To be a HAM or not to be a Ham????

freedomrider

Ordinary average guy
I like listening to CLARA (don't have the frequency handy-Claremont Repeater Association). They are a very nice bunch to listen to and very respectfull of FCC rules and regs.

Thanks. I have a list of 101 'local' repeaters and see two listed as CLARA. I'll check those out.

Back to this thread's title question "to be a ham or not?", the admission price is not very expensive and the technology is interesting so there's little to lose in checking it out. For $50 (US) you can get a dual band hand held transceiver. $15 more and a little studying gets you licensed. With that you can experiment with amateur radio utility and see if you want to go further with the technology.

jerdog53

Explorer
So a prime example of HAM over CB. This last weekend we were out in the high country, my accomplice and I are both HAMs. We ran into a guy from Texas in a JKU with Terra Grapplers stuck in a snow bank. No problem we extract him and our self's as well and all together continue down the trail. My accomplice also has a CB along with the guy from Texas so they are talking CB and he and I are talking on 2M. It is snow bank after snow bank, lots of shoveling to get through as there is nothing to wench off of. My accomplish decided he is going to run down a spur and check conditions so Tex and I sit tight at 11K feet. My accomplice rounds the end of the ridge and down a bit and disappears into the trees across the valley only to be seen periodically as a white speck. Tex loses communication on the CB no longer able to hear through the static. I on 2M have no problems talking to my accomplice with 5 watts out when he says the trail is good and to come ahead. Had we been operating on CB alone he would have to drive back to tell us that. The distance was maybe 4 miles as a crow flies.

Dougherty03

I am an Extra Class Amateur Licensee. I have vast experience using both amateur radio and satellite based telephones. I have noticed a trend in this thread, most posters are commenting on what they think the given technology will do while saying at the same time they have no experience with sat-phones or ham.

In my experience with sat-phones is they do work, but not always. This can depend on atmospheric disturbances or terrain limiting line of sight to the satellite in orbit. They also need to be charged as batteries can go dead. A small solar panel or cigarette lighter cord will work most of the time to cover that issue.

In valleys or heavily mountainous terrain I would go with HF Amateur Radio in the 75, 60, or 40 meter (3.8, 5.3, or 7.2 MHz) band. Antennas for mobile application at these frequencies can be difficult to get working well, but this is a case where experience is going to come into play. A hamstick or screwdriver antenna mounted semi horizontally will give you propagation more or less straight up, bouncing off of the ionosphere, and giving you a coverage circle of about 400 miles. Since the received signal is coming from straight up, all station will receive it inside that circle regardless of terrain. This principle is referred to as "NVIS" or Near Vertical Incidence Skywave. This type of operation isn't in the repertoire of the vast majority of Technician Class Licensees as they have almost no privileges in these frequencies. Most guys here will just get their license to get on the air legally, but Amateur Radio offers numerous solutions for those that will seek them out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near_vertical_incidence_skywave

Please shoot any questions you all may have in my direction. If I don't know, I know someone who does.

Last edited:

JimBiram

Adventurer
A second on the last comment and NVIS. Two weeks ago, we were in Monache Meadows on a trip with LandOps and set up a home made wire antenna (called a half wave dipole for the non-generals) which we tossed up into a tree and staked out the ends which took all if 5 minutes. We made contact easily with some friends nearly 200 miles north at Lake Alpine, using a similar home made antenna. Communication was loud and clear, and we could also hear others in San Francisco as well. Cost was about $50 in wire, connectors and an hour lo labor at home...great fun!

Every Day is a Good Day Surfing...Some are just Better Than Others

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wh1t3nukle

I gotz dis
Here would be my most recent experience with HAM operation in an emergency. 2 rigs had gone up to the Rubicon Trail at Loon Lake to check out the Cantina for the Con fundraiser for the RTF organization. It's a great event. We headed home, westbound on Wentworth Springs rd towards Georgetown. Roughly have way in a right hand bend there is a lady standing on shoulder opposite of me and her car on my shoulder -- she's flagging me down.

She was standing next to motorcycle rider that had called for help just loud enough for them to hear while driving by. I had the 2nd rig back up for traffic caution as we'd expect to see others come our way from the event. The rider lost the front wheel from out and went off the road about 25 yards into thick manzanita. Compound fracture to lower right leg. Helmet and full armor on. No foul play of others or himself. He dragged himself up the embankment to get within shouting distance. As I got out to meet, he was 1 foot off the pavement. We talked to assess immediate condition, very alert and conversational.

By this time, about 3 people were attempting cell phone call. We were just east of Uncle Tom's Cabin a few miles (3 to be exact, however I though it was 1). I kept asking if anyone made connection yet even though they said, "I have a signal." Well, 1 person about 1/4 block away did make contact and relayed condition and location to her. For the heck of it, I pulled my HAM out just in case she would lose connection. Took me a few attempts but raised someone on the 805 El Dorado. The connection made it to EMS quicker b/c of he knew to route directly to the local sheriff --> dispatch, whereas 911 is still determining location/region to then determine routing (chp/sheriff/forest service/etc.).

EMS arrived from Georgetown, which was maybe 30-40 minutes iirc. Helicopter was brought in to flight out. He remained in good spirits the entire time up to being loaded.

Since Saturday I've heard that he's had 2 surgery's.

Everyone on scene was alert and interested in obtaining HAM license. My wife is encouraged more b/c I would have been able to do routine check in with her during the day. I had our 2 kids with us...and no cellphone for another 1 at least (was after 8pm to start going again). She was not happy initially as every mother should be, but it's all good now.

IMG_20140830_192804134.jpg

IMG_20140830_193830077.jpg

IMG_20140830_194253764_HDR.jpg

IMG_20140830_194755426.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior