Lr3 vs. lr4 towing

perkj

Explorer
Agreed on tires, you have killed your gearing. The 4 tows great on stock size. Put my boat in yesterday and the highway time was easy. This is with the mitchell hitch no less... ;-)

How did you get your hands on the Michell hitch? I can't seem to get a response from them.

draaronr

Adventurer
Okay went to the dealer hitched up to a 2013 lr4. Still a 6 speed transmission. Difference is night and day. 75 mph flat ground she rides along in 5th gear. And will tolerate 6th as well but will down shift at times. Never dropped to 4th at all. Actually towed nicer than my 08 sequioa So now do I sell the lr3 or keep it. Lots to ponder now.

perkj

Explorer
Now ya gotta talk the dealer into letting you put the 32s on the lr4 and see how she does. ;-)

On a serious note - One thing you may want to do is reset the transmission adaptation on you lr3. Once reset hook up your trailer and drive around with trailer for a couple hundred miles. The first 30-40 miles it'll probably drive like crap as the transmission begins to re-adapt to you driving style as well as account for the trailer. You can reset the adaption yourself if you have a faultmate or iidtool, otherwise have the dealer do it. I'd bet you'd notice an improvement.

draaronr

Adventurer
I should try that. The iidtool never jived with my truck so I gave up. I have the snap on reader that might work. The truck senses the trailer when plugged in and changes shift points slightly

Scott Brady

Founder
Our LR4 pulls strong and is particularly stable, even with a huge load. Even a little better than our Range Rover, although in fairness, this is 9,000 lbs. of G-Wagen and trailer!

1888622_10152657962303275_1672453960_n.jpg

Jwestpro

Explorer
Tried that too. Better but not much. It'll force you out of manual big brother override

That's because there isn't enough torque or power to keep it going. I'm sure you've noticed trying to use the manual selection only results in going slower and slower as the grade or wind increases.

Jwestpro

Explorer
Okay went to the dealer hitched up to a 2013 lr4. Still a 6 speed transmission. Difference is night and day. 75 mph flat ground she rides along in 5th gear. And will tolerate 6th as well but will down shift at times. Never dropped to 4th at all. Actually towed nicer than my 08 sequioa So now do I sell the lr3 or keep it. Lots to ponder now.

Maybe you just enjoyed the LR4 more than your Sequoia because the longer wheelbase (122" vs 112") and solid rear axle (with WD hitch) ought to do a better job or at least be more stable.

However, for what it is as an overall vehicle, I'm still basically impressed with the LR3. Last summer I towed a Haulmark lowrider 7x12 almost 4000 miles fully loaded to the maximums on the trailer and certainly over the rated limits on the vehicle when you take into account the hitch weight is a factor in payload on the vehicle.

While my loaded trailer weight was likely more or similar to what you were towing, it's a compact shape by design of the trailer which results in less frontal area to bring through the air. It is barely taller than the roofline of the LR3 but it is of course wider at 7 feet, though not as bad as 8.5 ft like a standard travel trailer. It's floor is maybe 12" off the ground so the weight is low. Also, being compact lengthwise it's 2 axles are closer to the ball mount so the whole package is probably about as manageable as 7500 lbs could be.

I'll post my CAT Scales numbers later for reference but I found that over 60-70 the mpg became really bad while staying below 70 and using downhills to roll into the upgrades helped. Overall it just took a reset of the mind than of the transmission ;)

--

I had a gross combined weight of just under 14000 with about 6500 being the trailer apparently based on the CAT scale.

Last edited:

rcharrette

Adventurer
LR3 with 27' Camper

We tow our 27' Kodiak camper (4800LBS dry weight, never weighed it loaded) with our 2008 LR3. We've pulled it out to California, Idaho and all around Colorado. Taking I-15 out to California we had cruise control set at 70-75MPH most of the way. The only time we've really struggled is on mountain passes, 8+% grades and 8K feet plus in altitude. It got over but I was staring at the temp gauge the whole time! I should say the gauge never moved though.
The other thing is gas mileage. I can regularly pull 18-19MPG under normal condition but once I hook up the camper I get 9-10MPG!
IMGP6424.jpg

draaronr

Adventurer
That's because there isn't enough torque or power to keep it going. I'm sure you've noticed trying to use the manual selection only results in going slower and slower as the grade or wind increases.
Exactly. It's a losing battle on the interstate.

draaronr

Adventurer
We tow our 27' Kodiak camper (4800LBS dry weight, never weighed it loaded) with our 2008 LR3. We've pulled it out to California, Idaho and all around Colorado. Taking I-15 out to California we had cruise control set at 70-75MPH most of the way. The only time we've really struggled is on mountain passes, 8+% grades and 8K feet plus in altitude. It got over but I was staring at the temp gauge the whole time! I should say the gauge never moved though.
The other thing is gas mileage. I can regularly pull 18-19MPG under normal condition but once I hook up the camper I get 9-10MPG!
View attachment 228735
That's impressive. You must be in 4th the whole time though? And 18? Hand calculated? I still wish they had a bigger gas tank. I actually like the utilitarian of the lr3 and it's all set up. But the lr4 5 liter is an engineering marvel.

Jwestpro

Explorer
I had a gross combined weight of just under 14000 (fuel topped off = 300 lbs+) with about 6500 being the trailer apparently based on the CAT scale.

photo.jpg

mpinco

Expedition Leader
20% more torque @ 12% lower rpm for the Jag V8 is the difference. Nothing like displacement for basically an air pump.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior