Dodge & La " Es Skamper" build

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
After searching for quite some time for an affordable ATC or FWC camper I just about had given up on owning a pop-up. But then I found two threads that gave me a new found sense of excitement. SLO's and ToolBoxGuy builds on expo :

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/38813-Budget-Skamper-Fix-Build

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/71510-Updating-a-1988-Skamper-072S

I am a fabricator not what you would call handy with wood working. The biggest "wood working" project I had done up to this point is the should be torn down dog house in the backyard. Because of this I stayed away from any of the wood based campers. But as luck or fate ...not sure just yet would have it an old 60s Skamper was posted on my local craigslist. Only a couple miles away from work, so I was able to swing on down during lunch to just take a look.

It was love at first sight!!!! The little Skamper was in great shape for the year ( 1991). The Canvas was clean and stain free, appliances were all there ( un-known if they all worked) and the roof cranked like butter. Also I did a little reading on Expo and WTW about what to look for. The roof held the half way down/ quarter way down without aslip. The corners looked crack free and from what I could tell there was no rot.

Plus I had to own a camper with a cool story of its own... One I would never know but could only imagine, as it had a sticker that indicated the Skamper had lived the life of and adventurer

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
The little lady came down after work and met me at the sellers shop. I am so lucky to have a partner with an amazing sense of adventure and willingness to go along with my crazy ideas. We had been to the local FWC dealer and she loved them. However, we just couldnt afford such a purchase at this time. The Skamper and the tiny price tag were given their blessings and a deal was struck!

Based on SLOs build I knew I would have to get creative in order to get this bad boy home. Luck for me the seller was willing to hold onto the Skamper for a week until I could make arrangements with some friends to get the skamper home.

Okay so if anybody is reading this do you have a suggestion for a better photo hosting site. Photobucket is a mess now. ( i havent used it in a long while) way to many ads and keeps freezing. I have a ton of pictures to post of the build so far but this is killing me slow.

Thanks

bill harr

Adventurer
As far as hosting photos I am using a Blog and hosting my photos there. Just google blog or blogger. I have one hidden page on my blog just for misc pictures.

Bill
My Blog

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
Lets test out the tip with imgr.

So a couple of shots of the interior. We both decided that the late 80s/90 wood panel look had to be updated

nG5GZbdl.jpg

lu7hZr6l.jpg

rsfZGK4l.jpg

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
Now for the initial teardown! It amazes me how simple the construction of these old campers are. While I was working on the bed box that the camper would sit on to clear the cab of the Dodge I turned Vi loose with a makita drill and she had this thing apart in a short amount of time.

jZftaoJl.jpg

STU3VNvl.jpg

TNBylEm.jpg

FDDk6jZ.jpg

VT5va4tl.jpg

9cmpG7Hl.jpg

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
`Finally found out what the square looking bit that is included in every "drill bit set"

trrA0pnl.jpg

Now top get to work making the bed box the camper will sit on in order to clear the cab..

KrwsmTCs.jpg

One small tip: If you go late to Lowes they offer cut to fit on a huge table saw. This was a nice find as I own very few wood working tools.
XbWjTOsl.jpg

H36e4cUl.jpg

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
I would later find out that this design would need to be modified. Oh well it was interesting making a box with slightly bowed wood.

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
kvaVyW0l.jpg

a few more and I am off to bed

ibUW2f4l.jpg

I did discover that this old camper wood panel isnt exactly wood. It requires a lot of prep work. Of course I read this after the fact.

A note for anybody looking to paint the old panel type wood. Invest it some good base coat material such as KIllz or the rustolium cabinet kit. I didnt and it required many extra layers. We will see how the interior latex semi gloss paint hold up.

2yJEgFYl.jpg

a1AsnJTl.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles