LR3 Ownership Update - Eight Weeks

Angry_Man

Adventurer
Mileage Driven: ~800

Required Maintenance:

1) Replace engine drive belts
2) Flush auto trans and replace filter (surprise, an LR3 requires dropping the subframe to access the pan, and replacing the entire pan because the filter is built into the assembly, I've dropped entire transmissions in less time)
3) Replace rear sway bar blown bushings
4) Replace front passenger side lower control arm and ball joint
5) Replace both front inner and outer tie rod ends
6) Surprise! Drivers side front sway bar link is missing from vehicle. Install a new one.
7) Flush and replace diff fluid
8) Air and cabin filters
9) Drop fuel tank pan and un-bend it - gas gauge works again and sender unit is where it should be.
10) Oil Change
11) Wheel alignment

Yesterday I spent about 3 hours at a nearby ORV Park to test how everything worked: (http://www.themounds.org/). The half freeway half highway drive there was awesome, it drives as nice as my Touareg did on road now that the suspension and alignment is up to snuff. Once we got to the destination - wow! The amount of capability they cram into this auto-magic 'Terrain Response' is unreal. With mild ATs that have 1/2" of tread left I went everywhere a locked 2 door JK with 4.5" suspension lift and 35 M/Ts went. Tons of comfort, capability, and performance from the air suspension and Johnson Rods. No need for the gap tool thankfully, and the spade shovels and tow straps stayed in the cargo area the entire time as well.

After 10" of rain this week, there were a LOT of built up trucks getting stuck, and 30-40 seconds of driving turned everyone's tires into slicks. I watched two rigs idiot pedal themselves into bogs that had become lakes without bothering to check depth. 25 feet later they killed their motors with water up to the tops of the steering wheels filling the entire passenger cabins. It was fun watching the giant tractor on staff to pluck them do work.

Here is a video of me testing out the rock crawl mode with low range, and towards the end you'll hear me use NSFW language. I didn't know this had the HD package with rear locker, when it engaged I was little more than happy, one thing off the 'To Do List'. http://youtu.be/NDVvXF2u6xg

To do list:

1) Roof mount for spare tire
2) Stronger rock sliders and nerf bars that attach to the frame rail and cover that open space
3) Skid plates all along the underbelly

Here is a picture on one of the mud hills and the truck back home, after driving through 30 minutes of rain storm gave it an impromptu bath. It will surely make my clean up job a bit easier.

H5O5pfk.jpg
IMG_2659.jpg

Mack73

Adventurer
Regarding the trans filter, you can get a metal replacement which allows for swapping the filter without jacking the engine/removing the subframe.

amg463

Observer
whoever filmed the video need be shot in the hand next time he attempts to shoot video in portrait mode

brickpaul65

Adventurer
Regarding the trans filter, you can get a metal replacement which allows for swapping the filter without jacking the engine/removing the subframe.

That is the route I went for the LR3 as well.

Contact info that can be removed if it is against the rules. I am not affiliated and I have not seen any sponsors carrying it.

Item ZF part#
> Steel pan 1068 203 042
> Gasket 1068 303 017
> Filter 0501 213 359
> Pan screws 0736 010 347 requires 21 screws

You can contact Erikson Industries in Saybrook CT, 800-388-4418

spikemd

Explorer
The unfortunate downside to independent suspension is so many parts that wear out, not to mention 6000+ lbs of fine British engineering. Solid axles are more robust but don't ride as nice.

Looks like you had fun.

How many miles on your LR3?

Angry_Man

Adventurer
The unfortunate downside to independent suspension is so many parts that wear out, not to mention 6000+ lbs of fine British engineering. Solid axles are more robust but don't ride as nice.

Looks like you had fun.

How many miles on your LR3?

It's worth the trade off for me, just over 65,400 miles. I bought it and have been getting ready for the TAT. That's the plan broken down into small sections of 3-4 days at a time, with a full day of travel to and from via interstates.

Angry_Man

Adventurer
Another amazing weekend. Did some true exploring of Michigan's back forests and state roads. I also did my first mild rock crawl, which I hope to have a video of sooner than later. Truck continues to perform excellently despite worn tires. I can't wait for fresh rubber and skid plates. image.jpg

And here's a video of my other toy doing the same rock crawl, at a much higher speed. http://youtu.be/xFJi4APPFKU

Angry_Man

Adventurer
I would suggest rock sliders more than "skid plates". Check with lucky8 or british4x4outfitters

I have some Rasta sliders but I'm going to replace them with Terra Firma or Tactical 4x4. I talked to Justin at Lucky8 last week and got a total quote for all the remaining goodies I'll want to feel comfortable going after the TAT, now it's time to save $$ until I can order.

Finlayforprez

Observer
I have some Rasta sliders but I'm going to replace them with Terra Firma or Tactical 4x4. I talked to Justin at Lucky8 last week and got a total quote for all the remaining goodies I'll want to feel comfortable going after the TAT, now it's time to save $$ until I can order.

I have the Tactical 4x4 rock sliders, gas tank skid, and transfer case skid plates. They provide some pretty great protection, though are VERY heavy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94