HF 4x4 Enclosed to 4x8 Utility Conversion Trailer Build - Adapt for Offroad

bluebruin

Adventurer
I get 53-58mpg per tank in summer going to and from work, 84 miles RT, from 8200ft to 5280 to 8200ft.

I get 46-48 mpg winter with studded snow tires.

So far, I get about 42mpg with the trailer and snow tires in winter. Summer will be much better. That's also considering I am hauling around stuff in the trailer. Not bad I think. Better than my jeep JK which gets 12mpg with my lift and a trailer.

Last edited:

bluebruin

Adventurer
update after use

just a quick update after some use. Trailer works good. VERY bouncy on concrete highways, smooth as silk on asphalt. loaded it works fine on both. I'll just live with it I think, not worth the $ to upgrade the leaf springs.

The latches on the bottom of the box, while convenient, come loose over time bouncing along on the highway. I actually lost the whole top box on a side street going about 30mph! not a fun way to realize my latches were not staying latched! but, pretty funny in retrospect. The box hit the ground flat and just slid.... no flipping, thanks goodness, so damage was extremely minimal. The latches were toast, so I replaced them with some bolts. Welded a nut on the back inside of the frame. Now, if I want to remove the box, I unscrew the bolts.

20150124_090947.jpg

The box carries a surprising amount of cargo. Stays dry. Have not had much in the unfolded utility form yet. If I have a bulky item, like plywood or a ladder or something, I just set it on top of the box and toss a few wratchet straps over it. I can extend the draw bar if I have something long like a ladder. Works great.

I recommend a trailer to anyone with a car, very useful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz