2014 KTM 690 Enduro R thoughts

wesel123

Explorer
So yesterday I put a deposit on one of the remaining '14 690's a local dealer had (not in his shop yet, it's in transit).

Wanted to get anyone's real opinion on the bike. I know ADV has a ton of threads but I can't seem to find the answers I need.

1) Does it shake like the 640? I've had 2 640's and loved it's ability but couldn't be on it on the road for more than an hour.

2) True reliability. Again along with the 640's I have had I had a few 450's and 400 EXC's, never once let me down, but have heard/read other wise.

I'm pretty much done with the big adventure bike realm. Wife is not keen on me riding on the fine streets of LA (I kinda agree). But still want a bike that I could do the Mojave trail or TAT. And of coarse a bike that is fun to ride in the dirt and put on a hitch carrier. Therefore KLR's, DR's not in the mix, I have had 3 KLR's and I don't care what anyone says the suck in the dirt. That could be due to the fact that I've had a few KTM's :victory:

Any thoughts/criticisms would be great.

Thanks

Expeditionmarc

So yesterday I put a deposit on one of the remaining '14 690's a local dealer had (not in his shop yet, it's in transit).

Wanted to get anyone's real opinion on the bike. I know ADV has a ton of threads but I can't seem to find the answers I need.

1) Does it shake like the 640? I've had 2 640's and loved it's ability but couldn't be on it on the road for more than an hour.

2) True reliability. Again along with the 640's I have had I had a few 450's and 400 EXC's, never once let me down, but have heard/read other wise.

I'm pretty much done with the big adventure bike realm. Wife is not keen on me riding on the fine streets of LA (I kinda agree). But still want a bike that I could do the Mojave trail or TAT. And of coarse a bike that is fun to ride in the dirt and put on a hitch carrier. Therefore KLR's, DR's not in the mix, I have had 3 KLR's and I don't care what anyone says the suck in the dirt. That could be due to the fact that I've had a few KTM's :victory:

Thanks

It's a great bike I have a 2014 and every time I get on it it keeps making me smile. I think you will be pleased with it. Here is a video of my bike with mods I did. http://youtu.be/ObqzGnt5EpY

wesel123

Explorer
LOL.... I watched your video a few days ago. Love the new light set up, who makes that again?

I test road a used 2010 the other day and it was a bit vibby, how is yours? I was told the did a few changes to the dual counter balancers on the '14's.

Expeditionmarc

LOL.... I watched your video a few days ago. Love the new light set up, who makes that again?

I test road a used 2010 the other day and it was a bit vibby, how is yours? I was told the did a few changes to the dual counter balancers on the '14's.

It's a lynx fairing by britannia composites http://www.britanniacomposites.com. No dramatic vibrations until 120 kilometres per hour. (70 mph). I have done 100km of off road fire roads and it's the best dual sport motorcycle for that I did some single track can be a hand full after 15 min. Cheers

CodyY

Explorer
Hard to go wrong. As a fellow Ernge Koolaid sipper, you know the drill; regular oil changes and "dirt bike" maintenance intervals. But the payoff is worth every minute.

Upgrade the fuel tank bushings, add gas, and ride the piss outta her

airjammer

Observer
Can you get your deposit back? It depends on what you want to use it for. This is a new model year for the bike with changes being made to electronics, fuel delivery, etc. I wouldn't buy any new vehicle based on this.
IMO, A 450 or 500 will be more reliable based on the simplicity and utility alone....and versatile off road. re: vibration. not an issue. My buddy has a 14 and it is smooth, has had issues with mapping, airbox and electrical. Not good for long distance travel or solo exp. I love KTM and have owned several (all 530xcw) so I'm not bashing. \ consider the type of riding you want to do and wait until KTM gets the bugs out of the new 690. .

Thanks

Cody1771

Explorer
Can you get your deposit back? It depends on what you want to use it for. This is a new model year for the bike with changes being made to electronics, fuel delivery, etc. I wouldn't buy any new vehicle based on this.
IMO, A 450 or 500 will be more reliable based on the simplicity and utility alone....and versatile off road. re: vibration. not an issue. My buddy has a 14 and it is smooth, has had issues with mapping, airbox and electrical. Not good for long distance travel or solo exp. I love KTM and have owned several (all 530xcw) so I'm not bashing. \ consider the type of riding you want to do and wait until KTM gets the bugs out of the new 690. .

where did you get that info from? KTM usually has there stuff together pretty good, and the 690 is a tried and proven bike. personally I wouldn't be worried at all, and anything that did happen should happen within the first year and be under warrenty. There is a big difference between the 530 and the 690. the 530 is a race bike with lights, and maintenance to go along with it. the 690 is an adventure bike, 3000 mile oil changes, 25000 mile valve check ect. different beasts all together.

CodyY

Explorer
690 is hardly a new model much less to 2014. I would think that any bike that's been successful in the Dakar Rally is is proven as its going to get. That would include in the 530, the LC 4, and of course the 950

Willman

690 is one of the best bikes out there. I have been drooling over this machine for a while now. You really have a nice 690. Love the Wolfman luggage.

I was really surpriced by this thread:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/123074-TE630-Husqvarna-The-Scout

Wonder how the Husqvarna stacks up after Scott is done putting her through all his tests....

It's a great bike I have a 2014 and every time I get on it it keeps making me smile. I think you will be pleased with it. Here is a video of my bike with mods I did. http://youtu.be/ObqzGnt5EpY

Nice bike & Video! Love the front Dakar setup. Your other video with surprising your better half was great! My wife got a kick out of it. Hope she loves the bike.

Last edited:

Jim1960

Observer
I bought mine in September 2014 for a birthday present. Unfortunately I have not been able to ride it as much as I would like. However, my first 365 miles were in Death Valley pounding over all the rocky roads and the bike was flawless. In fact I now have to put a sticker on the speedo "Slow Down" or I will kill myself because this bike installs a lot of confidence. If I were to ride it on a slabbed road trip, I would raise the bars and put rubber anti vibe pads on. I would add a Lynx fairing and a scotts stabilizer, and gear it for highway use. At 305 Pounds, it's really gets knocked around by the wind on slab. My 990 is the perfect slab bike and it's little brother the 690 is the best for dirt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne