To be a HAM or not to be a Ham????

olly hondro

mad scientist
It was renewed in 2013, was active 10 years prior to that. Does the QRZ website not show that ?

I do not listen in because most conversation is uninteresting to me. Sorry.

Last edited:

dms1

Explorer
Another reason to use ham is that when you are traveling with a group and they all have ham radios, you can make an announcement and they will all hear it at the same time whereas if you just rely on a phone (cell or satellite) you most likely will need to call each person individually.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
It was renewed in 2013, was active 10 years prior to that. Does the QRZ website not show that ?

I do not listen in because most conversation is uninteresting to me. Sorry.
I'm looking at the FCC ULS. It's my mistake, I see it now, originally issued 4/30/2003.

It's just a medium, no one says you have to enjoy the hobby. If the conversations don't interest you and you don't want to start one of your own there's nothing wrong with that. I enjoy it very much but it suits me as an engineer and a talker.

craig333

Expedition Leader
A sat phone is great for reporting an emergency, not so much for hearing about one. Last snowstorm I was in I knew where the accidents were and the local road conditions just by listening to the local repeater.

I also like checking into the local nets when I can. They've never failed to be friendly and frequently you hear some good local info. Oh you're from Sacramento, be sure to visit suchandsuch and so on. Can get that with a phone but not as easily.

In a life and death emergency, sure I want to call 911 but theres lots of other stuff. Broke down or stuck? Why not give a shout out to the locals first. Someone may be nearby or have the tools or item you need a likely won't charge a dime. If it doesn't work you can always use the phone then.

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
I don't key up too much, unless there is a net or conversation I would like to join. But I do get a kick listening to the local guys chatting on the air.
Nice to listen on road channels as well, logging trucks like it if you're clear when they meet you.

Same here. Another benefit, is monitoring local agencies. So the radio can be used as a scanner too. I monitor BLM, USF, state parks, Cal Fire, interagency operational channels. Etc...

abruzzi

Adventurer
As others have said, ham is not the best option in certain situations. HF can make long distance contacts from remote locations, but I don't think that will be reliable as satellite phones given the variable nature of propagation. If you believe the zombie apocalypse is coming, the infrastructure-less nature of HF communications may appeal to you for emergency communications, and it may even pay off in large regional emergencies where other communications channels may get overwhelmed. But when most expedition types think of emergency communications, they are thinking of situations where the world is busines as usual, but I'm in the middle of nowhere and I've rolled my truck 200 miles from anything. In those cases I'd probably trust a sat phone more than a HF rig.

However multi party communication over a dozen miles (or 50+ miles if there is a mountain top repeater) is where it really shines. If you are offroad with a few others and you need an easy way to coordinate and stay in contact, VHF/UHF ham is the best option. You could also look at FRS, GMRS, MURS, or CB for this purpose, but I think 2m or 70cm ham works better for a lot of reasons (assuming everyone in your group is licensed).

You also have local repeaters where, if traveling you are likely to find locals that know the area better than you, and are generally pretty friendly and helpful.

Geof

olly hondro

mad scientist
I built a shortwave radio when I was 12 years old, had a wall full of QSL cards from around the world. Through my teens and twenties I built my own equipment and antennas: all QRP stuff as it was a challenge. The emergence of the cell phone killed the interest in the conversational aspect of amateur radio for me, now anybody could talk anywhere with no technical knowledge. I then poked at moonbounce stuff and x-band microwave, then left the hobby altogether. The >50 mHz ticket is residual, costs nothing to maintain it, might use it someday.

ZEVRO

ZEVRO EXPEDITION
Thanks to everyone,

As a few of you said it is always a good back up and for the money it would hurt to have one on board anyway. I guess in this case it`s better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. Thanks for everyones help. I will continue to research and pick out a good unit.

robgendreau

Explorer
Unfortunately, I don't think amateur emergency radio is as good as it could be for terrestrial travel but the more of us that adopt it the better it will get. The emphasis is on amateur; it's all about what we can build for ourselves. Amateur emergency operators have proven themselves time and time again, but frankly use of amateur radio for things like auto breakdowns, getting stuck, climbing/skiing accidents, etc isn't nearly as together as say UHF in boating. Just not enough of us regularly monitoring a channel. But if enough of us do so, and it becomes more prevalent, it would far outstrip sat phones, cell phones, SPOT, inReach or whatever for rescue and aid purposes.

Rob

Frdmskr

Adventurer
Fwiw Sat Phones can be crap. Had a client with multiple deployed statewide. They never had good coverage. Not only was that particular constellation incomplete (not in a geosync orbit) but the pass data provided by the web page was never right. I saw 1 completed sat call in 3 yrs working there. That was only due to sheer frustration and bring unwilling to give up.

A radio from any service is a tool. The best thing to consider is where you are going and what you are doing. If you are staying in North America CB, GMRS or Ham can work. If you are doing Trans-Africa or the Silk Road go with Satellite Phones. If bombing around Europe or Australia consider Ham as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZEVRO

ZEVRO EXPEDITION
There are many different sat phones out there on the market. The Iridium SAT Phone is the only true global phone including polar regions. All others have limited covorage zones. I have used the Iridium phone through the Middle East, Africa, Central and South America with no issues. Immerstat and SPOTS have limited covorage areas. so if that is the limit of your trip then they work fine but myself I will go Iridium all the way. For me it`s proven itself from desert to jungle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier