Wildernest canvas replacement

christianoffroad

Cheap Adventurer!
20140412_125512_zps350fe991.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
So I finally was able to find and buy a Wildernest for my longbed full-size. Its in great shape overall, with the exception of mildew stains and a torn spot on one corner. Fiberglass and hardware in good shape, glass all good, even still had the divider curtain for the bed area. I have dreamed of owning one of these for years, and plan on fully restoring this one. SO here is the problem- NOBODY wants to touch this thing! Trying to find a place who is willing to replace the canvas is like looking for pirate treasure- everyone has an opinion on where to look, lots of dead ends, and there is a possibility the whole thing is cursed! I have been to every local awning shop, upholsterer, and RV dealer with results ranging from looks of puzzlement to outright laughter. The truck this is on was my dads, who bought it new. He passed it on to me as well as the love for adventure and exploration. It has become sort of a tribute vehicle restoration, and the Wildernest is the centerpiece. He passed away two years ago, and I want to get this thing out and show my son what a wonderful world God has made!

Now that I have told my tale, does anyone have any suggestions? I have started firing off emails to various places around the country (Bear Creek, Canvas Replacements, etc.) and so far haven't gotten anywhere. My wife and I are even tossing around the idea of just buying material and having a go at doing it ourselves! I can fabricate about anything from steel, aluminum, or plastic, but fabric gives me the heebee-jeebees!

I will start a build thread on here as soon as I can get the pics organized from the last couple years. I tend to spend more time working on things than taking pics!

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I have at various times gotten promising leads but no one wants to commit. I even know one seamstress who used to work for WilderNest sewing them originally (they did them in house) and she had no interest in doing it again.

I have had some luck if I wanted to buy them in lots of 100 having them done commercially, but the upfront $50,000 to set up was a little steep.

FWIW, if you want to do one yourself you need a long arm sewing machine, which come up from time to time on Craigslist.

surlydiesel

Adventurer
What about checking with a Pop-Up camper company? Sorry to be of little to no help. My guess is most places don't want to take on the work with a rough estimate and end up being completely wrong...

-jorge

austintaco

Explorer
I just want to add, that your truck and the Wildernest look great. I wish you the best of luck in finding someone to take on this endeavor.

brian90744

American Trekker
canvas replacement

Try calling "Idaho Canvas Products.com" 1-888-395-7999 - Toll Free, You may have to send your old canvas for them to copy. Just FYI=brian

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
What about checking with a Pop-Up camper company? Sorry to be of little to no help. My guess is most places don't want to take on the work with a rough estimate and end up being completely wrong...

-jorge
Most do not handle the relatively light nylon WilderNest used but the heavier stuff. Plus the companies that sew these do them in batches and have patterns, so a one-of is not worth their time even if they could dial back their machines not to tear up the fabric. It's a little odd, the material is thinner than typically used with RVs but heavier than tents and parachutes usually use. The best chance seems to be people who can sew boat sails and awnings, actually.

gwittman

Adventurer
My brother worked for the company that built the fiberglass part of the Wildernest. He found several tents for me at an auction at the original plant about 15 years ago. I will contact him to see if he knows of any possible sources for a new or good condition tent to fit your Wildernest. He may not be able to help but it is worth a shot.

christianoffroad

Cheap Adventurer!
gwittman, I would be eternally greatful if you can come up with anything! A factory new would be a true answered prayer!

Austintaco, thanks for the compliment, it doesn't look like much, but the list of mods are pretty long. I am a fan of the older looking trucks with all the modern day goodies (think Bluetooth, pushbutton start, high end stereo, all the creature comforts, etc.) I keep the reliability by making sure the electronics wont interfere with the trucks operation if they fail.

christianoffroad

Cheap Adventurer!
I finally got one place that says they can do it! Anybody had experience with RV Workshop? (www.rvworkshop.com) Seems like all the places who do this are located in Loyal, WI! They said if I remove it and send it to them they can make a new one and guarantee the fit! Hoping someone has done business with them and can give them a thumbs up!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94