Sportsmobile Cut-a-Way Body @ Overland Expo

lndhark

Adventurer
Just saw this posted on SMB-West's Facebook:

10367176_10152454756656354_5531920398559667779_n.jpg

This is SMB-West's new build using an E-350, SRW cut-a-way chassis and a fiberglass rear section. This is their solution to the discontinuation of the E-Series bodied van...pretty neat, I think. Supposedly the body aft of the cab is slightly wider which also allows for a bigger penthouse bed. It's my understanding that the E-350/450 cut-a-way will continue through 2019 (RV builders rejoice) which means that SMB will be able to continue a Ford-based, solid axle, leaf-sprung turn-key rig for many more years.

zelatore

Explorer
I walked past that rig a few times and wondered what the 'lip' was about but wasn't interested enough to look closer as I'm not in the market for a van. Interesting. Any idea what this adds to the cost? It has to be higher labor/material to build your own body.

lndhark

Adventurer
I walked past that rig a few times and wondered what the 'lip' was about but wasn't interested enough to look closer as I'm not in the market for a van. Interesting. Any idea what this adds to the cost? It has to be higher labor/material to build your own body.

I think it goes back to that saying: "if you have to ask..." But that's a good question. The buy-in on a cut-a-way is a bit less than a full on E-Series but I doubt that's enough to offset the cost of the new body.

haven

Expedition Leader
"could you just put it on the back of a pickup truck?"

Well, anything is possible. The SMB camper is a box with one end missing, so you'd have to 'glass it to the back of the truck cab somehow, and cut a passage through the back wall of the truck cab for access into the camper.

The Ford web site says the cutaway E350 starts at $27,660. That's $9,000 less than the cost of a Sprinter van.
http://www.ford.com/commercial-trucks/eseries-cutaway/trim/cutawaye350srw/

The Ram ProMaster is less expensive. The Promaster cutaway starts at $26,030. Front wheel drive gives it a lower floor/easier access. Maybe the SMB plan is to develop the new modular camper box for use on several manufacturers' chassis.

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
Just saw this posted on SMB-West's Facebook:

This is SMB-West's new build using an E-350, It's my understanding that the E-350/450 cut-a-way will continue through 2019 (RV builders rejoice) which means that SMB will be able to continue a Ford-based, solid axle, leaf-sprung turn-key rig for many more years.

Add to this the amount of used cutaways/ambos this could likely fit on and the amount of these they can sell goes up by quite a bit.

Additionally they could have these pre-built with standard options and I would think the turn around time for a sportsmobile would be cut by a considerable amount.

I would like to read more about it....

Last edited:

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Great idea to continue the E series as they've built them. Cool to start with a clean slate too!

I seriously doubt that they'll sell them as a kit or a finished box but they can chime in on that.

lndhark

Adventurer
Great idea to continue the E series as they've built them. Cool to start with a clean slate too!

I seriously doubt that they'll sell them as a kit or a finished box but they can chime in on that.

Could always buy one from SMB in 2WD and ship it east (or order parts from that guy with the kit to do it :sombrero:)

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I had a long chat with Jonathan from Sportsmobile about this. It is quite impressive.

the side doors are Ford original steel doors. for the back door, they are considering a 3 sections with 2 bottom doors on each side and one large hatch on the top.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I had a long chat with Jonathan from Sportsmobile about this. It is quite impressive.

the side doors are Ford original steel doors. for the back door, they are considering a 3 sections with 2 bottom doors on each side and one large hatch on the top.

Dutch Doors? like on the Astro van? That's an odd choice for an expo type vehicle. Unless the top hatch is very narrow (vertically), you won't be able to open it if you have a spare tire or any other accessories on the rear. You'd have to open a swing-away before you can open the top.

It's been a very limiting feature of the Astro.

lndhark

Adventurer

Care to share any more info about your conversation with Johnny?

cwsqbm

Explorer
Sort of nice that it looks like a van for the stealth campers and those that need their campers to be pretty. However, if you've got to build a complete body, straight side walls like an ambulance or box truck give a lot more inside space and open up the option of a bed sideways that can fit a 6' tall person.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Sort of nice that it looks like a van for the stealth campers and those that need their campers to be pretty. However, if you've got to build a complete body, straight side walls like an ambulance or box truck give a lot more inside space and open up the option of a bed sideways that can fit a 6' tall person.

I agree, it would have been an opertunity to make a new ground up camping "van", to improve on the design. But the whole platform is going away in five years, so it might not have been worth the investment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94