult for her to use.

The Pod was an awesome little trailer it weight was perfect for hauling behind my Jeep a 92 YJ.
So in designing the Tear Drop weight in the end is a big considering factor.

I came across Stomper XJ's build and liked the Cricket profile so I went with that style of exterior shape.

I start planning and designing on napkins and scrap paper last summer. I decided the only way to make sure my ideas would work was to build it scale first.

My basic list of what i wanted to be able to carry.

1 – As light as possible and still retain structural strength for Off-road.
2 – Same track width as Jeep or close to as possible and give decent bed size.
3 -* Support up to 35 inch tires.
4 -* Same height as Jeep roof line for less wind resistance
5 -* Independent air bag suspension
6 -* Carry 20 gals of Fresh water in under tank storage.
7 -* *Space for a 43 qt. Fridge Freezer unit in galley area.
8 -* Propane fired hot water system with 12 volt pump.
9 -* Flat space on trailer roof for 100 watt solar panel.
10 – Space for Pro-pex propane hot air furnace.
11 – Decent cooking space and counter space in galley.
12 -* Roof mounted cargo rack or exo skeleton for mounting a Fox wing awning.
13 – Split rear door system to allow height clearance for Fox wing.
14 – Dual 6 volt battery’s in series for 12v/110 power source with solar charge controller.
15 – on-board air compressor for raising and lowering trailer height.

This was my original list of what i wanted. Since then i have changed a few things.

1- I decided i had good success with timbren suspension on my POD so i canceled out the air bags and air compressor.
2 - 20 gal water tank won't fit with out jeopardizing clearance. so i went to a 16 gal custom.
3 - 43 qt fridge takes up way to much cabinet space so i went with a 35 qt instead. Less power consumption as well.
4 - i went with 2- 40 watt solar panels instead of having 1 large panel on the roof less likely to get damaged on close trials. With a MPPT controller i should get enough amps from the 2 panels to keep battery's up.
5 - Propane furnace canceled this one takes up to much space. i have a plan for something else.
6 - Fox wing awning its just to damn long it sticks out past the front of the trailer when closed it would cause all sorts of grief. Up here in BC our trails are very tight lots of trees to catch on extrusions. I am designing my own system for it.
7- dual 12 volt instead of dual 6's

Here are some pictures of the Half Scale model. It is pictured with a 35 inch scale wheel to give you an idea of its size.

So come September i started building. I only work on this thing evenings and weekends. not full time. I build boats for a living it takes up a big part of my time when i have a contract.

Construction materials for walls.

1/2 inch Euro Ply very similar to Baltic birch except it comes in 4 x8 and 5x12 foot sheets. for exterior side walls and bulk heads shelves and cabinet carcass.
1/8 inch baltic girch for interior wall skins
1/4 inch baltic birch for roof.
1/2 x 1 inch edge grain fir for wall stringers.

Finished wall exterior thickness is 1 1/8 thick.

Wall construction ..
Profiles are cut and 1/2 x 1 inch edge grain fir strips are added around perimeter and spaced every 12 inches thru out.

I then removed a 1/4 inch of material between strips to lighten and allow more depth for insulation.
As you can see in this next photo i indexed the top edge for roof framing.

Next up was insulation and Pre-wiring of exterior walls ..

Walls routed and ready for finish coating.
First coat

Forth coat

Finished side wall the wall size is basically 4 foot by 10 foot (to points) and probably weighs in at 50/60 lbs by laminating the walls on a dead flat surface they are perfectly straight and warp free.

More to follow
Cheers.

Wavebreaker

Adventurer
Thanks Guys.

Continuing...

Test fitting the walls

My Buddy Greg was over and helped install the first wall and main rear bulkhead. As can be seen in previous pictures everything is rabbeted together for alignment and strength.

Second wall

Headboard

Roof framing again indexed into walls

Forward roof framing. As i am not using a wood headliner But a fabric i needed support so i made radius frame for nose area.

After sheeting roof i glassed the nose and roof sections. 1.5 oz roving with vinyl ester resin. With a double layup on corners.

Gelcoated the center.

Moved onto Galley layout . The rear opening will be a 3 door style instead of the conventional single lift up hatch.

Slide out for Fridge/freezer 35 qt.

After Basic galley layout moved on to enclosing wheel wells to stay the same track width as my T.V. i needed to move the wheels in a bit either side. Also added my water pump box into bottom of the galley floor.

I glassed the wells and under the complete bottom of the body and gelcoated it gray.

With basic Body done i could now work on water tank placement. Only problem is getting the right sized water tank to fit where i needed it to go. Being in BC we lack custom tank manufactures. So i made my own. Bought a standard sized tank and cut it down to what i needed to fit. Broke out the plastic welder and welded it up.

Mounted in to frame.

Wavebreaker

Adventurer
Ok learned you cant post more than 25 pictures per reply. :ylsmoke:

After mounting Body to frame it was a nice day so i took the trailer out to cleanup work area. Some shots behind my T.V. trailer will sit on 33 inch tires in shots it is on 29 inch.

Went back to galley for a bit. made up door and drawer frames and drawer boxes. installed same.

As i said previous this design has 3 rear doors. Main lift hatch from counter up and two lower split doors. One lower door will house a sink and other the stove.
As i could not find a sink that i liked and have it fit where i needed it i made my own.

Sink Plug.

Sprayed and ready to take a mould.

Mould done ready to make a sink.

Sink made from mould.

While making sink i was also doing my nerf bars. Keeping with my idea of building light i decided to make my nerf bars and other metal addons from aluminum instead of steel. These are bolted to the frame so in the event of damage they are easily replaced.

Pile of cut parts

Fitting to frame.

Welded and clamped for bolting.

Once nerfs were done i needed to do my fenders. As most of you know finding fenders the right size to cover off-road tires is a challenge. So again a i made my own.

Fender plug.

Making the mould.

Pair of fenders. fenders are made from 3 layers of 1.5 oz mat, 1 layer 18 oz roving and 1 layer of carbon fiber for strength. finished fender weights around 5 lbs.

Wavebreaker

Adventurer
Started working on my main cabin doors fitting windows and locks.

and skinned.

Building rear lower doors and main hatch. At this stage all the cabinet doors and counter speakers and plugs are in as well.

Skinning main hatch

Hatches built.

More later.

Cheers.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
A lot of talent on display here. Impressive.

Be careful with the hitch on the rear bumper, could be a real shin knocker. How high will the counter top be. That is where I ran into most of my design problems. Going with the same fridge helped lower the counter some, but would like it a little lower.

Great work, those fenders could become a product sir.

Looks good.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Are you putting skid plates on the water tank. I strongly suggest that you do. I drug mine around for three years never needing them. But once you do, it is a whole lot more work to do it from under the trailer. A real pain in the ***** to say the least.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94