Chevy Colorado.

bobfoe95

Is anybody here running a chevy colorado as their expo rig? I have not had mine for a very long time but it has been very reliable. My only concern is the crappy front end like all GMs have. Since it is an aluminum housing I could not run a front locker with any kind of reliability. I am not sure how confident I would be without a front locker since my trail jeep has one and it is priceless for getting through some tough stuff.

Would you think a 4 inch suspension, 33s, rear locker and a winch would be enough to count on this truck as an expo rig?

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
yeah, should be a great setup with that. I dont' own one but just going to something that can run 33's, you will be much more capable.

1stDeuce

Explorer
NorthernExplorer has one that lives in Michigan's UP and gets plenty of on and off-road miles on it with a FWC in the back.

And as far as the "crappy front end", I think you need to stop hanging out with the Ford and Dodge guys... Having owned and abused several GM trucks, I can tell you I've never had a problem with the front driveline or suspension. Lots of people are running lockers and stoopid power through the front of 2500/3500 trucks with no problems, and that's an aluminum housing. The housing doesn't care if there's a locker in it or not... It doesn't see any additional stress from a locker vs. an open diff. The CV do, but not the housing. I think the unavailablity of a locker for the small trucks is more due to lack of demand than strength... The 9.25" that's in a 2500/3500 probably wouldn't have a locker either, except that it actually uses the same carrier that the 9.5" semi-floater rear uses, so there's a lot more potential for sales and usage, and so lockers got developed that will fit it.

Given that the Colorado is part developed by Isuzu, I wouldn't think you could hardly go wrong with one!

Last edited:

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I think the coloarado will be an awesome rig, love the size, esp 4 door one. size of a taco without the rust holes. Build it and drive the wheels off it. I bet you will go way farther than you will realize once your behind the wheel enjoying it.

4x4x4doors

Explorer
Check the mid-size photos thread Here. Several Colorados there. I'm liking mine. The relatively long wheelbase and low clearance for the t-case are what I see as the limitations of it but your plan of 33s and the 4" should go along way towards addressing that.

Good power, decent gas mileage for what it is. Comfortable ride, reliable, good visiblity. The G80 (if you have it) is a vast improvement over the ones installed in the S10-based vehicles.

Because of the low breakover, I'd look at moving the e-brake cables while you're mucking about underneath. Putting them under the framerails was not the brightest thing GM ever did.

076.jpg068.jpg

beags86

Adventurer
image.jpg using a canyon for mine. Great truck. Mine has the factory locker in it have a 4 inch kit with 33s and a softtopper. Had a thread stating my plans (I think) have a bunch more stuff planned and done when I get around to taking some pics. The h3 hummers had a locker in the front diff. But with the rear locker in 4 wheel I have never had a problem. Have which for the front and rear, receiver mount. With the tires, locker and some good recovery gear and decent driving skill there is really nothing I am worried about with taking this platform offroad.
These things are really underrated in the world of tacos we live in.

Last edited:

rkj__

Adventurer
My Canyon has been reliable so far. However, hanging around 355 Nation and Canada355, I have read of numerous failures.

The CVs fail sometimes. The best thing you can do there is keep them as close to the stock angle as possible. So, if you lift, go with a Rancho kit, not a torsion bar crank.

The steering racks fail sometimes. Apparently, this problem can be largely prevented by a mount upgrade from Mayhem.

The CV on the transfer case occasionally fails. I replaced mine with a new shaft from Rocky Mountain Driveline.

Anyway, I will post a few pictures of my truck below. It has some Super-Skidz skid plates, a Skyjacker kit, and 265/75R16 tires.

Stock
IMG_9232.jpg

Lifted
IMG_0427_zps91a6cfa9.jpg

IMG_0642_zps74fa40be.jpg

JH234524_zpsaa417f48.jpg

Last edited:

DougFam

I had an 05 extended cab z71 4x4. I did a small lift, and dropped the front diff a little to correct the CV angles. It was a great truck, but with the addition of my second child I needed more room than the extended cab offered. I'm considering buying another one in 2016.

bobfoe95

Thanks for the information guys.

Just wanted to add that the housing should matter with the front locker. The original explorer package on the H3 had the aluminium housing but was soon changed due to it constantly breaking. And I do not hang out with the ford guys. I know for a fact chevy front ends were very poor on the previous trucks I have owned. I have had 3 OBS chevys and all had front end issues. But I could say this was due to the -
1. Bad k1500 size. Heavy enough to put some stress up front, but not heavy duty enough for k2500 size parts.

2. The 4x4 of the late 80s early 90s (which is the kind I have owned) is junk. I have a messed up k1500 in the driveway to prove it.

3. My k1500 only has a 4.3 and 32s yet I have broken just about every front part over the last few years with minor wheeling and snow use.

I know the front ends have come a very long way and I hope this colorado holds up. Just by working on some front end stuff and with some snow use I can tell the front end if beefier than the old trucks I have had.

4x4junkie

Explorer
Thanks for the information guys.

Just wanted to add that the housing should matter with the front locker. The original explorer package on the H3 had the aluminium housing but was soon changed due to it constantly breaking.

Didn't the H3 have something like 33" factory size tires? I think that is far more likely the reason for a switch away from an aluminum diff housing.

Cruiser

Adventurer
The front end is really not that bad, and if you want to upgrade look for the alpha package h3 or h3t this had a really beefy front axle. direct bolt in and much better. I ran k1500's and k2500's for years from the late 80's into the early 2000's. We routinely got over 240k miles before front axle work. The s-10 would need some work if ran on the farm/construction sites. Had no real issues with the chevy front axles,, rear axles a few and loads of steering boxes. Our fords front and rear axles, engines, trans and constant injector and turbo issues. 6.6, 6.0, and now 6.7.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne