Pop-up for 1977 D100...

eyemgh

Hello all!

I've been looking at various trailer, RV and camper options for several years now and decided that I'm not going to use it enough to justify a full time rig. So, I'm considering a pop-up for my Dodge. It's a '77 d100 with a slant 6 225 and a short bed.

I'll use it primarily for backcountry skiing within 2h of home. It doesn't need running water or even a stove, just reasonably warm "real" sleeping quarters and the ability to put on boots without getting out and while sitting chair style (not like sitting on the bed of the truck with legs out in front).

I'll beef up the springs and update the carb to a weber, but it'll still need to be light. I really like the FWC products, but don't want to spend that much for as little as I'll use it.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
You can use just about anything. If you browse the used listings, you'll come across all kinds of makes, many of which aren't made any more.

I like the wood-construction pop-ups. They're usually wider and have more space.

You might consider putting an 8-foot camper in if you like extra space.

It sounds like a great platform.

eyemgh

What's on top of your rig?

Due to the low power, I'm really trying to go light. Does that change your thoughts?

Thanks!

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Mine's a 1988 Four Seasons (built in Colorado, went out of business years ago) Magnum (8-foot).

From what I've seen, the real-world weight numbers of the FWCs and the others, for similar floor plans, aren't all that different. You probably won't want to balance a 10-foot with a full bath on there but most 6-8 foot, simpler pop-ups are fairly similar in weight.

Just browse around your local craigslist, wander the west, etc and see what's around. You might want to stay under about 1100 lbs but most campers that size should be a good fit.

There are also a lot of older FWC Grandbys and Hawks floating around for just a few grand, atleast around here. Since you're on the west coast, availability of used campers should be fairly good.

FWC also makes shell models that are less expensive and lesser equipped. A Hawk or Grandby shell would probably be the best fit for your truck.

http://www.fourwheelcampers.com/index.php/products/shell-model/

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles