Shifter and brake upgrade-need suggestions

roamingaz

Explorer
I decided to give mt biking/bikepacking a try and though I wanted a 29nr to start I found a decent deal on 2006 26" Giant Trance 3 with 22" frame and I figured a used bike with a frame that fits me for $500 would give me more money to outfit it and if I decide it's not for me I should be able to get most of my money back.
The bike is in excellent condition for a used 8 year old bike other then the right shifter got smashed from previous owner. They are 9 speed Shimano Deore and still work ok just has a broken indicator but I really don't like the Shimano thumb/index shifter and would much rather have a Sram thumb shift and need suggestions for what will fit. The brakes are Hayes hydraulic Sole and need adjusted or bled, they stop ok but a lot of travel on the lever. The reviews I found on the Sole are less then desirable and thinking of upgrading so need some ideas.
As for bikepacking I need some bags and so far the ones I have found online I like the most are Bedrock, anyone use them or have other suggestions?
Upgrades I have done so far is replaced grips with Ergon gp2, Shimano spd pedals, and Niterider pro headlight.

rcharrette

Adventurer
Shimano SRAM

Shimano and SRAM shifter's and derailleurs are not compatible, they have a different "throw" or distance they move with each shift. The cassettes however are inter changable. So, if you want SRAM shifters you need to change at least the rear derailleur. The front "might" work ok.
If the brakes work and don't rub I'd run them until you have problems but over the past 8 years they've certainly improved the reliability and performance of disk brakes. Can't go wrong with Avid IMO.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
9 speed mountain bike parts are going to be really easy to pick up cheap on EBAY or CL...I would say 9 speed MTB is like 10 speed Road...there is so much of the parts out there used and now that 10spd MTB and 11 spd road are chic...you can find great deals...especially on lower level parts spec that function just as good as the race level stuff...
I used to think I needed DA and XO stuff...now all my bikes have xt and x9/x7...I don't notice any difference except for the bling is gone:snorkel:

I also like the sram shifters better than shimano...that is until shimano started the double downshift feature but I think that is only on their 10speed mtb stuff...
Durability wise I have never had a problem with either...

I have the revelate bags...I would recommend the bags and the customer service I have received...A+++ in

If you ever want company I am a bikepacking noob also...I have done a few overnights but would like to work up to some weekend trips this summer...

Theprofessional

Silent Footfalls
The Sram X9 is the smoothest derailleur you'll ever use, though I also am an advocate for SS. I could recommend Code brakes, but I don't know about brakes outside of downhill.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Andrew from Bedrock is one helluva nice guy and as talented as any. I only use Bedrock bags as a result. I had the pleasure of meeting Andrew and his dad at Overland Expo and can't say enough kind things about him.

Start with a seat bag, then go with a bar back. Only commit to a frame bag when you have decided on a bike you'll keep for a while.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Andrew from Bedrock is one helluva nice guy and as talented as any. I only use Bedrock bags as a result. I had the pleasure of meeting Andrew and his dad at Overland Expo and can't say enough kind things about him.

Start with a seat bag, then go with a bar back. Only commit to a frame bag when you have decided on a bike you'll keep for a while.
I agree those bags do look skookum. I'm shoping for a bar holster and a seat bag now and Bedrock are on the top 3 that I'm looking at.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles