Exploring with the Expedition Trailer in South East Utah

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I spent quite a while in Utah in April going to the White Rim Trail, all around Canyonlands, Dead Horse Point State Park, Arches NP, a long drive and short hike to the Great Gallery and more. Lots of pix in the blog but here are some favorites.

Green River Overlook
NKN_7052-1.JPG

White Rim's own little slot canyon
P1120611-1.JPG

Not a Windoze 7 desktop photo!
NKN_7282-1.jpg

Ancient graffiti
NKN_7380-1.jpg

Red rock? What red rock? :elkgrin:
NKN_6995-1.jpg

http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com/2014/05/exploring-with-expedition-trailer-in.html

echo7tango

Road tripping, overlanding
Hey Jim, those are some nice pictures here and in your blog. Looks like a great route through some fantastic country. Great vistas.
What was your basic route? Or was all of that on the White Rim Trail?

teotwaki

Excelsior!
The basic trip schedule:

Sat 3/29: Check out Arches NP, Camp at Dead Horse Pt
Sun 3/30: White Rim Trail, camp at Candle Stick, local exploring & hiking
Mon 3/31: White Rim Trail, camp at White Crack, local exploring & hiking
Tues 4/1: White Rim Trail, camp at Airport B, local exploring & hiking
Wed 4/2: Exit out through the lower Shafer Trail towards the evaporation ponds, Camp along the Colorado River
Thurs 4/3: 4WD Long Canyon and visit Canyonlands viewpoints
Sat 4/5: Visit Gemini Bridges (twin arches) then drive in to the Great Gallery and hike in
Sun 4/6: camp nearby

White Crack was the best camp spot of all of them!
NKN_6844-1.JPG

Last edited:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Awesome! Thanks for the posting. Great Gallery is pretty spectacular!

Thanks! The long, long drive into the Gallery is well worth it. The hike is similar to all of the canyons I hiked off of Lake Powell and also going down the Paria River.

el taco loco

Observer
Thought we'd be in the back country of Canyonlands for a bit of our 6/17 - 6/30 trip to Utah, then found out that absolutely no pets are allowed...even if they're inside your vehicle. Oh well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Thought we'd be in the back country of Canyonlands for a bit of our 6/17 - 6/30 trip to Utah, then found out that absolutely no pets are allowed...even if they're inside your vehicle. Oh well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, those sorts of things just show how ridiculous the "public servants" are.

SebM

Observer
I just saw your quotes, and I fully agree that "A bad day on the trail is better than a good day in the city".

To spend 1 night in the different campground of the White Rim, is there a way to have the permit the day you arrive in the area ? (unfortunately I'm not able to plan a precise date)

Séb M

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I just saw your quotes, and I fully agree that "A bad day on the trail is better than a good day in the city".

To spend 1 night in the different campground of the White Rim, is there a way to have the permit the day you arrive in the area ? (unfortunately I'm not able to plan a precise date)

Séb M

Hey!

I'm really sorry i missed your question until spotting it just now. It would be best to call and talk to the rangers at the visitor center. I've never gone there without getting a permit months in advance. If you can't get the permit you should try to camp at the Dead Horse Point Campground (Utah State facility) and then you could take a day drive into the White Rim Trail.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I confirm we've got the permit at the visitor center for the night.

It is great that you are coming to America for your visit! I've been to Paris, Beauvais and a few other places but there is so much to explore in France!

clcoyle

Explorer
Great Photos and trip report, nice write-up on your Blog too. Southern Utah is really such a vast and beautiful place, cant wait to return.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Great Photos and trip report, nice write-up on your Blog too. Southern Utah is really such a vast and beautiful place, cant wait to return.

It was great when you came out to Utah for the Maze District Expedition. Too bad you could not make it to Colorado! I'm still working on those photos.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles