ATW USA Alpha Camper

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Nice! It looks like that is finally a pic of the fixed roof version? Interesting to see how they did the windows. Definitely want to see more. Looks like the FB page has some photos:
https://www.facebook.com/AllTerrainWarriorsUSA

No. This isn't our fixed roof version. Still coming ( when someone orders one that is).

In the pic is what we call our "Hardside Kit". It's four sides that bolt into place. The roof lifts up. Take the soft sides off. Bolt in the hard sides and drop the roof down a tiny bit to secure. It takes a few hours to do but it's not the sort of thing you would do often. However you have an option depending on the type of travel.

The fixed hardtop will look very different.

Regards john.

Last edited:

Keyne

Adventurer
No. This isn't our fixed roof version. Still coming ( when someone orders one that is).

In the pic is what we call our "Hardside Kit". It's four sides that bolt into place. The roof lifts up. Take the soft sides off. Bolt in the hard sides and drop the roof down a tiny bit to secure. It takes a few hours to do but it's not the sort of thing you would do often. However you have an option depending on the type of travel.

The fixed hardtop will look very different.

Regards john.

The roof kit is the one I was thinking of. The roof can be removed for container transport? I didn't know you were making a totally fixed roof as well. Now I want to see pics or drawings of that too! LOL. I really like the platform and options.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
So are you guys making the bodies in Oz and shipping them over to SMB or is SMB making the bodies?
Just curious about the cool modular construction you guys have going.

whatcharterboat

So are you guys making the bodies in Oz and shipping them over to SMB or is SMB making the bodies?
Just curious about the cool modular construction you guys have going.

Lance, How are you mate?

Do you remember me taking you and Vero across to the small shed directly over the road from our office ?? ....and I showed you that body under construction......well that was one of the first RHD bodies we actually assembled here in Yandina that we now call the Global Warrior. The LHD bodies are now shipped over to SMB / ATW USA already assembled and they drop them onto their chassis and fit them out with North American appliances, timber doors, etc to make the Alpha Camper. The LHD body retains most of the same parts as the RHD body. The floor and shower cubicle are made from different molds....same shape only mirrored. Otherwise all the parts are exactly what you saw when you visited. We purposely designed the camper to be made easily in a LHD or RHD format.

Mate, very sorry I did't make OvEx. Maybe in 2015. My boss made it. Did you see him there?

Best regards,
John.

Last edited:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Great so it is the same setup we saw...very nice that you can design something to work for pretty much any country.
Just curious if SMB was getting into the body molding biz since they have so much space, or if you were still popping out all that cool stuff in your shop.

Would have been great to see you this year John, maybe we will just have to come back your way :)

whatcharterboat

Great so it is the same setup we saw...very nice that you can design something to work for pretty much any country.
Just curious if SMB was getting into the body molding biz since they have so much space, or if you were still popping out all that cool stuff in your shop.

Would have been great to see you this year John, maybe we will just have to come back your way :)

Lance, yourself and family are welcome anytime ..... Just give me some warning so I can fit a snorkel to my little fourby in case we go to Fraser again. :snorkel:

Regards John.

Last edited:

eMULe

Global Warrior with "Hardside Kit" at Overland Expo

I think this is a photo of the referenced ATW Globlal Warrior with "Hardside Kit". I took it at Overland Expo. It was being delivered to its new owners by the Sportsmobile/ATW USA people.
ATW_GW Qtr.jpg
John, is the steeply sloping design from the rear axle back based solely on departure angle considerations or other design requirements? Over the years here I've gotten the idea that Australia is a world leader in restrictive vehicle regulation and modification restriction.
The reason I ask is that this vehicle had an Onan generator added. I realize this is an owner request not standard. It hangs down behind the axle and severely limits the departure angle.
ATW_GW Rear.jpg
The angle from the center of the tire contact patch to the rear of the gen. set/license mount is way below any other structure.
I've seen You Tube videos of Fusos making river/creek crossings in NE Australia where the original configuration would be great!
I'm also not criticizing the new owner. Everybody has different priorities, but is there another place to mount a generator if required?

Attachments

• ATW_GW Qtr.jpg
    ATW_GW Qtr.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 38

Keyne

Adventurer
Wow that looks nice. Also, looking at the pics (especially the front to front) it doesn't look as high (compared to the pop up version) as I would have thought.

whatcharterboat

John, is the steeply sloping design from the rear axle back based solely on departure angle considerations or other design requirements? Over the years here I've gotten the idea that Australia is a world leader in restrictive vehicle regulation and modification restriction.

Hi. Fair question. Well we don't have a law that makes us put lots of orange lights all round the roof of a truck but Australia does have a 60% overhang rule. So rear axle overhang here can be no more than 60% of the wheelbase. I know we have a lot of different vehicle regulations in Australia but honestly I am all for this one. So on a 3400mm wheelbase FG or similar, the maximum length behind the cab is about 4700mm. So if the back wall of your camper is vertical and you want to put a couple of spare wheels on the back then allow 400 or 500mm for this.....so your camper body ends up only 4200 or 4300mm plus the wheels and bumper.... and this usually will reduce departure to an extent. This new design shown here pushes the floorplan out to the maximum length of 4700mm, mounts two spares on the rear AND gives excellent departure angle.

I know the departure angle may look extreme but i have been out in few campers where we've done a lot of damage after one rear wheel drops in a rut and the rear corner or bumper end bottomed out. I can't see this happening now.

The reason I ask is that this vehicle had an Onan generator added. I realize this is an owner request not standard. ...........
I'm also not criticizing the new owner. Everybody has different priorities, but is there another place to mount a generator if required?

I can't really comment on this generator install. This is the first I knew about it. The North American chassis requires a completely different approach to what we do in Australia. Different chassis, different floorplan, different appliances, different solutions. For whatever reason (my guess is the amount of locker storage required by the client ) the location for the Onan was best in behind the diff. .......In Australia, we do have a planned location for an on-board diesel "Powermaker" in the front righthand locker.......but as i explained I cannot comment on whether this is suitable for the USA chassis. I should also add that very very few of our GW owners here carry a generator of any kind.

EMule , was that green cab FG yours?

Anyone got any more pics from OvEx?

Kind regards John.

Last edited:

yabanja

Explorer
I checked it out at the expo. I also noted the ground clearance issue in the rear. I like the fact that the ATW had hatches in the floor(I assume for storage.) Although they were a little loose a creaky when walking around on them. Everything is a compromise!

A.

eMULe

Competition is Good

John,
No, I wasn't able to bring the Fuso this year. Its plain refrigerator white. I came to Expo from California & the Fuso is in New Mexico. I didn't attend last year because I was traveling. I was in Oman, but not in the Fuso... I did take it to Expo the last year it was held S of Tucson.
I built my Fuso 20 years ago. There wasn't much to go on. I tried to make it like a small cruising boat cabin. It was a new cab & chassis & I bought a LOT of stuff at Boat US.
I Think its noteworthy that four firms are now building Fuso campers in the US. They were all at Expo.

Host:
Host Fuso.jpg

GlobalX
GlobalX Fuso.jpg

The ATW is shown above and Lance already posted a picture of an Earth Cruiser at 2014 Overland Expo.

They are all different so you can choose what's best for your needs, if the finances are there....

westyss

Explorer
I was at expo and saw this rig there and also ran into it on the north rim of the Grand Canyon parking lot, no owners around though, these are for you John! Nice looking rig!

DSCF9926_zpsb7cc7c7f.jpg

DSCF9925_zps827d41a1.jpg

whatcharterboat

I was at expo and saw this rig there and also ran into it on the north rim of the Grand Canyon parking lot, no owners around though, these are for you John! Nice looking rig!

Yves, thanks mate. Your truck's not to shabby either. A lot of home builders I talk to here in Oz comment on your truck......well done.

My boss and his wife went over to OvEx and afterwards the Sportsmobile / ATW USA guys took them for a really cool trip through Moab and up to Colorado. They took tons of pics but I really liked these.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member