Lr3 vs. lr4 towing

draaronr

Adventurer
I've discussed this with a few members. I know it'll never tow like a diesel pickup but it hunts for gears. I have an lr3 slight lift, tires are 32s. Pulling a car trailer it's ok struggles a bit. Put my 5k pound camper behind it and the lack of aerodynamics kills it. It is struggling constantly at highway speeds and could real stand a load leveling sway hitch despite what lr says. My question is for guys that have pulled campers with the lr3 and the lr4 how's the power difference affect towing. Is it adequate?

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Aaron:
I pull an offroad camper/trailer with my LR3.
The difference between it pulling the trailer and my DI or a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited is night and day!
It is as if the trailer is barely there.

D

zelatore

Explorer
I think it all comes down to expectations. I'm used to towing with full size trucks. Even though they are just gas half tons (a couple 1st gen Lightnings and currently an '05 Hemi Ram) they simply out-tow the LR3 by a mile. No comparison.

My LR3 is set up similar to yours. Rods, some armor, 32s. It certainly feels hills even without a trailer. I can't imagine towing the weight I do with the pickup behind it, or for that mater anything close to the listed 7500 lb tow rating. It may do it, but it won't be pleasant and will struggle. A lot.

Usually when I see people saying what a great tow rig an LR3 is they're comparing it to a Jeep or another older Rover. Yeah, it's pretty good relative to those rides. But if you're used to towing with a domestic full-size rig of any kind I think you're just going to have to re-adjust your expectations.

I can't help you with the LR3 vs LR4. Of course it will do better than the 3, but I still wouldn't expect it to tow like a real truck.

nick325i

Adventurer
I sold my 09' Silverado 1500 with a 5.3, 33's and 4.56's for an LR4. My LR4 pulled my 18' flatbed with my project truck better than my chevy. More power and better brakes. It suffers with stability a little in comparison but not to a point where it feels dangerous. I have trailer brakes on it as well.

I would guess my trailer weighs around 2k lbs and the truck around 3.5k pounds.

I don't know how an LR3 pulls in comparison but I would say an LR4 is compatible to a 1/2 ton truck.

draaronr

Adventurer
I sold my 09' Silverado 1500 with a 5.3, 33's and 4.56's for an LR4. My LR4 pulled my 18' flatbed with my project truck better than my chevy. More power and better brakes. It suffers with stability a little in comparison but not to a point where it feels dangerous. I have trailer brakes on it as well.

I would guess my trailer weighs around 2k lbs and the truck around 3.5k pounds.

I don't know how an LR3 pulls in comparison but I would say an LR4 is compatible to a 1/2 ton truck.

Great information. Wheelbase is what it is. MThat's what I was hoping now I need someone that has had both the lrs. My gut says the extra tranny gears and extra hp go a long way

Mack73

Adventurer
Also remember those 32" tires are hurting its abilities as well. You effectively lowered your gear ratio and moved the shift points in the tranny.

Going down to the stock size will probably make it tow better.

perkj

Explorer
I've discussed this with a few members. I know it'll never tow like a diesel pickup but it hunts for gears.

Have you thought about using the LR3's manual shift mode so that way you can control what gear is best to stop the 'gear hunting' while in auto mode? Another thought would be to try the "sport mode" to see if that makes a difference to keep with full auto....the sport mode holds gears longer in the RPM range over normal so may also help in less "gear hunting"....but IMO the manual mode is likely your best option.

draaronr

Adventurer
Also remember those 32" tires are hurting its abilities as well. You effectively lowered your gear ratio and moved the shift points in the tranny.

Going down to the stock size will probably make it tow better.

Tried that too. Better but not much. It'll force you out of manual big brother override

discotdi

Adventurer
I think tires and lift are having an adverse affect. Most people I've spoken with that tow a medium size trailer or boat etc, say around 5000 lbs. think it tows very well. Obviously an LR4 will tow " better" because it has more HP and torque. Both rated the same though.

draaronr

Adventurer
I think tires and lift are having an adverse affect. Most people I've spoken with that tow a medium size trailer or boat etc, say around 5000 lbs. think it tows very well. Obviously an LR4 will tow " better" because it has more HP and torque. Both rated the same though.
Tires do affect it as stated above but it still sucks with stockers

Dmarchand

Adventurer
Agreed on tires, you have killed your gearing. The 4 tows great on stock size. Put my boat in yesterday and the highway time was easy. This is with the mitchell hitch no less... ;-)

IMG_1368.jpg

draaronr

Adventurer
Boats are easy, then cars, but the camper is like pulling a wind block down the road. That's what kills me is the aerodynamics it's not a weight issue. Very well versed in gearing etc, the land rover shift points are inadequate at the 4-5, and 5-6. Was hoping the increase in power and torque would benefit it. I'm hooking the camper up to a 2013. Lr4 Saturday and hitting interstate. I will report back. It's apples to apples. I had towed with stock tires no issues on cars or boats but annoying on the camper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke