LR3 Ownership Update - Eight Weeks

Jwestpro

Explorer
anyone on this forum, if truly high centered, would have cleared out the snow, then gone in reverse down the hill allowing gravity to help. his rage was so consuming that he couldn't even think.

brdl04

For what it's worth, the new JK engine trans combo is a lemon law inducing nightmare on all their platforms. Brilliant engineering, half baked typical Chrysler execution.

I would like to know the source for this information. After driving over 100 2012-2014 JK's this information in my humblest opinion is false.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Don't think the Jeep was high centered. Poor tactics, "All-Season" tires and too much throttle with a high HP engine led to his problems. Have seen lifted 4WD pickups stuck in Walmart parking lots, owner scratching head as to why 8" of snow has stopped them. Then I look at the tires and laugh.

Angry_Man

Adventurer
I would like to know the source for this information. After driving over 100 2012-2014 JK's this information in my humblest opinion is false.

My source is one of the legal counsel retained to defend them in lemon laws. Or you could just google it and see the laundry list of electrical transmission control problems, transmission blowouts at speed, and other assorted potentially fatal errors they've been having across their various platforms. Or you could read Autoblog, conveniently the latest article surfaced just two days ago and was already posted in this thread.

Your anecdote about driving over 100 JKs in three model years isn't going to help anyone. Chrysler getting their suppliers in line and their assembly lines focused on proper quality control will.

da10A

Adventurer
^^^^^ no ********** way, that very last sentence coming from a Land Rover owner is the funniest thing I 've heard in a while.....

Last edited:

Jwestpro

Explorer
And here's a video of my other toy doing the same rock crawl, at a much higher speed. http://youtu.be/xFJi4APPFKU

That was kind of crazy bouncy. I don't think the LR3 would do so well with our small volume tires. Yes, the lr3 could be fun with 37's! ;)

You mentioned earlier " 6) Surprise! Drivers side front sway bar link is missing from vehicle. Install a new one." Was this not apparent in the handling right from the start of driving it?

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
That was kind of crazy bouncy. I don't think the LR3 would do so well with our small volume tires. Yes, the lr3 could be fun with 37's! ;)

You mentioned earlier " 6) Surprise! Drivers side front sway bar link is missing from vehicle. Install a new one." Was this not apparent in the handling right from the start of driving it?

Honestly that's the fastest I've ever seen someone go through a "rock garden" if you could even call it that. For someone with light years of "experience" off-roading it really feels like he has no idea what he's doing. Surprised he didn't damage the axles going that fast.

sailor

Observer
Trail rated? They slap that sticker on the Liberty don't they? Marketing. After 3 Jeeps I can honestly say that I will never go there again- just cheap stuff that is engineered to last out the warranty (or not).

And as for your modern Land Rovers? Very nice but I don't have time (or money) for the 'idiosyncrasies' endemic with them that the addicted refer to as 'character' or 'part of the LR Experience' or cover up the complaints with a dozen 'one life- live it' stickers.. And taking a sawzall to an expensive car to fit a decent size tire???

Guess I will continue to lust after a 2 door RRC as my favourite (P38) is too much of a total POS to own.

Great thread btw. Got the redneck jeepers and the tea and Bovril set all constipated!

discuss...

A.J.M

Explorer
This thread is like the ones in the UK, only it's Defender's vs Disco's with the ocassional Freelander remark for good luck. :D

Now, like that one, the arguement could go round and round for ever and never get a proper answer to satisfy everyone.
So, in some cases, the D3/LR3 wins, other's the Jeeps.

Sorted. End of thread. :p

da10A

Adventurer
Trail rated? They slap that sticker on the Liberty don't they? Marketing. After 3 Jeeps I can honestly say that I will never go there again- just cheap stuff that is engineered to last out the warranty (or not).

And as for your modern Land Rovers? Very nice but I don't have time (or money) for the 'idiosyncrasies' endemic with them that the addicted refer to as 'character' or 'part of the LR Experience' or cover up the complaints with a dozen 'one life- live it' stickers.. And taking a sawzall to an expensive car to fit a decent size tire???

Guess I will continue to lust after a 2 door RRC as my favourite (P38) is too much of a total POS to own.

Great thread btw. Got the redneck jeepers and the tea and Bovril set all constipated!

discuss...
Wow.... Couldn't have said it better myself....

zelatore

Explorer

discuss...

Ah, a Toyota driver. Good to see you woke up from your coma long enough to join us on the Rover side. You may now return to the beige. I'd say have fun, but well....just try not to fall asleep behind the wheel, OK?

sailor

Observer
LOL yes the last 100,000 kilometres of no electrical/ mechanical issues, never being stranded, and missing a trip or commitment has been so stupefyingly boring, without 'soul', 'un-green' and barren. My MG and Healy provided enough of the 'Tweedy' ambiance thank you. Of course a two door RRC would fit in the garage quite nicely.. It is the same problem I have with the FJ Cruiser and newer (post '97) Toyotas. I just don't 'get' the newer stuff. I particularly don't 'get' how Land Rover are directing their marketing and product development. 'The Gods Must Be Crazy' days are basically forgotten. Money. Fashion. Gadgetry. Botox. Cosmetic excellence. It just hurts me on a basic level.

Oh I am a liar- mea culpa... I did turn the key once on my truck and it did not start. I was quite stunned. I think the passage of time ground to a halt! We were on a high ridge at the middle of the Kokopelli... oops- I had not shifted completely into neutral and the electric start interlock switch had not closed. The humanity!

dwvninety

Observer
Nothing wrong with Toyota....to each his own....having owned a FJ40 (actually it was my dad's who never drove it) I bought it for 2K kept it for 5 years and ended up selling it back to my dad for the same price. Great truck but I wish I would have kept it. Toyota's now are too boring. Yea they are dependable but I think the new models lack character. Hate on ...........

zelatore

Explorer
I get it - Toyotas are reliable. That is important. But no need to come over to a Rover forum and start throwing rocks about what a POS they are. We know the reputation already...we own them. And we've chosen to do so despite that reputation. Sometimes it's not just a factor of what vehicle will need the least maintenance. If it were, there pretty much wouldn't be a British or Italian auto industry at all. And the world would be a very sad, very beige place indeed.

(written by a guy who's owned many Italian and British vehicles but very few Japanese)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles