Steel thickness for recovery points?

96Delica

Adventurer
I would like to get some proper recovery points made for the front of the Delica but I'm wondering what you fine folks think the best thickness of steel would be? I'm thinking 1/4". There are factory bolts through the front of the sub frame that I will have a closer look at and see if they are adequate for bolting them to. The factory brush guard bolts there and my current full chrome monstrosity uses some of them as well.

Thanks!

Arclight

SAR guy
Can you post some photos of the area you want to fab these mounts? The shape and how they are boxed in and attached is probably more important than the thickness.

Arclight

I would like to get some proper recovery points made for the front of the Delica but I'm wondering what you fine folks think the best thickness of steel would be? I'm thinking 1/4". There are factory bolts through the front of the sub frame that I will have a closer look at and see if they are adequate for bolting them to. The factory brush guard bolts there and my current full chrome monstrosity uses some of them as well.

Thanks!

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
You also need to take into account the full weight your rig will be when being recovered and fully loaded.
I honestly wouldn't trust anything less than 1/2 inch, and that's for a slow winch recovery. For a kinetic strap recovery, you want at least 1 inch thick points with shackles.
Check out the recovery equipment forum here. Lots more info on recovery and recovery points.

96Delica

Adventurer
So, after some closer inspection I think anything would require some heavy fab work.
This is what I was hoping for, you can see this guys recovery point in red that he has on his custom bumper.
IMG_4601.JPG
This is what I am working with though, there are supposed to be factory tow points but I think they must've been removed when the previous owner installed the bull bar.
P5240020.jpg
P5240019.jpg

Scoutn79

Adventurer
Also give consideration to how the recovery point is mounted and what is is mounted to. The strongest recovery point won't do any good if the welds/bolts or the structure the point is attached to aren't up to the task.
I have seen massive bumpers mounted to factory bumper brackets that were marginal for a stock bumper and wondered what's the point????

Looking at your pics I wouldn't trust those brackets for holding a recovery point...anything more an the lightest tug and that flimsy multi-bend bracket is going to bend and possibly tear. An off-center pull will likely bend it easily.

Darrell

Last edited:

96Delica

Adventurer
I wasn't planning on using those brackets, they are absolutely for show only. I did think that there were bolt holes on the side of the chassis from the stock bull bar though. I'm thinking if I can get something that can be on the bottom where the current brackets are and wrap up around the outside of the chassis and welded on.... Hmmmm....

96Delica

Adventurer
So here is a VERY rough idea of something that could be welded to the frame, with a hole through the arc portion for a shackle.

Screen Shot 2014-05-25 at 11.47.16 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-05-25 at 11.47.36 AM.jpg

bob91yj

Resident **************
Also give consideration to how the recovery point is mounted and what is is mounted to. The strongest recovery point won't do any good if the welds/bolts or the structure the point is attached to aren't up to the task.
I have seen massive bumpers mounted to factory bumper brackets that were marginal for a stock bumper and wondered what's the point????

Darrell

Another option are tow truck hooks that fit into the random holes in the frame. I've wheeled with a guy that drives a tow truck for a living, I've seen him use his at rock crawling events while working course recovery (back when crawlers were based on real vehicles).

Quick search found these...
http://www.easternwreckerstore.com/Hook-J-Hook-and-Grab-Hooks-for-Towing-and-Recovery-s/3.htm

I've seen a bling bumper pulled right off the back of a Jeep Wrangler during a recovery. You think dodging a broken winch cable is fun, attach a bumper/tire carrier to the scenario. I'm the annoying safety guy during recoveries. Watching some folks trying to use their winch/Hi Lift jack is watching an accident looking for a place to happen.

Last edited:

Outback

Explorer
Multiple points of connection per single recovery point will also be needed on the vehicle pictured above.

96Delica

Adventurer
I'm fully aware that my chrome-ness is nothing more than a fancy light mount. It was on it when I bought it. I've since come to realize that the stock tow points are on the stock bar, since that has been removed, I'm hosed. I think my only option is going to be getting something like THIS welded onto some appropriate plate steel and then have said steel welded to my frame. There's a couple places near me I may check out. The only problem is that it puts the recovery points pretty far under the front so if I'm pointing down at all and need recovery, my front bumper won't survive. Frick.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
You may want to consider getting a new bumper then, or get the old stock one back in place. I don't know how tough the old bumper would have been, but either way, that fancy light mount ain't anything more than show room glitter.

thedjjack

Dream it build it
the unibody on the delica makes it a challenge to get the recover load spread across very thin metal. It was a challenge when I did my swing bumper on my L300 and still I was told there was no way it would work... It held up for 2 years of abuse while I had it...

1stDeuce

Explorer
Lots of unibody vehicles have decently strong tow points. XJ,WJ,ZJ Jeeps are all Unibody, and I've never seen a mount ripped out of the unibody, though I have seen some bent mounts...
I think you're mostly on your own with this project, but it's not without hope. That shrubbery guard looks like it picks up one bolt on the bottom of the "frame", and I'm guessing several more on the inside surface. You should be able to pick up some of those inner surface points with a plate. Add a hole for the shackle, and at least three good bolts with heavy backers through whatever structure is there, and you have a good recovery point. Obviously a hillbilly with a 3/4 truck and a chain will rip it right off, but most of the time steady pulls and a little assistance is enough to free you if you're not four wheeling for fun and buried it mud to the headlights.

Let's see what's behind that skidplate... :)
I also see a fairly heavy mounting bolt just behind the one for the front guard... What's that for? Might be a place to head, as it looks rather substantial.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
You may want to consider getting a new bumper then, or get the old stock one back in place. I don't know how tough the old bumper would have been, but either way, that fancy light mount ain't anything more than show room glitter.

Well, it may not be up to recovery but it serves its purpose, holding lights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94