My new unlimited rear windows

rubicon91

Explorer
I got this idea actually from reading the whole Ursa Minor thread on here and the pics of the top with no side windows in the rear on it. It occured to me after looking at the photos of the rear not having a window why couldn't I have the same thing. So with that being said I had a perfect set of rear side windows laying around and also a bikini top that I was not using. They were almost a perfect color match. I decided I was tired of worrying about scratching my tinted side windows and to be perfectly honest saw no need in having windows in the rear of a 4 door Jeep anyways and the Ursa Minor picks kind of sealed the deal. So I decided to go to a canvas shop and have them put something together for me. I love it. Now I do not have to worry about scratching the side rear windows and I can leave them in the Jeep for when I need them. Also keeps some prying eyes from looking into the rear. I wish Mopar or another vendor made these. I am thinking I may do my rear window as well since with the spare tire on you really do not see much out of the rear view mirror anyways. Just have to think some on that. What do you guys think.

Also I live in FL so coming here very shortly it will rain every afternoon for about 30 minutes but be beautiful the whole morning so I can just throw these in the rear of the Jeep without worrying about any scratches and put them on if it rains quickly.

Attachments

• photo93.jpg
    photo93.jpg
    564.6 KB · Views: 76
  • photo90.jpg
    photo90.jpg
    563.5 KB · Views: 69
  • photo91.jpg
    photo91.jpg
    559.7 KB · Views: 67
  • photo92.jpg
    photo92.jpg
    532.6 KB · Views: 64

jscusmcvet

Explorer
I think it is cool if it suits you and looks great. Do you find any issues with visibility with backing up, etc?

rubicon91

Explorer
Visibility isn't an issue since it's the side rear windows and you cannot see out of them or use them for visibility anyways. I didn't do the rear window just the sides at this time.

Vince1

Adventurer
Awesome idea! I need to do this. Looks great. I don't think I'd do the rear window, but sides are a must. Maybe modify as a zip pouch/bags for lightweight item storage like rain poncho or towels. Hmmm. What did the shop charge you to fabricate?

rubicon91

Explorer
The shop I went to is a marine canvas shop in town and the only one I trusted. With that being said I thought they were a little high priced but I didnt have the time nor energy to shop around. I paid $65/window for them to do it. I think I could have found it a lot cheaper. I live in a coastal town on the gulf of Mexico so lots of marine canvas type stores but they are just spread out and not convenient for me. I think you could realistically get this done probably around $40-$45/window. I do like the idea of some pouches also. I can modify the inside if I decide. Maybe add some sort of mole rack (light weight).

rubicon91

Explorer
I like it!
The lack of side rear windows is a complete non issue.

Brianjwilson Thank you! You and Cobblecrazy were pretty much the inspiration behind the idea. I love those J30's you guys have and well it isnt realistic where I live to have one currently. Maybe a few years time but I loved the fact that you didnt have any rear side windows on yours. Got me thinking and since I had a set laying around that no one wanted I said why not lets see. BTW did you ever sell your Jeep? If you were not on the other side of the country and I could actually have places to go and utilize it like it should I would have sold off 1 or 2 of my children for it. LOL JK! I do love your Jeep and one day hope to head out west and do some traveling maybe end up in baha mexico for a summer.

nnnnnate

Adventurer
When I clicked the link I was hoping you installed hinged glass windows like on the back of mini vans. Your mod does look pretty decent, but I don't know that I'd black out the rear window

rubicon91

Explorer
When I clicked the link I was hoping you installed hinged glass windows like on the back of mini vans. Your mod does look pretty decent, but I don't know that I'd black out the rear window

Yeah I thought about it and at this time I will not be doing my rear window. Am excited though over the next 2 days I will be seeing some more transformation. Just got in my LOD Armor Lite Front Bumper and my new front drive shaft so those will go on tomorrow and my new rugged ridge hood latches are in route and will be at my house today so I can put those bad boys on as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne