Little Bit of Everything 3rd Gen 4runner - MojaveMadMan Edition

SIZZLE

Pro-party
Cool truck. I really like the bumper. Your radiator looks a little scared tho. I love the big tire, low lift look. Keep 'em coming!

MojaveMadMan

Observer
Cool truck. I really like the bumper. Your radiator looks a little scared tho. I love the big tire, low lift look. Keep 'em coming!

Thanks for the good words! I too like the big tire, low truck set up. Even when I do upgrade the suspension I will only be going up 1.5" max. When I went out over the weekend I was definetly in need of just a little more lift. Really not much though, there were only a couple times I was close on things, and I don't need much to fix it.

I think I am missing the radiator refference here? Not sure what you mean...

rickashay

Explorer
Awesome build man. No lift and 33's looks deadly and that front bumper is very unique!

Just saw your comment in my tundra/LX thread and thought I would creep a little. Nice build, glad I stopped by!

MojaveMadMan

Observer
Awesome build man. No lift and 33's looks deadly and that front bumper is very unique!

Just saw your comment in my tundra/LX thread and thought I would creep a little. Nice build, glad I stopped by!

Thanks for the good words. I liked your 4runner alot, deff one of the build threads that got me really thinking about building one. I have been a little stalled out on my build while my wife and I sell one of our houses, I am hoping I can get started again soon... Good luck on the Tundra decission, not an easy one...

Arclight

SAR guy
Your story with the knock sensor is the same as what happened to me. I developed a rod knock on my motor, and coincidentally also got a CEL for knock sensor. When I did the rebuild, I replaced the knock sensor harness as well. Unfortunately, the same thing happened - one of the knock sensors relaly was bad and it was a fairly extensive job to replace.

The bench test in the FSM calls for testing it for short/open. What I finally did was hooked it up to an oscilloscope and tapped on it with a wrench. Sure enough, the good knock sensor clearly makes pulses and the bad one was stone cold dead.

Arclight

MojaveMadMan

Observer
Your story with the knock sensor is the same as what happened to me. I developed a rod knock on my motor, and coincidentally also got a CEL for knock sensor. When I did the rebuild, I replaced the knock sensor harness as well. Unfortunately, the same thing happened - one of the knock sensors relaly was bad and it was a fairly extensive job to replace.

The bench test in the FSM calls for testing it for short/open. What I finally did was hooked it up to an oscilloscope and tapped on it with a wrench. Sure enough, the good knock sensor clearly makes pulses and the bad one was stone cold dead.

Arclight

Ya those things suck... I am a pro at taking off the intake now though, haha. I guess it will be good experience for when I do the SC install...

Really nice bumper build!

Thank you! Still have some finish work to do in the near future. I have my sliders I need to finish, a rear bumper brewing in my head, and oh ya, I am planning on building a rear half cage... a lot of fab work to do. Oh well, I enjoy it so I am excited!

MojaveMadMan

Observer
So it's been 2.5 months since I posted an update. Things have been on hold for us as we were in the process of selling our house in CA and needed to buckle down for a little bit. But now as that is wrapping up I am finally able to get back at it.

Here are a few things that will be in the works the next 4 months
- Finish front bumper - Needs a skid plate, and lower skid made
- Sliders - I need to build these, I have all the plates ready, just need tubing and time
- Wiring - I am no good at wiring, but want to do a top notch job. I have my switch housing, I need switches and relays and I want to try and do this as professional as possible. I have to at least wire up my front bumper lights and I want to set everything else up so as I get parts in, I just plug and play
- Rear Bumper - I am going to start work on my rear bumper/tire carrier
- Roll Cage - This will be last, I want to do something either in the cargo area, or maybe all the way up. This will be more of a "sport" cage, so it will be bolt in and won't be as crazy as a full time off-roader. I want the added protection for my family, but with them in the rig, we won't ever be getting crazy.

And the funnest one, and the one that is happening soonest, I ordered 5 new wheels and will be doing the Tundra brake upgrade! I talked to Vin at SCS yesterday and ordered up 5 of his F-5 wheels in matte bronze! They are the 16" x 8" wheels with 3.5" back spacing. I choose these for a few reasons. First is that I hate wheel spacers, I have tried them a few times and never been happy with them. With the 3.5" back spacing I get a wider stance without having to use spacers. Second, they are a 16" x 8" wheel which is also a requirement. I just got new tires so I wasn't about to order larger wheels, nor do I really like larger wheels. Third, these will allow me to do the Tundra brake upgrade. My brakes are squeaking and are kind of weak. So if a brake job needs to be done, it would be a waste to put 4runner stuff back on. Forth, these are some great looking wheels and I have always wanted bronze wheels. I told myself I wouldn't buy wheels just for looks and would only do it when I needed to, and now I have a reason so I bought some good looking ones, haha. And last, Vin at SCS is a top notch guy and his customer service was 10 out of 10!!! New wheels should be here Friday, very excited. Tundra brakes to follow. Here is a pic courtesy of Vin.

ColtonA7X

I really like the build! Post some pics once you get that sliders and bumper skid installed. (I would be nervous with the radiator exposed like that)

MojaveMadMan

Observer
Time for some updates:

Got the wheels on a week ago! They look good, but they do add a little work to my plate. They are the 3.5" back spacing version, making my 4runner 1" wider per side. Great because I don't need wheel spacers for Tundra brakes and maybe a bypass shock later (in my dreams), but bad for my fenders and tires, haha. They now rub on my limited fenders a little bit and on the body when I turn (at ride height).

So my first thing I did was take out the angle grinder and a big hammer. I was able to cut away some of the limited fender, did some grinding and cutting to the body and finished it off with some "light" hammer work. This is a temp fix and gives me about a 1/4" of spacing which will at least let me get around town. This thing will soon be going up on jack stands and I am going to repeat what I did when I first got my tires. Front shocks are coming off and this thing is going to get bumped and cut on to make sure I no longer have any rubbing.

Some pictures:

Got my Tundra brakes on last night! The 13WL 231mm version. The hardest parts was getting the dang hard lines lined up, haha.

Parts:
- Toyota Pads and Shims
- Napa Calipers
- Napa Rotors

I wanted to do braided lines while I was at it, but my brakes where squealing like a pig and I needed to get them done. I will do lines when I do my suspension.

The standard pictures.

Also I have a change of plans for the direction this rig is going. I was going to do a full up mid travel suspension system with 2.5" shocks and the whole nine yards. Well I got the go ahead from the wife to build my dream truck, 60's F100, so I am going to tailor things down a bit on the 4runner build so that I can get a truck early next year. Here are the new plans:

- Finish front bumper skid and skids going back to the transfer case.
- Build a roll bar in the cargo area to protect the kids when they are in the rig. This will be frame mounted, but will have poly bushings to help try and keep the vibes down.
- Sliders need to be finished and installed.
- Rear bumper needs to be fabbed and the swing out built as well. I have the 5th rim so I need to get a tire for it to finish that off.
- Suspension is the big change, I am switching to a smaller set up, either a Sonoran Steel 1.2 kit or something similar. Also going to do all new tie rods, LCA bushings, rack bushings, and everything I need in the front end so it's good as new. The rear will get custom adjustable links I will make with hiems and poly bushings as well.
- Interior will get a new radio, and I need to wire up my dang switches. Might do something simple for now as I don't need the 10 switches my 3D printed holder has openings for. Also gunna try my hand at making some new seat covers. I am getting some old leather seat skins and I am gunna take them apart and see if I can re-produce some new ones with vinyl and tweed, more like a race seat.

I am sure I am missing some stuff. If anyone has suggestions please feel free. This may not be a big thing to most, but I am a big suspension guy so this is a complete change up for me!

MojaveMadMan

Observer
Look what I found on Craigslist! Sonoran Steel 1.2 kit, got a killer deal on it. I need to collect a couple other small things to do while I have the front end apart, then it will be install time!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94