Removing FG Canter rear springs ????

Barrabindi

Observer
I want to swap my springs and shocks from my FG649 to my FG84. All looks pretty straight forward, until I got to the front shackle of the rear springs.

I have found very little info via the internet. Some info on the Fuso manual on CD. Not an instruction but a pic of a slide hammer.

It appears that I should remove the retention bolt(like a cotter pin), remove the grease nipple in the shackle pin, screw in a slide hammer fitting, and bang away??

Presumably, first, taking up the weight with a jack and stand.

Is it that straight forward??

And the reverse procedure to install?

Thanks
Andrew

gait

Explorer
yup, its that simple, easier to do both sides at the same time so there's no twisting, tall axle stands help,

the female slide hammer screws on the male thread of the pin, not the grease nipple hole.

Doesn't have to be an elaborate slide hammer. I used an M21 nut (from memory and just measuring but it could be M22) and a short bolt with a hole drilled across, I used one from a banjo joint, to put a screwdriver or similar through then gentle taps with the weight off. The nut is deep enough to join bolt to pin.

One of those things where one wishes that greasing had been done regularly! :) :)

Assembly hint for front of front - insert one half rubber bush then offer up spring, second half can be inserted through large hole covered when pin inserted. I kicked myself when realising that after a couple of hours .... :)

PS found the special tool in the manual, thread is M22 x 1.5

Last edited:

Barrabindi

Observer
Great tips.

I found a M22x1.5 nut ,(120km round trip and $6.00) and will weld it to an appropriate fitting/nut to suit a slide hammer.

Thanks

Buckstopper

Adventurer
Words of advice: Before you start taking things apart, pull a tape and measure the length of your springs to make sure they are the same length as the ones on the FG. Don't ask me how I know this.

Buckstopper

Barrabindi

Observer
Buckstopper

Both trucks are "FG's"....... 2003 FG649 and 2009 FG84

The rear springs are 15mm shorter, from eye to eye. However they have been re-set aprox 2 to 3 inches higher than original. So the spring hanger hangs slightly rearward on old springs and slightly forward on the re-set springpack.

The front springs are same length. They are aftermarket, more springs, thinner springs and aprox 2 to 3 inches higher

They appear to be interchangable ????????

Buckstopper

Adventurer
Barrabindi - I learned the hard way that 2005 FG and current model FG springs are not the same length...not even close. You have done what I should have done and pulled a tape first and confirmed that your springs should work before taking things apart.

Buckstopper

Adventurer
Nope. They have been returned to ATW. Awaiting shipment of the right springs for my truck from Australia. They were about 2" too long as I recall. Shock studs were wrong as well so pretty much nothing fit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles